best cashback credit card ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
mk1039
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:06 pm

best cashback credit card ?

Post by mk1039 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

whats the best credit card with highest cashback on gas and stores etc currently.

i have been using citi double cashback for everything for sometime now but have started looking for something better. i came across penfed credit card with 5% cashback only on gas and was wondering if there is any other better deal with higher cashback on multiple permanent categories?

jdilla1107
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by jdilla1107 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm

The costco card is 4% on gas, 3% on travel, 3% on restaurants. The Amex Blue cash is 3% on groceries. (Or 5% if you pay an annual fee)

A combination of those two cards plus the double cash for everything else, is what I do.

User avatar
Cloud
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:43 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Cloud » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 pm


Slacker
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Slacker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm

We use American Express Blue Cash Preferred for Groceries (6% back) and Gasoline (3% back).
Discover for the occasional 5% categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserved for dining out & travel related expenses (3x miles)
USAA for everything else (2.5%).

My wife gets a little annoyed at all this fumbling around with cards and just uses the American Express & USAA cards. I always pay the bill when dining out and handle the Discover so this is just fine for me.

am
Posts: 2620
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by am » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Fidelity no fee visa for 2% on everything.

Chase sapphire reserve for 4.5% on travel and dining (as long as you use the chase portal for booking travel)

Chase freedom for 7.5% back in categories every quarter (as long as you transfer to saphire reserve and use in chase travel portal)

User avatar
rocket354
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by rocket354 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

jdilla1107 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
The costco card is 4% on gas, 3% on travel, 3% on restaurants. The Amex Blue cash is 3% on groceries. (Or 5% if you pay an annual fee)

A combination of those two cards plus the double cash for everything else, is what I do.
6% with an annual fee that makes it an effective 4.4% card if you max it out.

Barclay's Uber card is 4% restaurants, 3% travel, 2% online purchases and no foreign transaction fees.

radiowave
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by radiowave » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm

AMEX everyday blue works (no annual fee). I also like the Discover 5% categories. I find the Discover card has the easiest rewards interface, just transfer whatever dollars into your monthly statement. AMEX you have to do it in $25 chunks.

I would like to use the Fidelity 2% card but it's still not connected to Full View to track expenses, geeze that's a year and a half and they still haven't figured it out so I keep that card locked up in the safe <rant off>
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

User avatar
dwickenh
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by dwickenh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Paypal Mastercard from Synchrony Bank is 2% back on everything in cash.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

need403bhelp
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by need403bhelp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm
jdilla1107 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
The costco card is 4% on gas, 3% on travel, 3% on restaurants. The Amex Blue cash is 3% on groceries. (Or 5% if you pay an annual fee)

A combination of those two cards plus the double cash for everything else, is what I do.
6% with an annual fee that makes it an effective 4.4% card if you max it out.
Yes 4.4%.

6% of $6000 = 0.06 x 6000 = $360
$360 cash back - $95 annual fee = $265
Cash back / spend = $265 / $6000 = 0.04416 ~ 4.4%

KT785
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by KT785 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Amex Blue Cash Preferred- 6% Groceries
Sam's Club MasterCard - 5% Gas, 3% Dining, 3% Travel
Discover It - 5% rotating categories
Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories
Amazon Prime Visa Signature - 5% Amazon purchases
Citi Double Cash - 2% everywhere else (utilities/bills/etc. and non-higher category spend)

I also frequently check the Discover and Chase shopping portals when planning an online (non-Amazon) purchase as you can frequently get 5%+ cash back with various businesses outside of the current Chase/Discover quarterly category.

takeshi
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by takeshi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 pm

mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
whats the best credit card with highest cashback on gas and stores etc currently.
Which stores, specifically? "Stores" is too broad to be a rewards category. Are you only looking for one card or a combination of cards?
mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
i came across penfed credit card with 5% cashback
The 5% card is long gone. They have a 5x card but it's not 5%. IIRC it's a bit over 4% given the value of the points.
mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
i have been using citi double cashback for everything for sometime now but have started looking for something better.
Also consider how much spend (and therefore, cash back) you're talking about. How many $ is that extra 1% to 3% going to be on the volume of spend that you're talking about?
jdilla1107 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
The costco card is 4% on gas
If the OP does not already have a Costco membership then that should be considered as it is a requirement for the card.
am wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm
Chase sapphire reserve for 4.5% on travel and dining (as long as you use the chase portal for booking travel)

Chase freedom for 7.5% back in categories every quarter (as long as you transfer to saphire reserve and use in chase travel portal)
The portal does offer 1.5x but that can be beaten in some cases by transferring to partner airlines (especially for international premium cabin travel).

