TurboTax Prices

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
John151

TurboTax Prices

Post by John151 »

I filed my taxes with the online version of TurboTax for over fifteen years, until TurboTax started playing games with its prices and with what its prices covered. I switched to TaxAct because its prices were more straightforward and substantially less than what TurboTax was charging.

Today I got an email from TurboTax offering what seemed to be an amazing deal:

TurboTax
Absolute Zero
Guaranteed

$0 Fed $0 State $0 To File

“Wow!” I thought. “TurboTax must really want me back.” But when I logged on to my TurboTax account, I found a very different price:

TurboTax Deluxe $39.99, plus $36.99 to e-file a state return.

So I went back to the email and saw in tiny letters almost too faint to read:

"Forms 1040EZ/1040A, limited time only"

TurboTax is still playing games.
Alan S.

Re: TurboTax Prices

Post by Alan S. »

Are you sure that you do not qualify for a 1040A with your taxable income under 100k?

If you had no additional income types from last year and your taxable income is under 100k, check to see what form was generated by TTax for 2016.
Topic Author
John151

Post by John151 »

I don’t meet the qualifications for a 1040A, Alan, but I appreciate the suggestion.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

H&R Block is offering a free Fed( 1040 included ) /State online according to their Website.
All the Best, | Joe
Topic Author
John151

Post by John151 »

Thank you, joe8d. Unfortunately, it looks like H&R Block’s free edition doesn’t handle Schedule D, which I have to file this year to report a capital loss carryover.

The best offer I’ve had so far was from TaxAct: $13.50 for my federal return. I signed up for it. A state return is currently $37, but I may decide to file my state return directly with the state.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

So for those who plan on buying TurboTax (that includes me), what vendor has historically offered the best prices, and roughly when?

I have camelcamelcamel track the Amazon price for me.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

My father in law buys Turbo Tax at Costco every year and let's his children use it. There are enough licenses that I was even able to use it before we got married. Still have to pay to file state taxes, but it saves us a few bucks each year.

For those without such a father in law, perhaps there is someone you could split the costs with?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Turbo Tax Premier is $69 @ Amazon now.
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

sailaway wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 pm My father in law buys Turbo Tax at Costco every year and let's his children use it. There are enough licenses that I was even able to use it before we got married. Still have to pay to file state taxes, but it saves us a few bucks each year.

For those without such a father in law, perhaps there is someone you could split the costs with?
I had this going with my FIL the last couple years and saw a thread this year: h&r block $10 for fed+invest
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

Costco generally drops prices sometime between Christmas and 1st week in jan. Can't recall exactly when. At the same time most other vendors do the same. Last year I got Premier at Costco Online after XMAS for $56. The Mac version of the program didn't work. TTax sent me a link to download the file. After that hassle I think I'd rather buy locally so I can swap it if necessary.

If you get lucky, sometimes you can find it considerably cheaper, usually for a very limited time. Is it worth saving $20 to keep watching web sites and forums to score that extra $20?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 pm So for those who plan on buying TurboTax (that includes me), what vendor has historically offered the best prices, and roughly when?

I have camelcamelcamel track the Amazon price for me.
Last year I found that Amazon was periodically dropping the price for the CD (Premier with fed/state - product I was looking for - not sure about others) such that it was cheaper than online or Amazon/other download offers. Buying the physical CD seemed so old school but it was $15 cheaper.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I got a CD in the mail yesterday from H&R Block containing their free Deluxe version. I tried H&R a couple of years ago, along with Tax Act, and just keep returning to TurboTax. I do wish these competing low prices would influence TurboTax's but have concluded it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, and will buy at Costco when they have their first $10 cut (I'm not totally into wasting money!).

I buy the CD and convert it to a file to load it on my CD-free laptop.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bob60014 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:38 pm Turbo Tax Premier is $69 @ Amazon now.
Right, and it's been pretty stable since end of November, except for one day (Dec 7) where it dropped to $54.86... for about four hours. I did get the camelcamelcamel notification that day, but by the time I got around to buying it the price had already been changed back to $69.
duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan »

I’m a Fidelity customer, and as part of their Private Client group due to my assets, I’m assuming I’ll get free TT Premier this year. Last year I had my TT purchase refunded by Fidelity, as I was in the process of a rollover and didn’t have the free offer on the website.

