Letter from Social Security re Fraudulent Claim

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Small Law Survivor

Letter from Social Security re Fraudulent Claim

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 pm

I am not on Social Security or Medicare. I have not filed for Medicare.

I've received a letter from SSA asking me to "please" visit their office before the end of January regarding "a claim that could have been filed fraudulently using your social security number."

They instruct me to bring this letter, and they identify the person I should ask for. I searched this name (which is very distinctive), and he is listed as a "former" employee of SSA (as of 2015) on the federalpay.org website.

The address of the social security office on the letter (instructing me where to go) is correct.

They don't ask me to make an appointment - just show up with ID and ask for this specific person (what if he's on vacation/sick day? - guess that's my problem).

Anyone seen anything like this before? This is a very odd letter.

livesoft

Re: Letter from Social Security re Fraudulent Claim

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm

What did the local office say when you called them?

I have not seen anything like this before.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm

This is very strange. If it's real, I can't imaging the SSA taking this approach (no appointment, contact person appears to have retired, etc.)

If it's fake, I can't imagine what a scammer is hoping to accomplish.
Semper Augustus

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm
IMO, it's a clever screening process. The scammer can probably accomplish practically anything they want on anyone foolish enough to fall for this and show up.
JW
Retired at Last

Post by 123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I really don't see a problem with the letter. If you go into an office you'd be dealing with authorized employees (assuming you don't find him sitting in the waiting room). If the request to come in is flexible, i.e. before the end of January, the office will have others who can assist you in the event the named individual isn't available (that is what bureaucracy is all about). They may want to see you to confirm the situation and/or gather additional information if they intend to pursue legal aspects of the fraudulent claim. They may ask you about your earnings over the years to take action to eliminate any "earnings scramble" if someone else has used your SSN. Perhaps the "claim" was filed with the IRS (i.e tax return) and SSA is involved in the investigation.
Last edited by 123 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm
Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm
IMO, it's a clever screening process. The scammer can probably accomplish practically anything they want on anyone foolish enough to fall for this and show up.
JW
But, the letter asks OP to show up at the correct address for SS, so how can this be a reasonable scam? Livesoft's question is dead on: what did the local SS office tell you when you called to inquire?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

I on addition to calling and going to the local office, check your credit reports at annual credit report.com, create a my ss account and review it, and freeze your credit with the 3 bureaus.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

I think the only way to resolve this mystery is to show up at the local SSA office and ask for clarification.

No time for online or phone tags.

The SSA does take walk-in’s.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:59 pm

And if/when you go to the local office talk to one government employee about it how would any scammer know you were there, talking to them? I don't see anything to lose by taking the letter to the SSA office and asking about it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Anything to lose? How about one's precious time?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

The former federal SS worker may have been rehired or may be working as a contractor. I can't see how showing up at the real SS office with the letter in hand can be dangerous unless there are several SS employees all in on some kind of scam.

This is not impossible, but it seems less likely than they actually do need to talk to you about a fraudulent claim made against your SSN.

diy60

Post by diy60 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm

As others above have stated, this from the Office of the Inspector General, Social Security Administration website . . .

If a person has questions about any communication—email, letter, text or phone call—that claims to be from SSA or the OIG, please contact your local Social Security office, or call Social Security’s toll-free customer service number at 1-800-772-1213, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, to verify its legitimacy. (Those who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can call Social Security’s TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.)

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Setting OP up for a burglary while they are out? But surely there are easier ways to make a buck than watch someone for a few weeks to see if they are heading to the SSA office, and not just to the corner market etc. where they will return in 5 minutes. Still doesn't make sense. So maybe the letter is legit. This is like a mystery novel. Please contact the SSA so we can get to the exciting conclusion!
Semper Augustus

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 pm
Well, there is that, but what is the alternative?

If the SS employee comes to your office or other meeting place, how can you be sure they really are who they claim to be? I'd rather go to the real SS office.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 pm

diy60 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm
As others above have stated, this from the Office of the Inspector General, Social Security Administration website . . .

