HR Block multiple states (cost of software)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
marklar13

HR Block multiple states (cost of software)

Post by marklar13 »

Hi all. I moved last year and need to file taxes to two states. I already purchased HR Block 2017 software + 1 state. That purchase cost me $20 at the time, and the same download is on amazon right now for $30.

In the program, to add an additional state it costs $39.95. This seems unreasonable seeing as I can buy the entire program + state for $30 (or probably search around to get it for even less). Anyone have any experience with this? Is there any way to purchase an additional state outside the program (hopefully at a discount) and tack it on?

I suppose I could just buy another full download and install on a different computer... but that seems like overkill to save a few bucks.
Topic Author
marklar13

Re: HR Block multiple states (cost of software)

Post by marklar13 »

FYI -- I just chatted with their online support. At first they suggested that I download the full copy to another computer. I was polite and responded that it likely wouldn't be worth the hassle, at which point the representative said they could provide me a link for a free state installation...

That sounded good, but then when I provided them my info they said they could not generate the link because I purchased through a 3rd party (amazon) and not from their website... so they were unable to look up my purchase. Seems strange to me, since I registered the product with my activation code, name, email, etc... but not much I can do about it.