Using home warranty to re-key your house

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
capitalG

Using home warranty to re-key your house

Post by capitalG »

Recently purchased a home and was "gifted" a 1 year home warranty ("American Home Shield") by our real estate agent. Since the major appliances (kitchen, furnace) have all been recently replaced by the previous owner, the warranty does not seem very useful to me. The one benefit that popped out to me was "re-keying" - for the $75 service fee, they will re-key up to 6 locks and provide you up to 4 keys for each lock. Wondering how flexible the locksmith will be with his services - beyond re-keying for security purposes, I'm hoping to swap out a deadbolt and a few door knobs as well. Anyone have experience using one of these warranties for re-keying, and if so, can you comment on how flexible they are with the services they deliver? Also curious in general if/what everyone uses these warranties for?
Watty

Re: Using home warranty to re-key your house

Post by Watty »

Changing locks is super easy, you can find videos on youtube.

You can buy the new locks at a big box hardware store and they can key them all the same.

I would suspect that any locksmith would only want to work on new hardware that they sold you just in case there is a problem with the hardware, which sounds reasonable to me. They would also likely charge you a high price and try to sell you more premium level hardware.
Savesavesave

Post by Savesavesave »

I believe if you take the locks in to.home depot they will re-key for $5/lock. Check that of course.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Savesavesave wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:33 am I believe if you take the locks in to.home depot they will re-key for $5/lock. Check that of course.
True.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I installed a front door lock which uses a 4-digit code. I’m very happy not to have to deal with house keys.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

They will probably find a way to deny the claim/service. Home warranties are excellent at that.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Watty wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 am I would suspect that any locksmith would only want to work on new hardware that they sold you just in case there is a problem with the hardware, which sounds reasonable to me. They would also likely charge you a high price and try to sell you more premium level hardware.
I've had locks rekeyed 2-3 times with no problem. I think locksmiths do this a lot, for example, every time a house changes hands.
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

If you have the money and are serious about home security I recommend Medeco locks. The big advantage is to get duplicate keys made requires a trip to a Medeco dealer and proof of identity.
Adapt or perish
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Top99% wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:55 am If you have the money and are serious about home security I recommend Medeco locks. The big advantage is to get duplicate keys made requires a trip to a Medeco dealer and proof of identity.
All true, but there's no way a home warranty service would cover a lock like Medeco. Most likely, the home warranty service rekeying is just replacing the cylinders, which probably is not worth the $75 site visit fee. You could likely find similar service for a cheaper price or better service for a similar price if you just contacted locksmiths directly.

And like another poster, I've had horrible prior experience with home warranty services. I'm pretty sure it was actually American Home Shield, although it was many years ago so I'm not positive. It took them three weeks to replace a controller on the HVAC in the middle of winter when it broke and they left a hole in the HVAC transition and refused to fix it because the "HVAC still works" (apparently heating/cooling the outside is within their definition of working).
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Top99% wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:55 am If you have the money and are serious about home security I recommend Medeco locks. The big advantage is to get duplicate keys made requires a trip to a Medeco dealer and proof of identity.
I used to own an apartment in one of NYC's outer boroughs. I was able to have extra keys for a Medeco dead bolt made at more than one local hardware store without proof of identity. Not all stores carry the Medeco blanks, however.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Watty

Post by Watty »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:56 am They will probably find a way to deny the claim/service. Home warranties are excellent at that.
In my experience the quality of the contractors they use is very low too.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I don't think rekeying the locks was much more than $75 the last time we had it done. It might have been $100, but it wasn't much more than that.

If you own a screwdriver, swapping out deadbolts and doorknobs is an easy task. Swap out the locks yourself, then spend the $75 to get the locksmith to key them all the same.

But I agree with the person who changed to the keyless locks. We did that the last time we moved. So nice.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

Thanks for everyone's responses on this. Sounds like, as expected, the home warranty is pretty useless and I won't bother using it to re-key my doors. Having already purchased one of those new keypad locks, I am also now inspired to try to replace the deadbolt on the house myself - worse comes to worst, I will have completed half the locksmith's job for him :D