Turbotax Online vs CD/download

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CorradoJr

Turbotax Online vs CD/download

Post by CorradoJr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

I’ve always used Turbotax Deluxe CD version for my relatively simple (one W2 for each spouse, itemized deductions which I import from Its Deductible and only a few 1099-DIV forms) tax returns. This year, my understanding is that I will not be be to use the CD/download version because my old laptop is still running Windows Vista.

Can anyone comment on any significant differences between the online version and the CD product? Intuit’s website is not very clear and seems to obfuscate the online/CD “highlights” as much as possible. I may even try their mobile app if it’s relatively the same.

I always felt safe saving a PDF and then printing a hardcopy of the return to keep with my important documents- will I still be able to do this with the Online version?

emoore

Re: Turbotax Online vs CD/download

Post by emoore » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 am

CorradoJr wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am
I’ve always used Turbotax Deluxe CD version for my relatively simple (one W2 for each spouse, itemized deductions which I import from Its Deductible and only a few 1099-DIV forms) tax returns. This year, my understanding is that I will not be be to use the CD/download version because my old laptop is still running Windows Vista.

Can anyone comment on any significant differences between the online version and the CD product? Intuit’s website is not very clear and seems to obfuscate the online/CD “highlights” as much as possible. I may even try their mobile app if it’s relatively the same.

I always felt safe saving a PDF and then printing a hardcopy of the return to keep with my important documents- will I still be able to do this with the Online version?
I’m the opposite in that I’ve used the online version for many years but I want to try the CD now. The online version forces me to use premier because I have a rental property. The CD deluxe version has schedule E for rentals so I’m going to try that. Seems like you can do more with the lower versions on the CD. And yes you can save a pdf from the online version. I do it every year.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 am

I have not used online in years so not sure if it is still accurate. One thing I didn't like about online is that it doesn't let you "peer" into the calculations behind the form. That's a big advantage with the downloaded version.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Have used online version exclusively for years, like it , never a problem - use the premier version , handles all my needs - income entries are SS , RMD , pension plus input from Forms 1099DIV , 1099B , 1099INT and the SSA from SS , pretty basic stuff .

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm

CorradoJr wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

First and foremost, Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and using it without protection is not a good idea, especially with you own ultra sensitive income tax information.

Please get a new computer and it can be a relatively inexpensive model.

Using the online version may require you to upgrade to the Premier version, depending on what items you have. Here is a product comparison for their online versions.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... deluxe.jsp

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 pm

I believe the download version is more flexible at doing things like multiple returns for MFJ vs MFS, checking scenarios with multiple copies etc.

But for me, I don't like having so much of my private data in one online site (no matter how well it's protected), unless it's absolutely required by law.

So, I wouldn't even consider online.
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm

I've used both.

I like the CD version more. I get to save a version of my tax. Then I can modify my taxes in different ways, and then jump back to a previous version of my taxes if I messed up. Maybe there is a way to do it online but I don't know how.

The benefit of online is everything is online. I don't have to worry about my laptop blows up or I lost my backup copy.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 pm
I believe the download version is more flexible at doing things like multiple returns for MFJ vs MFS, checking scenarios with multiple copies etc.
This. Chromebook is my daily driver but I bought a Mac mini on eBay so I could use the CD and run scenarios.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

BerkeleyChris

Post by BerkeleyChris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:16 pm

I have filed with both, starting with CD quite a long time ago then moving to online version of TT for a few years. Online worked very nicely for me several years in a row--but then one year I started a return with the online version and had a tax situation that required a less commonly used form that I had to edit manually. After going through TT customer service, I learned the functionality for this form existed only on the CD/download product and not the online version. There was no way to copy my work from online to desktop and I had to start all my data entry over. I've stuck with buying the CD ever since.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 am

I have used and like both online and CD versions. This year I bought CD premier version at Costco at about $50 which enables me to do both federal and state taxes plus I can do my son's taxes. That is much more cost effective than the equivalent returns online. I need premier for my investment returns.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 am

If you use the CD version, you do not need Premier to record investment returns. In fact, you only need the Basic CD version.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I bought the TT Deluxe CD with one state form for $40. My CD reader on my old desktop stopped working so I looked at the download version. The CD version was $40 and the download version was $50 on Amazon which makes no sense to me. I bought a $20 external USB optical drive and the TT disk loaded fine. The USB optical drive will also be useful for my newer laptops that don't have them. Just a reminder to compare prices.
Best Wishes, SpringMan