Should I take this promotion?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
davebo

Should I take this promotion?

Post by davebo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

I've been employed at my company for 5+ years. Based on my experience when I came in, my bosses had told someone that I was someone that would likely be promoted into management. About 3 years ago, I was offered a promotion but turned it down. For one, it was in an area without a lot of growth potential and it also seemed like (at least for the next couple years) it was going to be long hours.

Recently, I've been working on a project and splitting my time between my current role and this project. This project is soon going to turn into something that cannot be managed part-time, so they are going to form a new team and they want me to manage the team.

Pros
-17% bump in salary.
-Same short commute.
-Hours would likely be the same.
-Team would be new, so I could set the tone without much disruption.

Cons
-This division is new, so who knows what would happen.
-Leaving a job that I really like for some unknowns.
-Not really even sure if I want to go into management.
-For my lifestyle, have been happy with a $90K salary so unsure if an extra $15K matters.

My fear is by not taking this, it would mean I might be left out for future promotions. It's not my nature to seek the next big job promotion, but it's clear that my bosses think I'm capable of a lot more than what I'm doing and are giving me those opportunities. If I want to tell them that I'm interested in management, then I really need to take this offer because it's kind of a perfect stepping stone.

For right now, I don't really feel like the money would change my life at all. I work, my wife works, and we have a part-time business that brings in good money. However, as long as I'm going to be at work for 8 hours, then it might not be a bad idea to go for it and see what happens.

The only thing holding me back is the fear of the unknown, leaving a job I really like for something a little more uncertain.

Count of Notre Dame

Re: Should I take this promotion?

Post by Count of Notre Dame » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 pm

This feels like exactly where I'm at in my career.

Not Law

Post by Not Law » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Ask the employer in advance to consider returning you to your happy place if the promotion does not work out. Give you an escape route. More than likely you will do just fine at the new level of responsibility.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Not Law wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Ask the employer in advance to consider returning you to your happy place if the promotion does not work out. Give you an escape route. More than likely you will do just fine at the new level of responsibility.
I wouldn’t recommend this. It looks weak. You need to commit one way or the other and it sounds like they really want you to become a manager.

I would take the position and see where it leads to. Imagine how much more quickly you could retire by putting away $15k more per year.

davebo

Post by davebo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

kerplunk wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm
Not Law wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm
I wouldn’t recommend this. It looks weak. You need to commit one way or the other and it sounds like they really want you to become a manager.

I would take the position and see where it leads to. Imagine how much more quickly you could retire by putting away $15k more per year.
I'm not as concerned about moving back to my old position necessarily, but want someplace to go if this new venture (meaning project as a whole) doesn't work out. They said (no guaranty) that they would find someplace for me if need be. In essence, they said that they work hard to find good employees and wouldn't just let someone go because a project fizzled.

I'm not actually sure if I like my current position or if I like the fact that there is very little stress and I know how to do the job well. In time, I could feel like this new position could be the same but there will definitely be some headaches early on. Still though, I've already really been involved so I'm not totally jumping in without any knowledge about the job. In the end, I might be less stressed because I have more time to devote to this instead of spreading myself between 2 jobs.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Do it. That is a great raise and it gives you an opportunity to try out management in a setting you are comfotable. Could very well lead to much greater opportunities or worse case go back to a role similar to where you are now.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Go for it.

Also, check out both your company for what this new level job is paid, and other similar companies pay for similar level jobs. You may find that the pay you are being offered is sub-par.

Ralph

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 pm

I would go for it. In life you will always have unknowns. Early in your career is the best time to take risks, particularly like this one, as you have time to recover.

If you turn it down, since you have already turned one down before, it is likely you will not get another chance.

Worse case, if you cannot get back to your current job, look at the skills you will gain by taking this assignment - skills you might be able to leverage elsewhere.

As for going into management, that is a consideration. I went into management for 6 years, with the right team it is great, with the wrong team it can be hell. I decided to step down after that, but interestingly since I had "management" skills that made me, as a non-manager, attractive to other organizations in my megacorp.

YMMV, but I would take the risk.

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't want to minimize the difference between doing "substantive" work and being a manager-- some people are much happier doing one than the other and if you know you never want to manage and this job would be primarily management you shouldn't go for it just because you think you "should".

On the other hand, it's very possible that in the next few years you will become a bit bored what you are doing. I know I like being at different places on the learning curve for different parts of my job-- if I always knew exactly what I was doing without any challenges I'd be less happy. It's also certainly possible to add value as a manager and get reward from that.

Anyway, I would encourage you to go for it as the unknowns here seems manageable, and possible ultimately beneficial, but of course YMMV.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I would go for it. To move up in your career you have to take risks once in a while or else you will stagnate. Remember nothing is guaranteed, yeah it may not work out, but also you existing position may get downsized someday also.

