Employer File Paperwork

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Raabe34

Employer File Paperwork

Post by Raabe34 »

I've been at my current employer 10+ years at this point. I have ownership in 1 division but significant involvement in other divisions. They brought in a new partner in the one division I have a bunch of involvement with without me knowing and I found out in a really unceremonious way. Needless to say this wasn't the first time something like this is happened and I'm pretty butt-hurt. I think I've come to peace with the idea of moving on to other endeavors but I have no idea what kind of non-compete I signed long ago and whether that even covers the divisions I ended up excelling in as that's not where I started. So if I make a formal request to HR for that file what are they legally required to give me? This is not the type of stuff I'm good at.
fizxman

Re: Employer File Paperwork

Post by fizxman »

I when I asked for a copy of my signed non-compete from HR, I was sent a PDF via email. I think my boss was also copied on the email as well. This was about 5 years after I was hired so I assume I have a "note" in my "file" now. Obviously if/when you get it, keep a copy. And for anyone else about to sign a non-compete or any other form you may want access to later, keep a copy.

I have no idea of the legality of employers being able to withhold your non-compete specifically or any document that you signed or that pertains to you but I doubt they can keep it from you.