Any Fidelity clients out there that have received the free TT offer?
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Anybody found anything less than 59.00 for TT Delux,FED and State? I saw it in Staples.
Amazon has it for 50, plus tax, free shipping.
gd

Post by gd »

I was searching for cheapest sources, then slowly started realizing I was spending time and delaying valuable cg harvesting decisions to save.... maybe $10 on a once/year, extremely important purchase. Better way to save $10/year: skip one fast food meal when you'll be home in an hour anyway.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

costco normally has $10 off starting Jan 2.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

I purchased desktop-TT for my Macbook this week, but discovered that it would not run on my mid-2009 Mac's IOS, and that I can't upgrade the OS (my computer is too old).

I called TT, and they issued a refund. They also urged me to use the online version of the program.

Any thoughts on whether the online program is similar/identical to the downloaded version? I haven't checked cost yet.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm I purchased desktop-TT for my Macbook this week, but discovered that it would not run on my mid-2009 Mac's IOS, and that I can't upgrade the OS (my computer is too old).

I called TT, and they issued a refund. They also urged me to use the online version of the program.

Any thoughts on whether the online program is similar/identical to the downloaded version? I haven't checked cost yet.
The online version is NOT identical and will not process all the same forms. If you're filing a 1040A or a 1040EZ, its probably ok.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

pshonore wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm The online version is NOT identical and will not process all the same forms. If you're filing a 1040A or a 1040EZ, its probably ok.
I need to report cap gains, divs, Roth conversion. Deduct property taxes, mortgage, medical deductions .... Is TT online ok at that level? If not, does anyone have a recommendation? I actually would prefer an online application rather than a download.

Also - why does TT online let you prepare your return and pay only when you want to print/file? Seems like a strange business model, since it would allow you to do your taxes by hand and check results on TT.

thanks!
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
SittingOnTheFence

Small Law Survivor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm Any thoughts on whether the online program is similar/identical to the downloaded version?
My thoughts on this revolve around security. I simply don't trust this type of thing. I don't want to be putting such personal data online, and that said, I suspect that TT is downloading my info from my desktop when I electronically file so maybe there is no difference.

I guess if TT refunded your money then it indeed won't run on your computer. Last year I bought the CD at Costco and it would not install. TT gave me a download link that worked just fine, on a 64bit computer.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

TT Premier download with 1 state $41.75

Tax Pros

https://store.taxprosdeal.com/index.php ... tate-pc-dl
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

SittingOnTheFence wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm
Small Law Survivor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm Any thoughts on whether the online program is similar/identical to the downloaded version?
My thoughts on this revolve around security. I simply don't trust this type of thing. I don't want to be putting such personal data online, and that said, I suspect that TT is downloading my info from my desktop when I electronically file so maybe there is no difference.

Here's a list of what EROs must retain and keep on file after e-filing your return:
https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/er ... to-the-irs
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Freetaxusa does schedule c and d and lives up to it's name. Only downsides are the platform is online and does not import brokerage data.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

trueson1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:21 pm TT Premier download with 1 state $41.75

Tax Pros

Anyone have experience with this seller? Google search reveals some posts on Intuit's site that indicate that it may not be an authorized reseller, but nothing that looks 100% authoritative. E.g.,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/36924 ... you-verify
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 pm
trueson1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:21 pm TT Premier download with 1 state $41.75

Tax Pros

Anyone have experience with this seller? Google search reveals some posts on Intuit's site that indicate that it may not be an authorized reseller, but nothing that looks 100% authoritative. E.g.,

I was wondering the same - i.e. is the seller an authorized reseller.

FYI - Amazon has TT Deluxe (download, fed only) for $39.86 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BHNVM6). This is 20% off the list price. TT Deluxe + state is $49.86 (price has been the same for the last few days).
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:14 am
pshonore wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm The online version is NOT identical and will not process all the same forms. If you're filing a 1040A or a 1040EZ, its probably ok.
I need to report cap gains, divs, Roth conversion. Deduct property taxes, mortgage, medical deductions .... Is TT online ok at that level? If not, does anyone have a recommendation? I actually would prefer an online application rather than a download.

Also - why does TT online let you prepare your return and pay only when you want to print/file? Seems like a strange business model, since it would allow you to do your taxes by hand and check results on TT.

thanks!
The online version should be fine.

