Medicare - Duration of Paying in System for Full Eligibility

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
OldSport

Medicare - Duration of Paying in System for Full Eligibility

Post by OldSport » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 am

How long does a person need to have paid into Medicare system to be eligible for the typical full Medicare coverage? If your spouse stayed at home for some of the time, how long do they need to have paid into the system for full eligibility?

I'm asking this question is if a person becomes F.I.R.E., how early hurts future Medicare eligibility? What about S.S. eligibility?

clydewolf

Re: Medicare - Duration of Paying in System for Full Eligibility

Post by clydewolf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Generally when you qualify for SS benefits, at age 65 you will qualify for Medicare part A.
Here is more: https://www.hhs.gov/answers/medicare-an ... index.html

For SS benefits, you need 10 years of employment. Working longer and higher earnings will increase your benefit.
Here is more: https://www.fool.com/retirement/general ... benef.aspx

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:14 pm

If you qualify for Medicare, your Spouse also qualifies. Not sure how long the marriage must last. I know you can also qualify if a divorced spouse qualifed but again not sure about the length of the marriage. etc The frequently comes up for teachers who work in states where they do not contribute to SS. And payroll deductions to Medicare (but not SS) on an annual basis for a number of years will also qualify a person. That has been required since 1994 for most but not all W2 employees

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry if I sounded snotty in the other thread. :? Anyway I suspect that most early retirement oriented folks are in little danger of being left out in the cold on Medicare unless they either did the bulk of her/his accumulation outside of the US or the accumulated was inheritance based :) The one person I know in real life in this situation spent years in unpaid caregiving for relatives and is radically not financially knowledgeable .