If a person has questions about any communication—email, letter, text or phone call—that claims to be from SSA or the OIG, please contact your local Social Security office, or call Social Security’s toll-free customer service number at 1-800-772-1213, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, to verify its legitimacy. (Those who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can call Social Security’s TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.)
Good grief! Just pick up a phone and find out if it's legitimate.

If it is, fine. Take care of it.

If not, you can figure out where to go from there.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 pm

They instruct me to bring this letter, and they identify the person I should ask for. I searched this name (which is very distinctive), and he is listed as a "former" employee of SSA (as of 2015) on the federalpay.org website.
It is possible that they are using a form letter and never bothered to update the name of the employee you need to speak to if it turns out to be correct that they are no longer working there.

Since they are asking you to go to the SSA office rather than call a number or visit a website, it would seem to be legitimate and not very likely to be part of a scam.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm
The former federal SS worker may have been rehired or may be working as a contractor. I can't see how showing up at the real SS office with the letter in hand can be dangerous unless there are several SS employees all in on some kind of scam.

This is not impossible, but it seems less likely than they actually do need to talk to you about a fraudulent claim made against your SSN.
I can imagine the following scenario: A former disgruntled SSA employee decides to send out a bunch of such letters in order to troll the local SSA office with walk-ins.

Or maybe the OP has a Hispanic or Middle Eastern name and someone in the office is just hassling people by sending out these letters. The person sending the letters does not have to be the person mentioned in the letter to ask for in the office.

Or maybe the person mentioned in the letter does work at the local SSA office, but someone else in the office hates them and sent out letters to get this person in trouble.

I could go on and on, but no one has ever accused me of having no imagination.

A phone call is in order for people who want to take action. I don't see why everyone doesn't agree with this. Or simply ignore the letter. Usually it takes 3 letters before I would do anything about it.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm
I could go on and on, but no one has ever accused me of having no imagination.
This is true. :twisted:

But the real likelihood is they simply need to see a face and a picture ID of the real person.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm
The former federal SS worker may have been rehired or may be working as a contractor.

Or the data base is wrong or not up to date. I imagine, also, that some long term career permanent employees morph to part-time status in paperwork intensive agencies like the IRS or SSA, under new phase-out retirement rules. Or the former employee may have retired and is a re-employed annuitant employee and shows up in data bases as retired.

Sometimes you can be paranoid and correct. Does not seem to be the case here. Now, if the SSA letterhead appeared forged on the letter and someone was making a house call to discuss the fraud -- I'd be contacting the IG office immediately.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm
But the real likelihood is they simply need to see a face and a picture ID of the real person.
which would be confirmed by a phone call. But maybe we need to move to the attic and deal with bats.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I can think of reasons for the letter.....

A) The former employee investigated a wide variety of suspect claims. He printed a box full of form letters and retired. The SS being frugal would rather just send these letters then throw them out.

B) Someone filed a death claim using your information. If you show up with the letter, they know you're not dead.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

matt fe2o3

Post by matt fe2o3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm
I can think of reasons for the letter.....

A) The former employee investigated a wide variety of suspect claims. He printed a box full of form letters and retired. The SS being frugal would rather just send these letters then throw them out.

B) Someone filed a death claim using your information. If you show up with the letter, they know you're not dead.
This - generally databases are slow to be updated. The form letter paragraph is probably a boiler plate.

I suspect you can walk in at any time of your choosing and sort it out quickly, which is probably a good idea. Keep a copy - if it's a fake send one to local PD.

Many mainline insurance companies throw a dollar something identity theft into the policy - so if it is real - you may have a second avenue.

diy60

Post by diy60 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 pm
diy60 wrote:

Yep, that's what my post says to do.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Why would you trust information on federalpay.org, which is not affiliated with the government at all? Call Social Security and ask if it's legit.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm

diy60 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
diy60 wrote:

Yep, that's what my post says to do.
i know. I apologize if by quoting you it seemed that I was disagreeing.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

livesoft wrote:
Or maybe the OP has a Hispanic or Middle Eastern name and someone in the office is just hassling people by sending out these letters. The person sending the letters does not have to be the person mentioned in the letter to ask for in the office.
I'll bite. What does the original poster's (OP) ethnicity or name have to do with anything? :confused

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 pm
How about the precious time (the OPs, yours, mine, ....) spent debating this here?