TwstdSista
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by TwstdSista » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 am

I use:

Target RED card - 5% off everything at Target
Amazon Visa - Amazon.com points
Fidelity Rewards Visa - 2% back on everything
Local CU Visa - points towards restaurant gift cards
B&N Mastercard - B&N points

I'm realizing that I have too many CCs....

snowox
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by snowox » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 am

Slacker wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm
We use American Express Blue Cash Preferred for Groceries (6% back) and Gasoline (3% back).
Discover for the occasional 5% categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserved for dining out & travel related expenses (3x miles)
USAA for everything else (2.5%).

My wife gets a little annoyed at all this fumbling around with cards and just uses the American Express & USAA cards. I always pay the bill when dining out and handle the Discover so this is just fine for me.

Is there a yearly fee with the American Express Blue Cash Preferred card?

Carl53
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Carl53 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am

I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by flamesabers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:06 am

mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
whats the best credit card with highest cashback on gas and stores etc currently.
For gas I use USAA's Cashback Rewards Plus Amex. I get 5% cashback on the first $3k I spend every year at gas stations. You can also get 2% on the first $3k you spend every year at supermarkets, but I don't bother with this feature since I have USAA's 2.5% Limitless Visa.

Slacker
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Slacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am

snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 am
Slacker wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm
We use American Express Blue Cash Preferred for Groceries (6% back) and Gasoline (3% back).
Discover for the occasional 5% categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserved for dining out & travel related expenses (3x miles)
USAA for everything else (2.5%).

My wife gets a little annoyed at all this fumbling around with cards and just uses the American Express & USAA cards. I always pay the bill when dining out and handle the Discover so this is just fine for me.

Is there a yearly fee with the American Express Blue Cash Preferred card?
Yes. $95/yr
We spend on average $5000/yr at grocery stores which yields $205 cashback after the fee. This compares to the non-fee American Express Blue Cash card 3% cashback yielding $150 cashback with no fee.

American Express does occasionally have "special offers" that I let them email to me. I have done things such as "spend $5 or more at QT corner stores and get $5 back". These offers are handled on American Express' end so that it can be combined with any other coupons/offers (recently bought something at Bed Bath & Beyond using the 20% off one item discount and $5 back if spending over $25 deals together which ended up being a 25% combined discount on a $100 item).

nolesrule
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by nolesrule » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.

DSInvestor
Posts: 10806
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm

I use Citibank DoubleCash for most domestic spending. In addition to the 2% cash back, I really like the CITI PRICE REWIND feature which gives you money back if a lower price is found with 60 days of purchase for a product you bought with the card. Purchases must be registered with CITI PRICE REWIND service.

Costco Visa for gasoline (4% cash back), 2% for costco purchases and 1% everything else. The Costco Visa card can be used in Canadian Costco stores with no foreign transaction fee.

Capital One Quicksilver for foreign spending as there is no foreign transaction fee and 1.5% cash back.
Wiki

User avatar
SurfCityBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm
Location: Western United States

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:18 pm

radiowave wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm
I find the Discover card has the easiest rewards interface, just transfer whatever dollars into your monthly statement.
Rather than transfer rewards directly into my Discover statement I exchange them for discounted gift cards on Discover. I was able to get 10% off Lowe's cards effectively saving $40 on a $400 dishwasher.

SeaToTheBay
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by SeaToTheBay » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm

jdilla1107 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
The costco card is 4% on gas, 3% on travel, 3% on restaurants. The Amex Blue cash is 3% on groceries. (Or 5% if you pay an annual fee)

A combination of those two cards plus the double cash for everything else, is what I do.
I do the Costco card, the Citi Double Cash, and have a Chase Freedom card (rotating 5% categories) for personal (not shared with wife) use, although I hardly use it and do end up using it for household purchases within the 5% category.

overthought
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by overthought » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Slacker wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm
We use American Express Blue Cash Preferred for Groceries (6% back) and Gasoline (3% back).
Discover for the occasional 5% categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserved for dining out & travel related expenses (3x miles)
USAA for everything else (2.5%).
Is USAA really 2.5%? The web site seems to advertise only 1.5%?

