What is a good degree or certification to get after college that employers like?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
GrayS26

What is a good degree or certification to get after college that employers like?

Post by GrayS26 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:25 pm

I currently have a bachelors degree in a humanities major. I graduated with a high GPA several years ago. I also have taken the GRE and scored very well.

I was looking at all the available degrees, and the list I have now is JD (law), MD/DO (medicine), CPA (accounting), PhD (teaching?), Masters degree, and MBA.

Can you please tell me what other degrees or certifications are available?

Regarding my interests, I like finance and would like to work in the field if given a choice.

Sandtrap

Re: What is a good degree or certification to get after college that employers like?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 pm

GrayS26 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:25 pm
I currently have a bachelors degree in a humanities major. I graduated with a high GPA several years ago. I also have taken the GRE and scored very well.

I was looking at all the available degrees, and the list I have now is JD (law), MD/DO (medicine), CPA (accounting), PhD (teaching?), Masters degree, and MBA.

Regarding my interests, I like finance and would like to work in the field if given a choice.
CPA
Estate Planning or Trust Law or International Business - legal counsel.

exit_r

Re: What is a good degree or certification to get after college that employers like?

Post by exit_r » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Do not forget that in many professions field experience is also extremely valuable. Hiring highly educated with no experience can be a tougher sale compared to the candidate with a single degree and experience.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:00 pm

CPA isn't a degree but rather a certification granted by individual states after completing certain course and experience requirements along with a three-day exam.
Gill

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:06 pm

exit_r wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 pm
Do not forget that in many professions field experience is also extremely valuable. Hiring highly educated with no experience can be a tougher sale compared to the candidate with a single degree and experience.
+1

Something that is related to your current work would make you more marketable since finding an entry level job in a new field when you are over 30 can be a challenge.

Be careful about going into law since if you don't get in a top paying law position right out of college your career can be problematic since there is a glut of lawyers. From what I have heard working a top law firm can be high stress and demanding so it might not fit your personality.

RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Good question! A couple months after completing my PhD, I applied for a promotion to a first-level management position at the company where I had been working for several years in a staff position. Hiring manager told me that if I wanted to go into management that I should go back to school to get an MBA. At the same time, a co-worker with an MBA applied for a promotion and was told (by the same hiring manager) that he should back to school for a PhD if he wanted to move up the ladder. The hiring manager had no education beyond a BA.

If you want to continue your education, then pursue something that you really want to learn, rather than worry about what your future employer may like. If you want to work in finance, I would imagine that an MBA or a master's degree in finance would give you an opportunity to learn more about the subject.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:08 pm

I think you'd want to narrow down what YOU'd like to do. If you don't like math, you would not want to go into engineering or computer science. If you faint just being in a doctor's office (I do), you probably don't want to go to medical school.

I know engineers who have gone into management roles and have gone back for an MBA. I've seen engineers go into Patent Law and join the law group at Megacorp where they had worked as an engineer. Certainly, you've got the starting point for a teaching degree. Having a Masters in Education would likely get you a higher salary. I don't know what you'd like to do, so can't really suggest for you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:08 pm
I think you'd want to narrow down what YOU'd like to do. If you don't like math, you would not want to go into engineering or computer science. If you faint just being in a doctor's office (I do), you probably don't want to go to medical school.

I know engineers who have gone into management roles and have gone back for an MBA. I've seen engineers go into Patent Law and join the law group at Megacorp where they had worked as an engineer. Certainly, you've got the starting point for a teaching degree. Having a Masters in Education would likely get you a higher salary. I don't know what you'd like to do, so can't really suggest for you.
Similar to Jack FFR1846 comments, my vote would be for an MBA. I have a BS Engineering background, but my MBA coupled with PMP Certification (Project Management Professional) is what pushed me to the next level of earnings (+30% increase). MBA is very transferable to many fields of Management, Sales, HR, etc. I have also known several Engineering peers that went the Law route (Patent, Contracts, etc.) and they too are doing very well. A BS or BA gets you moving in a career, but the advanced degree sets you apart from the competition.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm

When it comes to finance there are many sectors u can expand. wither property manage, stocks, and many other things, depends on what field u want to go to.
One thing i d recommend is to learn at least another language, if english is ur mother tongue, try spanish or even chinese, or arabic. but that would definitely help.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:04 pm

GrayS26 wrote:

Rocket Surgeon ?

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:04 pm
GrayS26 wrote:

Rocket Surgeon ?

I believe that would be a PE not an MD needed for that

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Nearing_Destination wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:04 pm
GrayS26 wrote:

Rocket Surgeon ?

I believe that would be a PE not an MD needed for that

I would think the best rocket surgeons would have have both.