Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
rashad3000
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by rashad3000 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:43 pm

We traded in one car for another yesterday. We had a surplus of $11,250. So the dealership told us they would cut us a check today. When I got home last night, I noticed that the car we purchased was listed for $200 less than the price we paid. I texted my salesperson and told him that I was disappointed that I paid $200 more and they dropped the price $200 online that day. He told me they would make it right. He texted me this morning and told me they cut me a separate $200 check.

$200 isn't the end of the world, but it is better than $0 and only took about 5 minutes of my time.

Sidney
Posts: 6691
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Sidney » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 pm

What do you mean by "listed?" You aren't paying list price for a car are you?
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47401
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Sidney has a point. To keep this actionable, can you give a few more details about the trade / purchase? The concern is that you may not have negotiated the best price.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Gronnie
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Gronnie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:33 pm

A lot of stealerships have a "no haggle best price" policy.

JBTX
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by JBTX » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm

If you paid more than the car was listed / advertised at you likely paid too much.

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by tibbitts » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Gronnie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:33 pm
A lot of stealerships have a "no haggle best price" policy.
Yes I was going to suggest that. It's also not clear if it's a new or used car, or if the listing was actually for the same stock number. In any case this seems like an unusual situation. Rarely in retail would price drops be retroactive to prior sales - it seems like there has to be more to the story.

BogleBoogie
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am
Location: AK

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by BogleBoogie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm really concerned by what you mean when you say "listed price." I'm extra concerned that they cut you a $200 check that quick after the sale. I hope by listed you aren't referring to a price they had it advertised for and you paid that price in full (sans negotiation).

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by tibbitts » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:42 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm
I'm really concerned by what you mean when you say "listed price." I'm extra concerned that they cut you a $200 check that quick after the sale. I hope by listed you aren't referring to a price they had it advertised for and you paid that price in full (sans negotiation).
That would make sense at a TRUE no-haggle dealer.

Tachyon
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Tachyon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:12 am

Proves happiness is relative. You got $200 more than what you thought, makes you happy. In reality, no one pays any sort of list price on cars. You "lost" $1000 for paying list price. But you don't know about it, you don't see it, and hence you stay happy. Until you post on BH and a bunch of people just pointed this out. :twisted:

pshonore
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by pshonore » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am

Carmax generally sells cars at "list" price. In other words, no negotiations. I would imagine if a car does not sell within a certain time period, they may reduce "list" price but probably more than $200.

HJG0989
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by HJG0989 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am

I buy cars through Costco. They negotiate the price in advance so I canfocus on selecting the car. I love it.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 am

I'm assuming this was a used car?

runner3081
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by runner3081 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 am

Sidney wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 pm
What do you mean by "listed?" You aren't paying list price for a car are you?
I think this is what happened.

Buyer (OP) goes to car dealer, buys the car. Goes home and looks at dealer's website and sees an internet only price (or similar) for $200 less than he paid.

With that said, it sounds like the OP walked in and just paid what they were asking for the car, ouch :)

rashad3000
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by rashad3000 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:37 am

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 am
Sidney wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 pm
What do you mean by "listed?" You aren't paying list price for a car are you?
I think this is what happened.

Buyer (OP) goes to car dealer, buys the car. Goes home and looks at dealer's website and sees an internet only price (or similar) for $200 less than he paid.

With that said, it sounds like the OP walked in and just paid what they were asking for the car, ouch :)
That's basically what happened. This is a dealership (not CarMax) that does not haggle. They are a "high volume" dealer who always have the lowest prices around. It was the lowest priced car in my local area, features and mileage factored in. Car (used car) was listed at $13,495 and that was what I paid. I noticed that it was posted at $13,295 later that night. I guess it just hadn't been taken down off of the website yet. But the slashed the prices of a few other Camry's as well. However, if I asked for $200 off at the "stealership", they would have said "this is the lowest we will go".