The AA card is less attractive to me it only works for traditional grocery stores. Specialty, big-box, and warehouse stores are all excluded. We also don't spend a ton on gas (1 car, no commute). The $95/year fee also irks.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1365
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Citi Doublecash, Amazon, Costco, Amex Blue Cash Everyday. I am more careful now to try not to spend more just because there is a category bonus or intro bonus. Starbucks bonus = coffee is on me this quarter! Spend 3k get 50,000 miles: time to buy a new TV, computer, camera, etc.! Instead I pay bills ahead.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1527
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

I use costco visa for gas and restaurants, Fidelity 2% card for everything else.

I make at least 1k per year, perhaps even 1.5k. I put everything through these cards except our mortgage.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3934
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

CIti Doublecash is what I use for most purchases - 2% on everything with no annual fee.
If you are Amazon Prime you should sign up for their 5% back card - I just have that one plugged into my amazon account.

Slacker
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Slacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm

overthought wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm
Slacker wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm
We use American Express Blue Cash Preferred for Groceries (6% back) and Gasoline (3% back).
Discover for the occasional 5% categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserved for dining out & travel related expenses (3x miles)
USAA for everything else (2.5%).
Is USAA really 2.5%? The web site seems to advertise only 1.5%?

The AA card is less attractive to me it only works for traditional grocery stores. Specialty, big-box, and warehouse stores are all excluded. We also don't spend a ton on gas (1 car, no commute). The $95/year fee also irks.
Special limited rollout that I think they are now withdrawing.

See this thread (particularly the last two pages):
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=201331&start=200

Carl53
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Carl53 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.
Yes, Blue Cash Preferred. For several years I had used it for gift cards purchased at the grocery to fill up my $6000 6% rebate allotment. Just prior to my annual fee being bumped up and charged I received a change in terms and conditions stating that gift cards purchases would any longer be allowed under the rebates. I decided to drop the card rather than fool with them since it would not be any big deal for them to peruse each purchase for GCs. I did acquire the BCE, Blue Cash Everyday card, but have not used it for GC purchases.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by flamesabers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm

overthought wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm
Is USAA really 2.5%? The web site seems to advertise only 1.5%?
It's 2.5% if you make a $1k monthly direct deposit into your USAA checking account.

If you don't already have the card though, it's difficult to obtain seeing as only Louisiana residents are eligible to get the card now.

nolesrule
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by nolesrule » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.
Yes, Blue Cash Preferred. For several years I had used it for gift cards purchased at the grocery to fill up my $6000 6% rebate allotment. Just prior to my annual fee being bumped up and charged I received a change in terms and conditions stating that gift cards purchases would any longer be allowed under the rebates. I decided to drop the card rather than fool with them since it would not be any big deal for them to peruse each purchase for GCs. I did acquire the BCE, Blue Cash Everyday card, but have not used it for GC purchases.
Interesting. I reviewed my Rewards history for the entire year (so far). The online purchase activity, statements and rewards calculations and actual reward activity all matched the category breakdowns, and that includes many hundreds of dollars in gift cards purchased.

I'll have to see what shows up in the next reward accrual, as we just purchased $1200 in gift cards prior to the previous statement period closing. The calculation for those will appear on my next statement at the end of the month.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
whats the best credit card with highest cashback on gas and stores etc currently.

i have been using citi double cashback for everything for sometime now but have started looking for something better. i came across penfed credit card with 5% cashback only on gas and was wondering if there is any other better deal with higher cashback on multiple permanent categories?
Whatever you do, I would keep that Citi Double Cashback as the "everything else" card. Most cards that offer higher cashback on categories only offer 1% cashback on everything else.

Here's my lineup:
6% Groceries on AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - ALSO a lot of cashback on their offers with specific retailers
5% on rotating categories with both Chase Freedom and Discover It
3% at restaurants, gas, office supply, and home improvement with Chase Ink
2% on everything else with Citi Double Cashback

If I were to pick just one other card to hold in addition to the 2% Citi, it would be the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. That 6% at grocery stores up to $6k a year is great, and I really use the heck out of the "special offers" for another $5 cashback off $20 purchase at Five Guys or $30 cashback off $100 purchase at local restaurant etc. Some work involved, but helps make this my second highest earning cashback card each year, second only to the Citi.