All the conspiracy theories just make little sense to me. Clearly BHs - including me, it seems - have too much time at their hand. I have plenty of stuff I need to read, so if I had received that letter, I’d find a convenient to head to the office. And assuming there is a little wait, I would just take my Kindle/iPad and read while waiting at the SSA office.

Buford T Justice

Post by Buford T Justice » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm

federalpay.org website uses old data (2016 is the latest year) and says for example "Joe Smith" WAS a occupation..." IN 2016

I don't see anywhere on the site that it shows whether an employee is presently or formerly employed.

Perhaps Social Security did not provide correct data

Perhaps the employee was promoted to Social Security's Criminal Division / law enforcement and his salary is no longer reported.

My point is: Federalpay.org has more (data) holes in it than swiss cheese

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm
livesoft wrote:
I'll bite. What does the original poster's (OP) ethnicity or name have to do with anything? :confused
Imagine someone biased against persons of certain ethnic backgrounds. And imagine they want to hassle persons with those backgrounds. Or more extremely, they assume anyone with such a surname is likely in the country illegally, or some sort of criminal, and they want to get them in trouble. So they try to send them to a random Federal agency, thinking maybe they will get caught, and deported, or something like that.

Has anyone mentioned anthrax yet? These sorts of scenarios are always more interesting once anthrax is invoked.
Semper Augustus

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm
Oh come on. Motel 6? Today at 7-Eleven?

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Wow, I really got people's imaginations going!

I'll call them in the next day or two. If the call doesn't do it, I'll go to the SSA office towards the end of month, when I'm back from a trip beginning this weekend.

Then I'll report back.

The letter looks 100% authentic.

theta

Post by theta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 am

I am currently in the process of dealing with a fraudulent SS claim. Thought my experiences might be helpful to you.

1. You can check on the MySSA website and possibly get some indication as to what's going on. For example, my MySSA listing indicates that a claim was filed on 12/6, and that my bank is Green Dot Bank (a well-known debit card processor). None of that was initiated by me.

2. The longer you wait, the longer the window is open for mischief by the fraudster. For example, the first time I called my local SS office, they failed to flag my account as having a fraudulent claim associated with it. It took a face-to-face visit to actually make this happen. Like you, I was planning on waiting for a more convenient time to visit my local SS office, as it is an hour's drive. After taking a weekend to consider, I ended up going in on Monday morning. The sooner the better.

3. The fraudulent claim got processed, and the fraudster successfully (apparently) received $9600. This will be backed out of my individual record, so my benefits will be unaffected, but I will need to stay on top of this on an ongoing basis.

4. Because the claim got processed, I received a 1099 from SS, showing that they had paid me $9600 in income. That is a whole 'nother can of worms, Jethro! Now, I have had to go back to SS, and request a corrected 2017 1099 form. Expected in about 6 weeks. Cannot file until I receive it, though I suppose I could chance it and hope that SS will get me a corrected form in the meantime. (I don't think I'll take this chance.)

5. Don't know about your SS office, but for my local office, there is no way to go in and ask for a particular person. Instead, there is a kiosk, you enter your SS # and indicate one of about 6 reasons for the visit. Take a seat, wait in the queue, and they'll pick an agent for you to talk to. Typical wait times are 45 minutes to an hour. You can call and make an appointment, but you will typically wait several weeks for the appointment.

6. Nothing will happen quickly. Expect this whole process to take several months. Just to set your expectations.

7. Assume your identity has been stolen. Freeze your credit. File IRS form 14039. You may or may not qualify for a PIN, but if they deem that you qualify, it may provide some protection against a fraudulently-filed tax return.

8. My advice - take this seriously. If it turns out to be nothing, you are lucky. If it turns out to be something, the sooner you take action, the better you can control the consequences.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am

@theta, thanks for taking the time to express the details of your experience.

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am

theta wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 am
I am currently in the process of dealing with a fraudulent SS claim. Thought my experiences might be helpful to you.

