Equifax issues

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Sheriff

Equifax issues

Post by Sheriff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am

Hi, everytime i try to apply online for banks that only use equifax i get asked 4 ridiculous unrelated to me loan questions and i get rejected, i'm trying to figure out why experian and trans banks do ask me questions related to my credit file but equifax make up questions out of the blue, i also tried to get my annualreport and as expected i got equifax and trans with no issues but equifax again asks 4 loan questions and refuse to provide my online report and ask me to send sensitive info through mail if i want to get it, i've never had any loans btw, I've been looking for an answer but all i can find is people with the same issue as me and no answer, if they call equifax they get to talk to some foreigner who barely speak english and will ask them to upgrade service to "fix" the issue and at the end they end up paying for an useless service and never get the problem solved, If equifax themselves have no idea who are you or how to update theyr files them equifax is less tham useless, why some banks keep using them? And is there anyway to fix that?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Equifax issues

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

I don't have an answer for you, but I ran into something similar last year. I don't remember whether or not it was Equifax or one of the others. I think it was Equifax. It was a few weeks after the breach and I thought it would be a good time to get my annual credit report. No problems with two of the credit reporting agencies, but one of them asked me totally bizarre questions. It wasn't just that they were unrelated to my credit history, it was that it really looked as if they were looking at the WRONG credit history. The first question had to do with whether I had a student loan and, if so, whom it was with. One of the answers is "I don't have a student loan." Fine. I checked that. The second question asked me what them monthly payments on my student loan were! There were four ranges, and no option of "not applicable" or "zero." I don't remember what I answered. It then kicked me out and said I couldn't get my credit report that way. So I requested it... let me think... via phone? paper mail? Don't remember. And got it, and it was OK.

I suspect that their computer had screwed up and was looking at Niece E. Priebus's student loans or something like that, but who knows? Not too confidence-inspiring when you're worrying about data breaches and identity theft.

I don't know how you resolve it, but requesting your credit report from Equifax might be one way to start. Remember, the right URL is https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action and when it comes up it will say "the only source for your free credit reports. Authorized by Federal law."[/b] Don't be victimized by fake sites that hope you will make a mistake on the name. ANNUALcreditreport.com .

As to how they stay in business, remember: you and I are not their customer. We are their product. We are what they are selling. It is the people who buy information about us that are their customers and need to be happy.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Equifax could have either mistakes in your credit file or someone opened accounts in your name that only equifax sees. You might try going the phone route to get your credit report from them to check for errors. Otherwise you will either have to mail them the required information or submit it online. If you can’t create an account online due to the misinformation, you have no choice but to send the sensitive info by mail. Use certified mail so you know they got it, freeze your other 2 credit reports to minimize any damage in the remote event the info is compromised via mail. They do have a place on their website where you can upload documents.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credi ... haw-guide/

When I froze my credit I discovered equifax still had my wife’s address as the one we moved from 18 years ago. Mistakes are very common.

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 pm

I gues i will have to mail them my info, i got my social security around feb 2017 due to adjustment of status that's why there's no way i could have 2012 and 2014 loans(even if identity thief was involve), exp and trans have 100% accurate info about me unlike eq, hopefully sending my info will help but i doubt it, it might get me my updated credit score score but as for updating my file to match security questions from bank applications i doubt it.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

I just received a letter from Equifax today, that isn't relevant to your issue but might give you an idea of their competency. I placed a security freeze with them last year. Today I received a letter from them that states that a new address XXX was posted to my file in the last 30 days. They write in the letter that "the address that was previously reported as your current address is YYY".

So here's the punchline. I moved from YYY to XXX in June 2008. When I applied for the security freeze last year I obviously used my current address, XXX. How could Equifax not know that address YYY was almost a decade old??

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

These questions are from one or more standard services financial institutions use to try to establish authenticated identity. It is just yet another broken attempt to implement proper authentication in the digital age. Vanguard uses this method in certain situations as well.
Index fund investor since 1987.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I seemed to have trouble with Experian every year when I tried to pull an online free credit report.

And I have absolutely no idea why! Maybe I got blacklisted by them because I asked them to correct an erroneous birthday from mmdd1901 to my real birthday. Geez, how many people born in 1901 are still alive?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Sheriff wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 pm
I gues i will have to mail them my info
That has been my experience whenever I get rejected by the online verification process.
HueyLD wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm
Geez, how many people born in 1901 are still alive?
There are a handful of super-centenarians still alive. :P

cas

Post by cas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Sheriff wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 pm
I gues i will have to mail them my info,
If what you are trying to accomplish is to get your annual credit report via annualcreditreport.com, many people have discovered that they don't have to mail in the sensitive info (despite what Equifax says). Just use the annualcreditreport.com automated phone request method instead of the online method. If there is really nothing amiss with your credit report, and the nonsense questions are purely Equifax's problem (as is the case for many people), your credit report should arrive in the mail after a couple of weeks.