Houe
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Houe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Here is my CC list. Seems quite similar to what a lot of others have mentioned.

costco citi 4% gas, 3% restaurants
amazon prime 5% amazon.com
chase freedom and discover 5% rotating categories
AMEX blue 3% groceries
fidelity 2% everything else

Honestly I'm tempted to simplify. Might dump amex because the main grocery store we use does not accept CCs and we get quite a bit a groceries at costco. Amex is used sparingly. I'm also considering dumping the chase and discover just because its a hassle. The fidelity and costco citi really would give me 90% of the rewards i get per year.

stevegpt
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by stevegpt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 pm

KT785 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 pm
Amex Blue Cash Preferred- 6% Groceries
Sam's Club MasterCard - 5% Gas, 3% Dining, 3% Travel
Discover It - 5% rotating categories
Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories
Amazon Prime Visa Signature - 5% Amazon purchases
Citi Double Cash - 2% everywhere else (utilities/bills/etc. and non-higher category spend)

I also frequently check the Discover and Chase shopping portals when planning an online (non-Amazon) purchase as you can frequently get 5%+ cash back with various businesses outside of the current Chase/Discover quarterly category.
+1. This is my exact lineup as well!

snowox
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by snowox » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm

stevegpt wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 pm
KT785 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 pm
Amex Blue Cash Preferred- 6% Groceries
Sam's Club MasterCard - 5% Gas, 3% Dining, 3% Travel
Discover It - 5% rotating categories
Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories
Amazon Prime Visa Signature - 5% Amazon purchases
Citi Double Cash - 2% everywhere else (utilities/bills/etc. and non-higher category spend)

I also frequently check the Discover and Chase shopping portals when planning an online (non-Amazon) purchase as you can frequently get 5%+ cash back with various businesses outside of the current Chase/Discover quarterly category.
+1. This is my exact lineup as well!

This might seem like a dumb question but what does rotating categories mean? seems self explanatory but that would make it a pain in the butt if I am understanding it right.

shariq1989
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by shariq1989 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm

snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm
This might seem like a dumb question but what does rotating categories mean? seems self explanatory but that would make it a pain in the butt if I am understanding it right.
The categories (Restaurants, Wholesale clubs, gas, etc) rotate every month/quarter depending on the card. You can get 5% back on that specific category during the specified time period.

snowox
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by snowox » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm

shariq1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm
snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm
This might seem like a dumb question but what does rotating categories mean? seems self explanatory but that would make it a pain in the butt if I am understanding it right.
The categories (Restaurants, Wholesale clubs, gas, etc) rotate every month/quarter depending on the card. You can get 5% back on that specific category during the specified time period.

Thats what i thought , bought how is that communicated to you. Is there a chart or? per month /quarter.

Jags4186
Posts: 2182
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm

snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm
shariq1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm
snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm
This might seem like a dumb question but what does rotating categories mean? seems self explanatory but that would make it a pain in the butt if I am understanding it right.
The categories (Restaurants, Wholesale clubs, gas, etc) rotate every month/quarter depending on the card. You can get 5% back on that specific category during the specified time period.

Thats what i thought , bought how is that communicated to you. Is there a chart or? per month /quarter.
There is a chart like this:

Image

You will get an email around 3 weeks before the end of the current quarter reminding you to sign up for the following quarter. You can usually sign up directly from he email.

It’s annoying but lucrative.

BeneIRA
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm

nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.
Yes, Blue Cash Preferred. For several years I had used it for gift cards purchased at the grocery to fill up my $6000 6% rebate allotment. Just prior to my annual fee being bumped up and charged I received a change in terms and conditions stating that gift cards purchases would any longer be allowed under the rebates. I decided to drop the card rather than fool with them since it would not be any big deal for them to peruse each purchase for GCs. I did acquire the BCE, Blue Cash Everyday card, but have not used it for GC purchases.
Interesting. I reviewed my Rewards history for the entire year (so far). The online purchase activity, statements and rewards calculations and actual reward activity all matched the category breakdowns, and that includes many hundreds of dollars in gift cards purchased.