1. You can check on the MySSA website and possibly get some indication as to what's going on. For example, my MySSA listing indicates that a claim was filed on 12/6, and that my bank is Green Dot Bank (a well-known debit card processor). None of that was initiated by me.

2. The longer you wait, the longer the window is open for mischief by the fraudster. For example, the first time I called my local SS office, they failed to flag my account as having a fraudulent claim associated with it. It took a face-to-face visit to actually make this happen. Like you, I was planning on waiting for a more convenient time to visit my local SS office, as it is an hour's drive. After taking a weekend to consider, I ended up going in on Monday morning. The sooner the better.

3. The fraudulent claim got processed, and the fraudster successfully (apparently) received $9600. This will be backed out of my individual record, so my benefits will be unaffected, but I will need to stay on top of this on an ongoing basis.

4. Because the claim got processed, I received a 1099 from SS, showing that they had paid me $9600 in income. That is a whole 'nother can of worms, Jethro! Now, I have had to go back to SS, and request a corrected 2017 1099 form. Expected in about 6 weeks. Cannot file until I receive it, though I suppose I could chance it and hope that SS will get me a corrected form in the meantime. (I don't think I'll take this chance.)

5. Don't know about your SS office, but for my local office, there is no way to go in and ask for a particular person. Instead, there is a kiosk, you enter your SS # and indicate one of about 6 reasons for the visit. Take a seat, wait in the queue, and they'll pick an agent for you to talk to. Typical wait times are 45 minutes to an hour. You can call and make an appointment, but you will typically wait several weeks for the appointment.

6. Nothing will happen quickly. Expect this whole process to take several months. Just to set your expectations.

7. Assume your identity has been stolen. Freeze your credit. File IRS form 14039. You may or may not qualify for a PIN, but if they deem that you qualify, it may provide some protection against a fraudulently-filed tax return.

8. My advice - take this seriously. If it turns out to be nothing, you are lucky. If it turns out to be something, the sooner you take action, the better you can control the consequences.
The only sensible contribution thus far.
May you live as long as you want....and never want, as long as you live.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 am

Oversoul wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am
I suggest you re-read all of the responses. There were other sensible contributions along with some embarrassing hypotheses.

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 am
Oversoul wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am
I suggest you re-read all of the responses. There were other sensible contributions along with some embarrassing hypotheses.
His response was the most encompassing & most succinct with a thoughtful & thorough action plan.....hence, my judgement & my opinion.
I expect other judgements & opinions may vary & appreciate the viewpoints of all respondents.
May you live as long as you want....and never want, as long as you live.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

If I got the letter, I'd probably head down to SS today and see what it's about. I'd want to get the process started.

theta

Post by theta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am

One other small point: When you go down to the SS office, always take your social security card, your driver's license, and your birth certificate.
They will ask for these things more often than not. (and I'm glad they do.)

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 am

We are getting SS, and visited their office in the past. Believe me, all you have to do to go to the SS office and present your ID and that letter, and they will explain. No big deal.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm
Now, if the SSA letterhead appeared forged on the letter ...
Letterhead is no longer a security measure.

Letterhead has been easy to forge well enough to fool all but an expert since at least the 1980s. Much legitimate letter head is now produced on a laser printer and is easy to "forge" and will fool an expert since it is exactly the same as the real thing.

For what it's worth the printed letters the SSA have sent me were on cheap fan fold paper and could have been printed using 1960s line printer. I assume they were real because they recapped prior conversations and did not require me to do anything.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am

Update: I spoke with the SSA - someone tried to make a claim for 6 months back-benefits using my SS number. They caught it. I have an appointment to go in to sign a document that will be used to create the legal file on this matter.

The SSA employee (the person identified in the letter, who was quite nice), told me that this happens quite often. He explained some of this fraud scheme to me, but some of the terms he used were unfamiliar to me, included the financial device that is used to receive the money.

Of course, he had no idea how the perp got my SS number in the first place.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:

If it is, fine. Take care of it.

If not, you can figure out where to go from there.
But such advice would obviate the need for half the threads on BH.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am
Update: I spoke with the SSA - someone tried to make a claim for 6 months back-benefits using my SS number. They caught it. I have an appointment to go in to sign a document that will be used to create the legal file on this matter.