The purpose of this post was not whether or not I paid listed price or haggled or whatever. I was just pointing out that I was lucky enough to happen to check the website later to get an extra $200 off of the purchase of the car (which I thought was as a fair price anyway). I couldn't even find a private seller with a better price.

HJG0989
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by HJG0989 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 am

It sounds like you got a good deal, and congratulations on the extra $200!

User avatar
jadd806
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: New England

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by jadd806 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Tachyon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:12 am
Proves happiness is relative. You got $200 more than what you thought, makes you happy. In reality, no one pays any sort of list price on cars. You "lost" $1000 for paying list price. But you don't know about it, you don't see it, and hence you stay happy. Until you post on BH and a bunch of people just pointed this out. :twisted:
Can we stop ragging on the OP for paying list price in an attempt to flex our "car haggling skills" muscles? They clearly went to a no-haggle dealership.

I can't help but laugh at people who think they're "good negotiators." The entire dealership experience is set up precisely to make you feel that way.

Jags4186
Posts: 2364
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm
Tachyon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:12 am
Proves happiness is relative. You got $200 more than what you thought, makes you happy. In reality, no one pays any sort of list price on cars. You "lost" $1000 for paying list price. But you don't know about it, you don't see it, and hence you stay happy. Until you post on BH and a bunch of people just pointed this out. :twisted:
Can we stop ragging on the OP for paying list price in an attempt to flex our "car haggling skills" muscles? They clearly went to a no-haggle dealership.

I can't help but laugh at people who think they're "good negotiators." The entire dealership experience is set up precisely to make you feel that way.
100% agree. You shouldn't be buying cars enough to become adept at negotiating for them, and if you are then you're losing way more money on the constant changing of vehicles than you are on getting the absolute best rock bottom price.

If I overpay $500 for a car that I'm going to keep for 10 years, thats $50 a year. I and I'm sure everyone else here easily wastes $50 a year on things they simply didn't bother to search for the best price on. Hell, you probably waste $50/mo overpaying for groceries because you aren't willing to drive to 5 grocery stores to get the best prices on everything you normally purchase.

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Geneyus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm

We bought a Subaru from the highest-volume dealership in the U.S. this year. They don't move from the price they give you, and they offer the same bottom pricing to everyone for the model and features. I tried to whittle them down a few hundred dollars, and they wouldn't even move that much. I bought the car and had it shipped across the country to my house for less than the 3 closest Subaru dealerships could offer me.

Sometimes the list price at the high-volume, no-haggle dealerships is in fact the best price you're going to get.

Edit: Someone asked me for the dealership name. The dealership I dealt with was Heuberger.
https://www.bestbuysubaru.com
Last edited by Geneyus on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traveler
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by Traveler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I bought my current car new at the price listed in the paper and believe I got a good deal. Some of you may disagree.

denovo
Posts: 4301
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by denovo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Traveler wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 pm
I bought my current car new at the price listed in the paper and believe I got a good deal. Some of you may disagree.
Why do you think you got a good deal?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

mxs
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by mxs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm

I had a similar thing happen with walmart.com and a TV. They gave me the difference of the price originally paid and the new list price.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17713
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by dm200 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:30 pm

It has been many years, but DW and I bought one of the new Chrysler Minivans in the fall of 1984 (ordered 1985 model year Dodge Caravan). If we wanted the vehicle, we had to pay over MSRP.

rashad3000
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by rashad3000 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm
jadd806 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm
Tachyon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:12 am
Proves happiness is relative. You got $200 more than what you thought, makes you happy. In reality, no one pays any sort of list price on cars. You "lost" $1000 for paying list price. But you don't know about it, you don't see it, and hence you stay happy. Until you post on BH and a bunch of people just pointed this out. :twisted:
Can we stop ragging on the OP for paying list price in an attempt to flex our "car haggling skills" muscles? They clearly went to a no-haggle dealership.

