Quicken Files Corrupting Often-Anyone else?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

Quicken Files Corrupting Often-Anyone else?

Post by virginiabirdie »

I've had my quicken files corrupt 5 times now. I backup, so it's not awful. It is very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

I periodically run the "Validate and Repair" preventatively, but it doesn't help. FWIW, when I run the "Validate and Repair" option on the corrupted Quicken file, the culprits are usually benign look transactions--like a line in my credit card for shoes. Not sure how they can corrupt the entire quick file.
DetroitRick

Re: Quicken Files Corrupting Often-Anyone else?

Post by DetroitRick »

Bumping thread for more visibility ...

I'm a long-time and frequent Quicken user (multiple QDF files, many accounts, and lots of downloads), currently using 2016 Premier, and have not experienced file corruption in years (knock on wood because just saying that is probably tempting fate :annoyed ). But it certainly happens. Quicken does read and write to disk A LOT, which can open a window to this type of problem. Still, I'm running Quicken over a network (which isn't recommended for that same reason) without issue.

A few things to consider...
After you run Validate and Repair, fixing the issue, if you then rerun it again will it still show the problem, or does it only show up down the road? In other words, is it REALLY getting fixed the first time.
Can you isolate the issue to any particular transaction download (might one provider be repetitively causing the issue, such as a single credit card provider)?
Also, consider checking the health of your hard drive, just in case the corruption is originating from early stage of hard drive failure.

Beyond that, I've seen two ideas on the Quicken websites concerning file corruption:
1)This one, which basically has you make a file copy, run validate and repair, then use that new copy.
link:
https://www.quicken.com/support/advance ... en-windows

2)Then there is this one, which I have never used, where there is a "Supervalidate" procedure:
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencomm ... block-2017
I'd definitely do backups before trying either one, if you decide to.

Maybe others will have better ideas. Hope you can get it resolved.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

I used quicken for ten years, and then it became impossible to use.

I switched to QuickBooks, and everything works. I did need help from the QB help person to make the data transfer. Personal life does not really fit the QB business model, but if you follow the QB preferred work flow, (enter bills, pay bills, enter invoice, receive payment), it works.

Ralph
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

virginiabirdie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am I've had my quicken files corrupt 5 times now. I backup, so it's not awful. It is very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

I periodically run the "Validate and Repair" preventatively, but it doesn't help. FWIW, when I run the "Validate and Repair" option on the corrupted Quicken file, the culprits are usually benign look transactions--like a line in my credit card for shoes. Not sure how they can corrupt the entire quick file.
I've only had it once (Quicken 2016). Thankfully I have Crash Plan (for another 7 months, sigh), and rolled back to last weeks version.
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie »

DetroitRick wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am Bumping thread for more visibility ...

I'm a long-time and frequent Quicken user (multiple QDF files, many accounts, and lots of downloads), currently using 2016 Premier, and have not experienced file corruption in years (knock on wood because just saying that is probably tempting fate :annoyed ). But it certainly happens. Quicken does read and write to disk A LOT, which can open a window to this type of problem. Still, I'm running Quicken over a network (which isn't recommended for that same reason) without issue.

A few things to consider...
After you run Validate and Repair, fixing the issue, if you then rerun it again will it still show the problem, or does it only show up down the road? In other words, is it REALLY getting fixed the first time.
Can you isolate the issue to any particular transaction download (might one provider be repetitively causing the issue, such as a single credit card provider)?
Also, consider checking the health of your hard drive, just in case the corruption is originating from early stage of hard drive failure.

Beyond that, I've seen two ideas on the Quicken websites concerning file corruption:
1)This one, which basically has you make a file copy, run validate and repair, then use that new copy.
link:
https://www.quicken.com/support/advance ... en-windows

2)Then there is this one, which I have never used, where there is a "Supervalidate" procedure:
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencomm ... block-2017
I'd definitely do backups before trying either one, if you decide to.

Maybe others will have better ideas. Hope you can get it resolved.

Thanks Rick. I'll try option 1 and 2. I validate, then re-validate. but haven't tried the next step of saving file as new copy. Wish there was a better option to Quicken.
cyfairslam

Post by cyfairslam »

I have not had a problem with file corruption and I have been using the same file for 8 years.

I am getting a few quirks here recently. I believe I have the 2016 version.

When I download transactions I have to hit the accept button twice for some reason. This happens about 50% of the time.

Also, on one of my accounts, it does not find or match transactions consistently. Even when I try to manually match it will not do it even when they have the same dates and amounts.

Hopefully this type of stuff will be fixed soon.
drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 »

I've never had corruption issues and I've been using Quicken since MS discontinued Money (2010 or so?)
I generally upgrade every year and am currently running Quicken 2017. My data file is 75MB.
GLState

Post by GLState »

I've been using Quicken since it was a DOS checkbook program without any problems with file corruption. I would agree with the other poster that suggested a hard drive problem. Your hard drive manufacturer should have a program available to check your drive's health.