You can prepare your taxes by hand and check the final result with TurboTax for free. Will not be able to see all the details without paying though.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Tax Pros

I bought from a similar site (maybe them under a different name) a couple of years ago and it worked fine. It seems questionable, but you'd think that Intuit would have figured out how to shut them down by now if they were. On the other hand, the name does seem to change pretty regularly :).
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

duckcalldan wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm I’m a Fidelity customer, and as part of their Private Client group due to my assets, I’m assuming I’ll get free TT Premier this year. Last year I had my TT purchase refunded by Fidelity, as I was in the process of a rollover and didn’t have the free offer on the website.

Any Fidelity clients out there that have received the free TT offer?
I have not received the offer yet and no one in "Fidelity Free Turbotax" thread has reported seeing it either. I wrote to my rep last week asking if they would have the offer again and I got a response saying "As of right now, there is not Turbotax offer. This may change mid December, I will let you know. Please keep an eye out as well!"
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

“This may change mid-December?”

But it is already mid-December!
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Tax Pros

I've used them twice ( 2 separate years, including this year) with no problems. Although I'm seeing a similar price for premier on other sites now.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

trueson1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am

Tax Pros

I've used them twice ( 2 separate years, including this year) with no problems. Although I'm seeing a similar price for premier on other sites now.
Are any of the sites with a "similar price" authorized resellers? If so - can you please enlighten.
I'm not going to risk buying from a non-authorized (with unauthorized sellers you have no idea if what you are buying will fully work - or where you personal information will end up).
Looks like the price for legitimate Premier is running around $69.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Honestly, this is a product that I buy once a year and it isn't that expensive on an absolute level so I don't stress over the price of a product that I've been using for years, know how to use and can easily import data from the prior year to help with the current year.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

H&R Block had a sale a few weeks back for their "Deluxe" product + one state (one fed efile free, but state efile would be charge -- I can print it out and mail it in though) for $15. I haven't used the H&R Block product in years, but I figured $15 was worth it. While I also have to do Sched D for capital loss carryovers, my returns is generally easy to do (W2, mortgage, 401k, Roth IRA, and Vanguard taxable distributions), so it should meet my needs.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

topper1296 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 am Honestly, this is a product that I buy once a year and it isn't that expensive on an absolute level so I don't stress over the price of a product that I've been using for years, know how to use and can easily import data from the prior year to help with the current year.
Generally agree. I have no need to buy it today since I don’t have all the data yet to use it, so I am okay to let camelcamelcamel watch for Amazon deals for me. But if I end up paying “full price”, not a huge deal.

My concern with obscure sellers are - what am I actually installing (just Turbotax? Some “enhancements”?), and will Intuit’s servers accept the return when it comes time to efile?

On the other hand, the one site listed above has been around under various names for years, so why hasn’t Intuit squashed them if they were doing something bad? Reselling a product without being an authorized seller is presumably not by itself illegal.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am
My concern with obscure sellers are - what am I actually installing (just Turbotax? Some “enhancements”?), and will Intuit’s servers accept the return when it comes time to efile?
The real concern I have is what ELSE might you be installing at a the same time? A botnet-agent, key-logger, or worse?
When it comes to downloading something to my PC - I'm sticking to well-known sites. Perhaps the "download" code of the non-authorized resellers are somehow legitimate purchases from Turbotax and do send you directly to Turbotax - but for $25 savings - not worth the risk.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am The real concern I have is what ELSE might you be installing at a the same time? A botnet-agent, key-logger, or worse?
When it comes to downloading something to my PC - I'm sticking to well-known sites. Perhaps the "download" code of the non-authorized resellers are somehow legitimate purchases from Turbotax and do send you directly to Turbotax - but for $25 savings - not worth the risk.
When I bought from a similar site I downloaded directly from them. Not even the known legit companies like Staples and Amazon have you download from Intuit.

There was nothing in my download that was flagged by any anti-virus or spyware program.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

HueyLD wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 am “This may change mid-December?”

Well, it was last Monday when she responded, so not quite mid-December at that point.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am The real concern I have is what ELSE might you be installing at a the same time? A botnet-agent, key-logger, or worse?
When I bought from a similar site I downloaded directly from them. Not even the known legit companies like Staples and Amazon have you download from Intuit.