I'll have to see what shows up in the next reward accrual, as we just purchased $1200 in gift cards prior to the previous statement period closing. The calculation for those will appear on my next statement at the end of the month.
I purchase gift cards on mine all the time. I check the statement each month and they always count as groceries, even this past month. Could it change? Sure, but I will worry about it then and get my prorated annual fee refund. I plan on trying retention to see about getting the $95 fee lowered. If the grocery store doesn’t provide level 3 data, they also have no way to know.

gluskap
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by gluskap » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Bank of America Cash Rewards card. The card with no annual fees you only get 2% groceries and 3% gas and 1% everything else. However if you are a Platinum Honors member with BofA preferred rewards (which I just transferred $100k of Vanguard ETF VTI to easily get this status not to mention a $250 cashback reward), you get 75% bonus cashback. This works out to be 3.5% on groceries, 5.25% gas and 1.75% everything else.

I'm thinking of opening up the BofA Premium Rewards credit card once I get the Platinum Honors status (need to have the $100k balance for at least 3 months). With this card you normally get 2X points for travel and dining purchases and 1.5X points for everything else. With the Platinum Honors 75% bonus, that would be 3.5X points for travel and dining and 2.625X points for everything else. There is currently a 50,000 bonus if you spend $3000 in purchases in the first 90 days. There is an annual fee of $95 but with the $500 value in bonus, I could just cancel it after 5 years if I want.

fareastwarriors
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.
Yes, Blue Cash Preferred. For several years I had used it for gift cards purchased at the grocery to fill up my $6000 6% rebate allotment. Just prior to my annual fee being bumped up and charged I received a change in terms and conditions stating that gift cards purchases would any longer be allowed under the rebates. I decided to drop the card rather than fool with them since it would not be any big deal for them to peruse each purchase for GCs. I did acquire the BCE, Blue Cash Everyday card, but have not used it for GC purchases.
Interesting. I reviewed my Rewards history for the entire year (so far). The online purchase activity, statements and rewards calculations and actual reward activity all matched the category breakdowns, and that includes many hundreds of dollars in gift cards purchased.

I'll have to see what shows up in the next reward accrual, as we just purchased $1200 in gift cards prior to the previous statement period closing. The calculation for those will appear on my next statement at the end of the month.
I purchase gift cards on mine all the time. I check the statement each month and they always count as groceries, even this past month. Could it change? Sure, but I will worry about it then and get my prorated annual fee refund. I plan on trying retention to see about getting the $95 fee lowered. If the grocery store doesn’t provide level 3 data, they also have no way to know.
My gift card purchases show up as groceries too.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by wander » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

mk1039 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm
whats the best credit card with highest cashback on gas and stores etc currently.

i have been using citi double cashback for everything for sometime now but have started looking for something better. i came across penfed credit card with 5% cashback only on gas and was wondering if there is any other better deal with higher cashback on multiple permanent categories?
I also have PenFed gas card. For everything else, I use Priceline 2% rebate card and 5% rebate if buy on priceline.com.

BeneIRA
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm

And to answer the question, OP. If you don't care about sign-up bonus, rotating categories or anything, then the Citi Doublecash is your best bet. Charge everything on it, get, essentially, 2% back on everything, and move on with life.

GridironGems
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by GridironGems » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, I don't have it but am considering it:
Uber Credit Card

4% on dining (bars, restaurants, uberEats)
3% on travel (hotel, airfare)
2% on online purchases (including uber)
1% on everything else

$100 signup bonus after spending 500 in first 3 months

nolesrule
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by nolesrule » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I recently added the PNC Cash Rewards Visa.

4% gas, 3% restaurants (and 2% groceries, 1% everything else... neither which I use the card for). There is a cap of $8000 in purchases on the gas, restaurants and groceries. But it fits in fine with our regular purchasing habits.

Other than that, we use the AmEx BCP, Amazon Card, Target Card, Discover, and a 2% card as the catch-all.

Nummerkins
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Nummerkins » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Alliant Visa Signature card. 3% cashback on all purchases for the first year. 2.5% thereafter with a $59 annual fee. If you spend over $11,800 a year then it beats a regular 2% card.

revert
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by revert » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm
I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, I don't have it but am considering it:
Uber Credit Card

4% on dining (bars, restaurants, uberEats)
3% on travel (hotel, airfare)
2% on online purchases (including uber)
1% on everything else

$100 signup bonus after spending 500 in first 3 months
This one is great, especially since it has no annual fee - probably 70% of total dollars I charge in a given year end up in dining or travel (the other ~30% I put on the USAA Limitless 2.5%).