I can't help but laugh at people who think they're "good negotiators." The entire dealership experience is set up precisely to make you feel that way.
100% agree. You shouldn't be buying cars enough to become adept at negotiating for them, and if you are then you're losing way more money on the constant changing of vehicles than you are on getting the absolute best rock bottom price.

If I overpay $500 for a car that I'm going to keep for 10 years, thats $50 a year. I and I'm sure everyone else here easily wastes $50 a year on things they simply didn't bother to search for the best price on. Hell, you probably waste $50/mo overpaying for groceries because you aren't willing to drive to 5 grocery stores to get the best prices on everything you normally purchase.
Funny story. Before I went to this dealership, I went to Carmax so that they could appraise my vehicle. I was speaking with the salesman about their "no haggle" policy. He said it was pretty simple. He said that they don't think it's fair that an old couple who comes in there would pay a dime more than some idiot who comes in there screaming at them to lower the price on the vehicle. I had never really thought of it that way.

Now, I simply research for hours on multiple sites. Years ago, they probably would have listed that vehicle at $16,995 and played the negotiating game. Now, there are far more informed customers out there and so much information freely available on the net. I was happy to pay what I paid. I think I paid a very fair price, plus I was happy that everything took 30 minutes or so.

feehater
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by feehater » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am

Geneyus wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Sometimes the list price at the high-volume, no-haggle dealerships is in fact the best price you're going to get.
I did the same thing with Toyota. I took advantage of how they divide the country up into different regions and drove three hours to a neighboring state where the dealerships paid a much lower wholesale price to Toyota for the same car. Paid $3000 less than the lowest any dealership in my state would go. For those who want to know how I know I got a good deal...I used Truecar to confirm that I was paying in the lowest 5% of recent sales prices for my exact model. High volume dealership, no haggling, online price, end of the month of June right before the new models came out. I wonder how many of the 95% of people who paid more for my car than me think they were great hagglers?

deikel
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by deikel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:58 am

Not sure if true for your area and your carmax dealer, but in my neck of the woods CarMax is roughly 500-1000 USD more expensive (on 12-20k cars) than what you can get when shopping around.

Just for the folks trying to reach rock bottom. Having said that, CarMax is a great place to sell your old car and I have purchased from them in the past simply because I wanted to get it done quick, they would get me the car from another location for free and I like their no haggle policy in general.

In the not so distant future, this hole haggle nonsense for car purchases will go out the window since the information asymmetry between car dealer and buyer will flatten a lot more than it already is. Personally, I hate car buying and the whole process, so any no haggle dealer with a reputation of fair pricing gets my business - unfortunately, I don't have one in close proximity, but I see more and more no haggle places popping up, so we are going the right direction.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

deikel
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Got myself an extra $200 today just by being observant

Post by deikel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:02 pm

feehater wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am
Geneyus wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Sometimes the list price at the high-volume, no-haggle dealerships is in fact the best price you're going to get.
I did the same thing with Toyota. I took advantage of how they divide the country up into different regions and drove three hours to a neighboring state where the dealerships paid a much lower wholesale price to Toyota for the same car. Paid $3000 less than the lowest any dealership in my state would go. For those who want to know how I know I got a good deal...I used Truecar to confirm that I was paying in the lowest 5% of recent sales prices for my exact model. High volume dealership, no haggling, online price, end of the month of June right before the new models came out. I wonder how many of the 95% of people who paid more for my car than me think they were great hagglers?
Easy to answer, about everyone who bought a car will think that. Buyers remorse will only kick in after severe disappointment, minor annoyances will always be covered up and shrugged off since no one will want to admit to have done something stupid or a mistake in general - simple psychology at work - that's why true no haggle places stick to the no haggle policy like a drowning man - once you deviate, no one believes you anymore and everyone feels screwed over. Its the 'take the old car' part where they have room to negotiate a little.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Post Reply