Financial Happiness literature recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
joo2lo

Financial Happiness literature recommendations

Post by joo2lo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

It's the beginning of 2018 and I just about finished getting my wife and I's finances set for the rest of the year.

1) Just finished re-balancing our retirement accounts, continuing course with our current asset allocation
2) Contributions from our paychecks are set so our 401k's are maxed out by December
3) Automatically setting money aside into a savings account to front-load our back-door Roth's in 2019
4) Automatically contributing to a joint-taxable account each month
5) 3 months worth of Emergency fund is funded in a high yield savings account
6) Student loans were refinanced from about 7% to 2.95% interest
7) We are continuing to save a portion of our paychecks for a house down payment for which we are about 1/3 away from our goal
8) Our life, disability, renter's, and automobile policies are up to date with our current needs
9) We are trying to have a child this year and already opened a 529 account which we put $100/month into (figure this will go up once we' have a child *praying)
10) Enough money in our budget is left over after expenses for us to live comfortably, in moderation, and within our means.

We are in our early 30's, just starting out our careers, and I've been so set in getting our financial nest eggs and budget in place this past year. I feel I am at a point were more focus can be placed in trying to "enjoy the ride" more, "stopping to smell the roses," and doing things that bring the most meaning and happiness to life while still trying to attain FIRE. Can anyone recommend any good books or reads that cover this topic? Thanks in advance.

Re: Financial Happiness literature recommendations

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Language and The Pursuit of Happiness was a personal game changer:

https://www.amazon.com/Language-Pursuit ... 0974948705
This compelling new book shares a way of understanding your language and your conversations (including those you have with yourself!) that has proven to be a powerful, practical basis for real change and lasting improvements - at home, at work and everywhere in between. Here is the promise of this new book by personal coach and seminar leader Chalmers Brothers: We speak ourselves into the world, whether we're aware of what we're doing or not. Our language and our conversations are incredibly active, creative and generative. not merely passive and descriptive. And they are directly connected to our relationships, our effectiveness, our moods and emotions and our physical bodies. Full of humor, real-life examples and practical how-to's, this book is essential reading for those seeking to achieve and maintain a balance of peacefulness and productivity - what we may call happiness - in their lives.
May you find it as beneficial as I did.

joo2lo

Post by joo2lo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Thank you for this :) I will definitely look into it.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by “Financial Happiness.”

There are important and worthwhile books out there on happiness, and then there are other important and worthwhile books on human behavior and finances.

In the former category, Daniel Gilbert’s Stumbling on Happiness is outstanding. (There’s also an audio book read by the author, and this is a book that lends itself to listening.)

In the latter category, there’s Kahneman’s Thinking, Fast and Slow. You will learn how to identify congitive biases and traps when it comes to dealing with finances, as well as a host of profound insights about how and why we think and react the way we do.

And then there’s the excellent Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them by Belsky and Gilovich.

I question the efficacy of the literature of happiness. But you can eliminate the stresses and strains of uninformed thinking about things financial, and that may pave the way toward greater peace of mind and contentment.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 am

basspond

Post by basspond » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:19 am

Proverbs 13