The $50 credit for streaming services and cellphone insurance are also nice little perks.

need403bhelp
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm
nolesrule wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am
I dropped mine when earlier this year when the fee went to $95 (and announced that gift card purchases would no longer be rewarded). I believe they still waive the fee the first year. I switched to the no fee everyday version of the card as grocery purchases without any purchases of discounted gift cards would leave me paying the fee and being well short of the $6000 maximum. When I first signed up with BCP, there was no $6000 cap on groceries.
You're talking about the Blue Cash Preferred? Because that has not been my experience with gift cards purchased at a grocery store. Shows up as "Groceries" in the purchase category, on the statement and the rewards calculation totals all match up.
Yes, Blue Cash Preferred. For several years I had used it for gift cards purchased at the grocery to fill up my $6000 6% rebate allotment. Just prior to my annual fee being bumped up and charged I received a change in terms and conditions stating that gift cards purchases would any longer be allowed under the rebates. I decided to drop the card rather than fool with them since it would not be any big deal for them to peruse each purchase for GCs. I did acquire the BCE, Blue Cash Everyday card, but have not used it for GC purchases.
Interesting. I reviewed my Rewards history for the entire year (so far). The online purchase activity, statements and rewards calculations and actual reward activity all matched the category breakdowns, and that includes many hundreds of dollars in gift cards purchased.

I'll have to see what shows up in the next reward accrual, as we just purchased $1200 in gift cards prior to the previous statement period closing. The calculation for those will appear on my next statement at the end of the month.
I purchase gift cards on mine all the time. I check the statement each month and they always count as groceries, even this past month. Could it change? Sure, but I will worry about it then and get my prorated annual fee refund. I plan on trying retention to see about getting the $95 fee lowered. If the grocery store doesn’t provide level 3 data, they also have no way to know.
My grocery store does provide level 3 data (or at least has in the past) and my gift cards on BCP get 6% cash back. I actually track BCP cash back in a spreadsheet and calculate amount earned annually after annual fee vs 3% BCE for groceries and 2% double cash for vgc spend taking into account activation fees. You can also do things like amazon gift cards which have no fee.

Btw target red card has debit version that you link to bank account - 5% back at target with no hard credit pull/credit inquiry.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:36 am

Nummerkins wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm
Alliant Visa Signature card. 3% cashback on all purchases for the first year. 2.5% thereafter with a $59 annual fee. If you spend over $11,800 a year then it beats a regular 2% card.
I've been considering this one. I've read that they are rather conservative in their approval process, although I'm not a churner so that shouldn't be an issue.

snowox
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by snowox » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm
snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm
shariq1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm
snowox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm
This might seem like a dumb question but what does rotating categories mean? seems self explanatory but that would make it a pain in the butt if I am understanding it right.
The categories (Restaurants, Wholesale clubs, gas, etc) rotate every month/quarter depending on the card. You can get 5% back on that specific category during the specified time period.

Thats what i thought , bought how is that communicated to you. Is there a chart or? per month /quarter.
There is a chart like this:

Image

You will get an email around 3 weeks before the end of the current quarter reminding you to sign up for the following quarter. You can usually sign up directly from he email.

It’s annoying but lucrative.



awesome thanks!

User avatar
TNL
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by TNL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 am

My current lineup:

Costco Visa for 4% on gas (any gas station; not just Costco)
Costco Visa for 3% on restaurants and travel (I use mostly for hotel)
Costco Visa for 2% on warehouse purchases
Fidelity Visa for 2% cashback everywhere else (Costco only offers 1% on anything except the above)

I clear about $500 a year in cash back.

I also have the Delta Platinum Amex which I use for the first 25K of spending every year so I can qualify for Medallion status. This comes with a free companion airfare which I used for my son and I to fly from SLC-IAH in May this year for a cruise. Son's ticket was free (I only had to pay the taxes of about $20) so this saved about $415. I also racked up about 50K miles on the card (worth $500).

algorithm
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:53 am

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Post by algorithm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 am

These are some of the best cash back credit cards:

UBER visa 4% cash back on restaurants
Costco visa 4% cash back on gas and 3% on travel
Amazon visa 5% cash back on amazon.com and whole food markets
Discover it card 5% cash back on rotating categories
Chase freedom 5% cash back on rotating categories
Amex blue cash 3% cash back on groceries
US cash plus card 5% cash back on 2 categories you choose per quarter.
Fidelity visa 2% cash back on all purchases

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/maxi ... dit-cards/

Post Reply