CapOne Quicksilver vs. USAA card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
radiowave

CapOne Quicksilver vs. USAA card

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I have the Quicksilver card for a couple years and like this for my travel - 1.5% and no foreign transaction fees. However Capital One no longer supports Ebilling and I really don't like any card/bank to withdraw funds directly. The USAA card is 1.5% no FTF and does support eBilling. So looking for comments and recommendations on changing from Quicksilver to the USAA card.

Thanks as always
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

azanon

Re: CapOne Quicksilver vs. USAA card

Post by azanon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

The USAA credit card I have is 2.5% cash back for any purchases, and no limits, not 1.5%. I'd get that one. Link to card: https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_li ... irect=true

navyitaly

Post by navyitaly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 pm

I have one (Limitless), but it’s severely restricted..only LA residents at this point.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm

azanon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm
The USAA credit card I have is 2.5% cash back for any purchases, and no limits, not 1.5%. I'd get that one. Link to card: https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_li ... irect=true
The 2.5% card is not available in our area. This is the card I am looking at: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_cc ... ignature

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm

I have both cards, and I carry both with me. I had a few problems with USAA purchases overseas. It seemed like the USAA servers were turned off when I wanted to shop, or something like that. Never had a problem with Cal One, so I usually use it, but I have the USAA card as a backup. Sounds like you can do the same. Get a USAA card and use it as your primary, but carry the Cap One as a backup.
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Why can't you just send Cap One a check rather than having them pull?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Check, what's a check . . . oh yeah those little green slips of paper you'd send every month in an envelope and put something you licked called a stamp on it then took it to a building called a post office . . . :)

Sorry couldn't resist, just a little joke for this Friday.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Well I appreciate the humor. It was a serious suggestion though, you can go on the bank website and have them send a check. Yes there is a stamp (or probably prepaid postage) and envelope but you don't have to deal with them.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I've had the Quicksilver for a few years...I get a paper bill in the mail and then I pay them manually online through my Bill Pay tab in my online checking account.

Clever screen name1

Post by Clever screen name1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Have Quicksilver and pay it using the bill pay feature in my USAA checking account. I never see the actual check.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 am

The USAA 2.5% appears to be completely dead now.

I have a Cap One card and also pay via my checking account bill pay, no trouble. It's a decent card with no FTF.

If you make over $100k you can get the Alliant 2.5% card, it also has no FTF:
http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/ ... ature-card

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am

radiowave wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm
Check, what's a check . . . oh yeah those little green slips of paper you'd send every month in an envelope and put something you licked called a stamp on it then took it to a building called a post office . . . :)

That have your bank account number, your routing number, your name and in most cases your address... You then hand it to a total stranger who probably hands it to 100 other strangers before it makes it.

Then you go back to fretting about computer security :)
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am
radiowave wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

That have your bank account number, your routing number, your name and in most cases your address... You then hand it to a total stranger who probably hands it to 100 other strangers before it makes it.

Then you go back to fretting about computer security :)
I thought it was just me being paranoid about paper checks :wink:

I appreciate the comments above about writing checks but at least with online, I get texts every time I have an event in my accounts so can stay on top of things if something happens. A check is fire and forget . . . who really knows what happens when all those strangers look at your private info.

Back to the original question, can anyone give me some feedback on the USAA card? thanks

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:24 am

Ok, back to cards. I have the USAA 2.5% so I assume the 1.5% would be good too.. Of course, I love the 2.5%.. no blackout items, good on all purchases, no maximum. I collected more than $1K last year and only had it for 1/2 the year. I also have been a USAA customer since 1982 and just about all banking is with USAA so this was a no brainer for me.

The 2.5% goes down to 1.5% if you do not have direct deposit of at least $1K per month. So, perhaps the 1.5% card is essentially the same thing. I can tell you I love it.

I am surprised to hear about the overseas issue of one poster as USAA "makes its money" servicing service members living all around the world. They have always been at the forefront of technology and doing business overseas was a no brainer for them when I lived in Germany back in 1987 with the Army... I would attribute that problem to just a quirk...
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

pilot_error

Post by pilot_error » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I can vouch for USAA's 1.5% being a fully capable overseas card. I will say they have a very good "security fence" and will deny any purchases from countries you have not expressly identified via their very easy travel notification feature on their app. So if you never told USAA you are going to be in France, their servers will deny your purchases.

Never had to pay any foreign transaction fees or any ATM fees. I did have to pay cash advance fees when I couldn't find an ATM in Croatia that would accept a debit card, and had to use my credit card.

The USAA 1.5% is the only CC I have. I love it, super disappointed I never was allowed the 2.5% card. I will say, I'm confused about the definitions of eBilling vs. auto withdrawal questions... so I'll just say I have varying rate bills automatically paid with this card, and then my monthly cc bill is also automatically paid with my checking account. It works. I really like when the card/bank can withdraw fund directly.