If the organization is well run and you are a known high performer they will take care of you. If they don’t maybe it’s not where you want to be anyway.

Another thought... You turned down a promotion once before. Do that a second time and there may never be a third chance.....

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Just do it. You always have other options and the down side (not being considered for future promotion) is really bad.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll ask you the same thing I ask my direct reports (I'm the president of the company): What do you want to be when you grow up? Simple question, very hard to answer. Often times they have an answer but as we talk, it goes a different direction.

Once you answer that question, life gets really simple. Just plot a course from here to there.

Seems you may have done that saying you want to go into management. I believe you. But then you get offered that and turn it down. I'm ok with that. Now another offer is on the table and you see the risk and are walking through the process of deciding whether to take it or not. That's a good thing.

But at some point you are going to need to hit the I Believe button and take a risk. That's one of the keys to becoming great.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

If you decline, I wouldn't say you'd never have another chance for a promotion but it likely wouldn't be with your present company. Do you have people there you can talk to privately when you have questions on how to handle something? I think that would be a big plus because as a first-time manager you'll face issues unlike those you've dealt with before. I've worked at places where they were very good with supporting new managers and at places where it's like sink-or-swim on your own.

When you say the team will be new, do you mean they will all be newly-hired people? That can be very challenging yet also very rewarding. I think that would make being a first-time manager a little tougher than usual.

Managing isn't for everyone and sometimes a great manager at one place fails somewhere else because their managerial style doesn't fit. Do you think the way you would manage would mesh with the culture at your company?

davebo

Post by davebo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm

corn18 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm
I'll ask you the same thing I ask my direct reports (I'm the president of the company): What do you want to be when you grow up? Simple question, very hard to answer. Often times they have an answer but as we talk, it goes a different direction.

Once you answer that question, life gets really simple. Just plot a course from here to there.

Seems you may have done that saying you want to go into management. I believe you. But then you get offered that and turn it down. I'm ok with that. Now another offer is on the table and you see the risk and are walking through the process of deciding whether to take it or not. That's a good thing.

But at some point you are going to need to hit the I Believe button and take a risk. That's one of the keys to becoming great.

I/m still a little unsure what I want to be :) When I told my wife about it, she said that it shouldn't be that big of a leap because I have already essentially been involved in this project for 2 years. I also worry a little bit about changing the quality of life because, in the grand scheme of things, the money that I would make is not going to change my lifestyle much. On the other hand, my company is not really one where people work long hours in general so there probably isn't too much of a risk there.

I own my own company as a side business, so I know that I am capable.

davebo

Post by davebo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 pm

prudent wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm
If you decline, I wouldn't say you'd never have another chance for a promotion but it likely wouldn't be with your present company. Do you have people there you can talk to privately when you have questions on how to handle something? I think that would be a big plus because as a first-time manager you'll face issues unlike those you've dealt with before. I've worked at places where they were very good with supporting new managers and at places where it's like sink-or-swim on your own.

When you say the team will be new, do you mean they will all be newly-hired people? That can be very challenging yet also very rewarding. I think that would make being a first-time manager a little tougher than usual.

Managing isn't for everyone and sometimes a great manager at one place fails somewhere else because their managerial style doesn't fit. Do you think the way you would manage would mesh with the culture at your company?
Yes, I can talk with people. There are some people that are more complacent in their jobs that will say that it's not worth it to move, but they've been in the same job for 10+ years. Other people will tell me it's a great opportunity to get into management with still a lot of support. I would still report up through the same people, so there's not change in management....my bosses are all great and very supportive.

The way I would manage would very much fit with the culture of the company. The upside is that it'd be a small team that would eventually grow, so I could get some practice with just a couple direct reports.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:22 pm

davebo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm
-For my lifestyle, have been happy with a $90K salary so unsure if an extra $15K matters.
Good. Don’t let it affect your lifestyle. Put it into your long term investment account; it will enable you to be financially independent (and thus, if you want, retired) much sooner than if you didn’t have it.

Beachdrinks

Post by Beachdrinks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Sounds like you're in a great situation thanks to your hard work ethic and you're respected at work. Couldn't you most likely return to your old job or something similar if you hated the promotion? Usually when you're out of the comfort zone is when you grow the most!

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 pm

davebo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm
corn18 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

I/m still a little unsure what I want to be :)
Strike the answer as non-responsive.

Without a goal, you will second guess every opportunity and never really move forward.

