Advice: Proper planning for state resident status with new home

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
keaton

Advice: Proper planning for state resident status with new home

Post by keaton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:36 pm

My wife and I recently bought a piece of property in Maine, yet we are based out of NH and travel a lot for work. We plan on building a house with a loan, yet the bank does not like loaning on "investment" property.

This is our first property with a long term goal of living in it half of the year, thus keeping our residency out of state. The issue with this is again, trying to get a bank loan, as technically it is not a primary residence for tax purposes, yet it's our only property.

So my question is, can I apply for a loan stating primary residence yet still retain out of state domicile? Since we do plan on living there but not right away. I would like to know my game plan before opening my mouth at the bank with processing the loan application.

MP123

Re: Advice: Proper planning for state resident status with new home

Post by MP123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 pm

If you intend to occupy the newly built house as your primary residence but then change your mind along the way will that be a problem with the construction loan/mortgage?