For more information, see the bogleheads thread "Problems obtaining a free annual Equifax credit report online" viewtopic.php?t=227651#p3553193
The number is 1-877-322-8228. You can find it by going to the "All About Credit Reports" tab on annualcreditreport.com and then on the left, "Getting your Credit reports." Scroll down and you'll see that phone number. It's automated, it took me about 8 mins to go through when I did it.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm
I just received a letter from Equifax today, that isn't relevant to your issue but might give you an idea of their competency. I placed a security freeze with them last year. Today I received a letter from them that states that a new address XXX was posted to my file in the last 30 days. They write in the letter that "the address that was previously reported as your current address is YYY".

So here's the punchline. I moved from YYY to XXX in June 2008. When I applied for the security freeze last year I obviously used my current address, XXX. How could Equifax not know that address YYY was almost a decade old??
I had this happen once as well. What probably happened is that this was the last address reported by a creditor to Equifex. You had an account with this creditor when you lived at YYY, and you did not change your address with that creditor because you had closed the account. Thus, when the creditor updated your account record, the creditor reported the YYY address again.
Wiki David Grabiner

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am

OP - I wish I knew the answer to your question. All I can tell you is that 2011 was the last time I was able to get my Equifax report online from annualcreditreport.com. Every year since, I get asked 4 questions that have absolutely nothing to do with me or my credit file, past or present. I answer none of the above, and then I get rejected from getting my report online. This year, after getting rejected, I used the automated phone system. There are no errors in my Equifax report and absolutely nothing to indicate where they are getting nonsense questions from. No problem with Experian or Transunion in this regard--they ask answerable/legit questions. I called Equifax about this multiple times, and not surprisingly, they could never supply any type of explanation for the nonsense questions. When I signed up for Credit Karma account, I was asked 3 nonsense questions (I assume they must have used Equifax), but miraculously, I was able to create my account after selecting "none of the above" for all questions. I wouldn't be shocked that if I were to purchase a credit report directly from equifax website, that it would still ask unrelated questions. I would love to know the answer to this question as well, but like you said, there are a bunch of people who've had the same experience, got their report a different way, and found nothing wrong with their report.

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am
I wouldn't be shocked that if I were to purchase a credit report directly from equifax website, that it would still ask unrelated questions.
Actually i read somewhere a guy was just like you and me getting 4 loan questions non related to him for the free report, he got tired and paid for what is suposed to be free and gues what, they asked him 4 fair questions LOL.... just after he paid, i will try to avoid any banks that use equifax and will probably lock them in the future if they keep doing that, they don't want me to use equifax then they wont be able to sell my info to nobody neither.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 am

Sheriff wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am
Actually i read somewhere a guy was just like you and me getting 4 loan questions non related to him for the free report, he got tired and paid for what is suposed to be free and gues what, they asked him 4 fair questions LOL.... just after he paid, i will try to avoid any banks that use equifax and will probably lock them in the future if they keep doing that, they don't want me to use equifax then they wont be able to sell my info to nobody neither.
I heard/read that as well on here. But I also heard of others in our position who also got fed up and tried to pay for the report through Equifax, got the same bogus questions, couldn't get their report, and were charged for it anyway!

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Called to the number and the request has been processed, will have the report in about two weeks delivery, i don't really needed the report just wanted my real info to come in form of questions when applying online for eq banks but.. i gues if they do have my report that's a begining.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Sign up for Credit Karma. They give you both Equifax and Trans Union information for free. Not as comprehensive as obtaining your actual report. However, it gives you enough information on your payment history, number of open and closed accounts, and other information. Finally, you could determine if there was some funny business going on such as credit card or loan usage not initiated by you. It is free. :happy

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am

I still don't know the answer to the original question. If anyone ever gets some definitive info on why/how Equifax asks 4 bogus questions that are NOT coming from the individual's actual report, I would love to know. But I did notice something strange that may or may not have anything to do with it and figured I'd mention it. To provide some context, the last time I was able to successfully get my Equifax report online was 2011. I most recently got it by phone (after online kept failing and asking me sets of bogus questions) in 09/2017. In my equifax report from 2011, next to my current/previous addresses, there's a column labeled "date reported" and it was blank next to each address. So I looked at my TransUnion and Experian reports, and the date reported column shows a month/year for each address that correlated with the month/year I moved to each address. So then I looked at my Equifax report from 09/2017, and next to my current and previous addresses in the date reported column, it showed 09/2017 for all of them (the month/year I pulled the report). This makes no sense to me at all--that equifax seems to have no idea when each previous address was reported, and I was wondering if that somehow relates to the bogus questions each time I attempt to pull my report. But if other people who also get asked 4 unrelated-to-them questions don't have this same problem I described above, then i guess it has nothing to do with it and just demonstrates more of the credit bureau incompetence.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

I received a similar letter from Equifax last month, except that the address they had on file for me was more than 20 years old. It was an old college address. Their incompetence knows no bounds.