There was nothing in my download that was flagged by any anti-virus or spyware program.
No antivirus nor spyware program will detect 100% of the malware - best thing you can do is to only download software from known/trusted legitimate sites. I'm certainly not implying that I know for a fact that the above site (or whichever you used) is problematic but certainly not something I am risking.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

There will be a new taxlaw very soon, so do all these tax programs have to be changed?
Vanguard usually sends out their 2017 results the end of February, so why should I buy TT or H&R Block now, would not be able to use them anyway until February?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

likegarden wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 pm There will be a new taxlaw very soon, so do all these tax programs have to be changed?
No, you are referring to future year tax changes that are proposed. Which we can't discuss here per the rules of the forum.
Vanguard usually sends out their 2017 results the end of February, so why should I buy TT or H&R Block now, would not be able to use them anyway until February?
My guess is that some people like to model their taxes before year-end. (I see the Taxcaster apps were just updated the other day)

I personally am not in a rush to get the new software.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

likegarden wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 pm There will be a new taxlaw very soon, so do all these tax programs have to be changed?
You are correct; there are changes that will effect 2017 returns but the vast majority will be effective in 2018
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

pshonore wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 pm
You are correct; there are changes that will effect 2017 returns but the vast majority will be effective in 2018
And in any case - the primary software vendors provide free updates to the software right up until you file your taxes. Provide you buy a legit TurboTax license - it checks for updates everytime you launch it (Note that each version of software is for a specific tax year - but for that tax year - it provides all updates).
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am When I bought from a similar site I downloaded directly from them. Not even the known legit companies like Staples and Amazon have you download from Intuit.

Hello Bill,

I recommend shying away from unknown providers for software. Staples, Amazon, Intuit (TT) and H&R Block are fine - they will not damage your computer knowingly.

As for anti-virus software - they are not that effective these days. I use one, but do not allow the use to give me a license for risky behavior such as downloading software from unknown sites. There are many articles from security professionals on this topic. For example, see http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ymore.html

Personally, I am going to wait a few more weeks till my tax documents come in. If I get a better deal than what is on Amazon.com currently (from a well known provider), great. If not, I will just pay the going rate.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

HueyLD wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 am “This may change mid-December?”

The Fidelity offer is available. Unfortunately, I got an error when I got to the TT page. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
SittingOnTheFence

I won't buy a copy for download. I want a product in a box. So 6 yrs from now if I have to open a file for whatever reason I can install it on what will presumably be a different computer.

And the boxed version contains both Win & Mac versions. So I have that extra flexibility if desired.
It's still too soon to be expecting a price cut. It will start soon and in plenty of time before you get the W2's & 1099's.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

SittingOnTheFence wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 am I won't buy a copy for download. I want a product in a box. So 6 yrs from now if I have to open a file for whatever reason I can install it on what will presumably be a different computer.
You can do that with the downloaded installer file, too. If you think the physical medium helps, burn it on a DVD.

I think one possible problem with the “in six years” scenario might be that the version on your disk (whether bought or burned) isn’t necessarily what was used to file your taxes six years earlier. In my experience (I tend to efile a few days before April 15) TT downloads updates virtually every time I start it during tax preparation season. I don’t know if any of those updates or bug fixes impact my changes or even the format of the data file. I don’t know if those updates would still be downloadable six years later.
And the boxed version contains both Win & Mac versions. So I have that extra flexibility if desired.
That is true and one reason I have most years bought the disk (it was also often cheaper).
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

A couple of years ago TurboTax and Amazon had a deal where you could apply IIRC 120% of your refund to an Amazon Gift card. That year I sent Uncle Sam some extra money so I could make a quick 20% on this "loan". If this deal comes up again I will announce it.
Adapt or perish
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Hi,

I saw quite a few people complaining about difficulty installing the Amazon download for the Deluxe version. Has anyone here downloaded it on a Windows 7 machine running AVG and had difficulty getting it to install? Also, if it won't install, will Intuit customer service offer help or am I stuck with the people in India who work for Amazon and Know Nothing.

I'd like to download it now because I could use the business deduction this year.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I prefer the CD version to the download. As mentioned, I may want to reinstall it a few years from now for audit purposes. In addition, Turbo Tax is not as transparent with the features of the download version and you may buy a bargain only to find out it won't handle a form you need.

Then again, also as mentioned, it is a once a year modestly priced product. I got mine a Staples last year when it was $10.00 off for the CD version of Deluxe.