Talk to your wife, answer the question together and lay out a plan. It really is that simple. Everything becomes simple when you have an end state identified.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Always say yes to opportunities.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm

I'd take the gig if it was offered but be aware that a manager role is very different job. In addition a brand new manager has an enormous amount to learn about managing and reporting for a department, running a profit center/business, in addition to the required HR/people management skills which can be serious challenge. You will have to rely heavily on your own manager for help and guidance for quite a while as you learn. If your up-line is a strong, competent, and experienced manager that supports you in this new role that will be a huge help but if your direct manager is weak, inexperienced, or not inclined to back you up when things get tough or when you make the inevitable noob manager mistakes, it will be very difficult for you to succeed as a new manager.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:10 pm

I would do it. If you don’t enjoy it, tell them and ask for your old job back. Be willing to assist with the transition.

If they like you that much, they should be willing to figure out a way to get your old job back if things don’t work out.

Sure there’s risk involved. But there’s risk in declining, as well.

JT

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm
I'd take the gig if it was offered but be aware that a manager role is very different job. In addition a brand new manager has an enormous amount to learn about managing and reporting for a department, running a profit center/business, in addition to the required HR/people management skills which can be serious challenge. You will have to rely heavily on your own manager for help and guidance for quite a while as you learn. If your up-line is a strong, competent, and experienced manager that supports you in this new role that will be a huge help but if your direct manager is weak, inexperienced, or not inclined to back you up when things get tough or when you make the inevitable noob manager mistakes, it will be very difficult for you to succeed as a new manager.
Everyone I'd be reporting up thru is great, so I don't have concerns there. This isn't quite as large a responsibility as running a department, it'd be managing 2 people and potentially more in the future.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am

davebo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm
Everyone I'd be reporting up thru is great, so I don't have concerns there. This isn't quite as large a responsibility as running a department, it'd be managing 2 people and potentially more in the future.
Sounds like a good way to start. I'd take the gig.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Are you in a technical field? If so, just make sure you really want to manage people rather than work on technical work. I've promoted engineers/developers to management positions before and it's a relatively frequent occurrence to find out a few months/years later that they either weren't cut out for it and/or absolutely hated it and much preferred writing code over managing people. Just something to keep in mind.

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm

queso wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm
Are you in a technical field? If so, just make sure you really want to manage people rather than work on technical work. I've promoted engineers/developers to management positions before and it's a relatively frequent occurrence to find out a few months/years later that they either weren't cut out for it and/or absolutely hated it and much preferred writing code over managing people. Just something to keep in mind.
No, not technical...financial. I suppose a little apprehension is having to deal with more meetings instead of "doing". Also, I think I still think I'm a little worried about taking direct responsibility and being the person that is ultimately responsible. Although, I feel that I'm ultimately responsible right now and I'm not in a management role...so maybe it's my own sense of personal responsibility.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

davebo wrote:
The only thing holding me back is the fear of the unknown, leaving a job I really like for something a little more uncertain.
What are your long-term career goals? Do you think you'll be happy staying with your current job for the next 10-15+ years? Or would you like to advance to the highest position that is practical for you?

I would be very careful about denying promotion offers. Unless there is a precise reason why this new job won't work for you (i.e. new job involves long hours and/or travel that disrupts your family life, or the new job is a total mismatch for your personality traits), declining the offer may put you and your bosses in a awkward position for future performance reviews. The bosses of your bosses may start to ask questions as to why top-performers such as yourself aren't being promoted into higher positions within the company. Another potential issue is the possibility of one day being managed by someone who used to be your co-worker.

While I think it's normal to be fearful of the unknown, I don't think that's reason enough to turn down a promotion, especially when your bosses are confident you can handle the new responsibilities. Keep in mind your bosses offered the position to you as opposed to giving it to someone else or having you compete against others first for the position.

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm
davebo wrote:
What are your long-term career goals? Do you think you'll be happy staying with your current job for the next 10-15+ years? Or would you like to advance to the highest position that is practical for you?

I would be very careful about denying promotion offers. Unless there is a precise reason why this new job won't work for you (i.e. new job involves long hours and/or travel that disrupts your family life, or the new job is a total mismatch for your personality traits), declining the offer may put you and your bosses in a awkward position for future performance reviews. The bosses of your bosses may start to ask questions as to why top-performers such as yourself aren't being promoted into higher positions within the company. Another potential issue is the possibility of one day being managed by someone who used to be your co-worker.

While I think it's normal to be fearful of the unknown, I don't think that's reason enough to turn down a promotion, especially when your bosses are confident you can handle the new responsibilities. Keep in mind your bosses offered the position to you as opposed to giving it to someone else or having you compete against others first for the position.
Yes, I agree with what you're saying. I don't have a good reason for saying no and, even though I'm happy with my pay/raises now, I'm sure they won't be as good in the future if I'm not identified as an up and comer.