The SSA employee (the person identified in the letter, who was quite nice), told me that this happens quite often. He explained some of this fraud scheme to me, but some of the terms he used were unfamiliar to me, included the financial device that is used to receive the money.

Of course, he had no idea how the perp got my SS number in the first place.
Wonderful! Thanks for the update. It sounds that this should be fairly painless on your part (as opposed to a multi-month nightmare).

RetiredMule

Post by RetiredMule » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

@SmallLawSurvivor: thanks very much for opening this topic, learned a bit from the discussions.

@theta: glad you shared your active case that brought to light the seriousness of such a letter. Thanks for the details too!

@livesoft: I enjoy your to-the-point/concise responses; addition of some humor/sarcasm at times makes it even great!

Kudos to many BHs who also make lively/humor filled "debates" that in general help keep the debates lively and get an occasional chuckle. :thumbsup

With many of us being victims of the numerous data hacks (Equifax, OPM, ...) that have made a lot of our sensitive data - SS#s and more -publicly available to those with criminal minds, such posts and sharing of experiences go a long way towards helping one to being on the alert (and take possible corrective actions, whatever possible, to safeguard one's financial future ).

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Final update on this:

Went to SSA today and met with SSA employee. Someone made a claim for social security on my ss number. SSA caught it (very quickly - within a few days). The grifter had my ss number (who knows how?), but had my phone number, email, home address, work status and marital status wrong. They wanted SSA to make a payment to a GreenDot card (another give-away).

And so it goes ....

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm

UPDATE: Apologies for not seeing later post & status that you did visit SSA and began resolving problem. Great news! Still recommend registering online for reasons stated below.

If you haven't already, register for online access to www.ssa.gov
This gives you online access to your SSA account, whether or not you started benefits. It gives you access to your (future) benefit letter, which you can generate any time. It will also help you determine whether someone else has registered for online access to your information (=ID theft). For example, if you have never registered before and now you try to, a new registration attempt will presumably give an indication that you already have a userid.

This is something you can do NOW. Everyone who pays into social security can do this now.

If you are already registered on ssa.gov, try logging in to check if all information looks correct regarding your status. I don't know if it would show an application in progress or not, but look & see.

Do still call SSA about the letter to verify the content & action required.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

WillRetire wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm
This gives you online access to your SSA account, whether or not you started benefits. It gives you access to your (future) benefit letter, which you can generate any time. It will also help you determine whether someone else has registered for online access to your information (=ID theft).
Is this different than the "myssa.gov" site?

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

WillRetire wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm
UPDATE: Apologies for not seeing later post & status that you did visit SSA and began resolving problem. Great news! Still recommend registering online for reasons stated below.

This gives you online access to your SSA account, whether or not you started benefits. It gives you access to your (future) benefit letter, which you can generate any time. It will also help you determine whether someone else has registered for online access to your information (=ID theft). For example, if you have never registered before and now you try to, a new registration attempt will presumably give an indication that you already have a userid.

This is something you can do NOW. Everyone who pays into social security can do this now.

If you are already registered on ssa.gov, try logging in to check if all information looks correct regarding your status. I don't know if it would show an application in progress or not, but look & see.

Do still call SSA about the letter to verify the content & action required.
I attempted to register but was told that the site cannot process my info. I had a hunch that this was due to having my credit frozen, and sure enough, that's what a few others suggested.

Apparently one could go into one's local SSA office to register. I'm debating whether I should bite the bullet to unlock the three credit reports or whether I should just go in (which probably will cost $15 for parking and gas)...

crit

Post by crit » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I think you only need to unlock Equifax. We're about to do this for one of us, so I'll report back if that is incorrect. But I'd much rather pay $10 than go to the SSA office (which just tells you that the opportunity cost of the unlock fee is correctly priced).

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm

crit wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm
I think you only need to unlock Equifax. We're about to do this for one of us, so I'll report back if that is incorrect. But I'd much rather pay $10 than go to the SSA office (which just tells you that the opportunity cost of the unlock fee is correctly priced).
out of curiosity, your user name doesn't happen to be bike related, does it?