Done gone and did it [Retire]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Done gone and did it [Retire]

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I was clicking some stuff on the Megacorp web site and next thing you know I've submitted a retirement notice for January 31, 2018. :)

Getting set up for hand-off of duties and whatnot over the coming weeks. A new chapter.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Done gone and did it

Post by Sandtrap »

:sharebeer
congratulations and best wishes
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Earl:

Congratulations for making the big decision to retire!

I made the same decision at age 57 with apprehension. It turned out to be one of my better decisions (I've made many bad ones).

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Congrats, Earl!

We exited at end of July (at 57/56), so still in newlywed phase ourselves.

Given the amount of planning/thinking you seem to have done (from my remembrance of prior posts), you should be good to go.

Enjoy!
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
Watty

Post by Watty »

Congradualtions!

At some, but not all companies, your healthcare benefits continue through the end of the month of when your last day is. If possible you might want to make the effective date February 1st to get that paid through the end of February.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Congratulations!
For your megacorp - is there any difference between resigning and retiring? Just curious.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am I was clicking some stuff on the Megacorp web site and next thing you know I've submitted a retirement notice for January 31, 2018. :)

Getting set up for hand-off of duties and whatnot over the coming weeks. A new chapter.
Earl Lemongrab,

I hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone intimate that they retired by accident. :D Congrats though :beer
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am I was clicking some stuff on the Megacorp web site and next thing you know I've submitted a retirement notice for January 31, 2018. :)

Congratulations! and best of luck.
You beat me to it by a few days, my last day is Feb 9th
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Come on in, the water is fine!

Congratulations!!
:beer
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Watty wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 am Congradualtions!

At some, but not all companies, your healthcare benefits continue through the end of the month of when your last day is. If possible you might want to make the effective date February 1st to get that paid through the end of February.
Yes, but pension payments must begin on the first of the month following termination. So if I waited until Feb 1, I'd miss a month of pension, and that's larger than an insurance payment.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 am Congratulations!
For your megacorp - is there any difference between resigning and retiring? Just curious.
Not much. You have to retire to get pension benefits. Everything else is the same.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm I hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.
As we don't get retiree health coverage (other than COBRA of course) that's not a factor. Megacorp doesn't work that way at any rate. Retirement is a common and celebrated event.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 pm I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone intimate that they retired by accident. :D Congrats though :beer
My small joke. I did it about 15 minutes before my year-end performance review. As I went in, the Boss said, "Something you want to tell me?" As I figured, the system sent him an email.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Earl Lemongrab,

I hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.

KlangFool
There's got to be a back story on this. Otherwise I would think the company is ripe for a lawsuit.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm
KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm I hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.
As we don't get retiree health coverage (other than COBRA of course) that's not a factor. Megacorp doesn't work that way at any rate. Retirement is a common and celebrated event.
Earl Lemongrab,

This event just happened right before Thanksgiving. And, it is a megacorp.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I have to finalize my pension benefit. The choices are:

Lump sum: $534,707.76
Single Life Annuity: $3,376.15

I'm single, so no beneficiary option. Running SPIA calculators, they come up with about $2500/month for that lump. I think the annuity makes the most sense. I have a substantial "lump sum" in the form of my investments. Building around the monthly pension makes sense to me.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:34 pm This event just happened right before Thanksgiving. And, it is a megacorp.
I didn't intend to express doubt. I'd take a layoff if I could get it. That would be better for me. After all, I don't get any severance or unemployment.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Carefreeap wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Earl Lemongrab,

KlangFool
There's got to be a back story on this. Otherwise I would think the company is ripe for a lawsuit.
Carefreeap,

Yes, the person is engaging a lawyer to pursue this. But, she could avoid all this problem by not giving a 2 months notice. She was being careless and nice.

KlangFool
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Congratulations.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:36 pm
KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:34 pm This event just happened right before Thanksgiving. And, it is a megacorp.
I didn't intend to express doubt. I'd take a layoff if I could get it. That would be better for me. After all, I don't get any severance or unemployment.
Earl Lemongrab,

She was laid off before the end of the year. Hence, she lose her bonus, 401K matching contribution plus retiree's health benefits.

KlangFool
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Earl Lemongrab,

She was laid off before the end of the year. Hence, she lose her bonus, 401K matching contribution plus retiree's health benefits.

KlangFool
This seems retaliatory. If she gave written notice I would think she's got a good case.

My DH gave about 3 months notice. Company reorganized his position so that hurt his ego but at least he kept his pay and other benefits.

When to give notice is so dependent on the situation.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm I have to finalize my pension benefit. The choices are:

I'm single, so no beneficiary option. Running SPIA calculators, they come up with about $2500/month for that lump. I think the annuity makes the most sense. I have a substantial "lump sum" in the form of my investments. Building around the monthly pension makes sense to me.
The only missing piece of information is how long you will live for? :wink:
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Congratulations! :sharebeer
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Carefreeap wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm
KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Earl Lemongrab,

KlangFool
This seems retaliatory. If she gave written notice I would think she's got a good case.

My DH gave about 3 months notice. Company reorganized his position so that hurt his ego but at least he kept his pay and other benefits.

When to give notice is so dependent on the situation.
Carefreeap,

1) This person had worked for this employer for 10+ years. She was being nice. She paid for her naiveness.

2) Someone else will retire from this employer next year. She will only give 2 weeks' notice.

KlangFool
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Earl Lemongrab,

KlangFool
Carefreeap,

Yes, the person is engaging a lawyer to pursue this. But, she could avoid all this problem by not giving a 2 months notice. She was being careless and nice.

KlangFool
However, she is now eligible for unemployment. Win for her in that regard (obviously may not offset other losses).
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Okay "oldcomputerguy: you're gonna have to explain this one:

Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Very funny, but I no get!!
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

TheHouse7 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm I have to finalize my pension benefit. The choices are:

The only missing piece of information is how long you will live for? :wink:
Yes, that is always the question.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm
KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Earl Lemongrab,

KlangFool
Carefreeap,

KlangFool
However, she is now eligible for unemployment. Win for her in that regard (obviously may not offset other losses).
runner3081,

She is 50+. The retiree's health benefit will make or break her early retirement budget.

KlangFool
J295

Post by J295 »

OP ....fantastic!
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

Congratulations - life's too short anyway. I can only wish you the life expectancy and spirit of John Bogle, Warren Buffet, Charie Munger and Taylor Larimore.

According to grok87's tagline "...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them- Jane Austen", a SPIA would make sense :)
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

one BH has 4 mil in VT indexed and one late start at 40 with zero saving, who should worry about retirement the most?
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Earl,
Thank you for the help in the past, and good luck in retirement. I wish you success in your secondary career of moving assets around betwixt brokerages. :beer
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Congratulations you lucky lemon!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

No more One More Years?
Helvetica

Post by Helvetica »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pmI hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.
Good on your friend for getting a lawyer. Section 510 of ERISA makes it "unlawful for any person to discharge, fine, suspend, expel, discipline, or discriminate against a participant or beneficiary ... for the purpose of interfering with the attainment of any right to which such participant may become entitled under the plan, this subchapter, or the Welfare and Pension Plans Disclosure Act."
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

One thing I had been kicking around with the pension situation is ACA. Right now, with a 40k pension and dividends off the taxable investments, I wouldn't qualify for any subsidy. However, I'm not that worried about it. I'll be taking COBRA to start and with the uncertainty around the whole thing it's hard to say what the situation with be in a year or so.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Helvetica wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm
KlangFool wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pmI hope it works out for you. My friend's co-worker told her employer that she is quitting in 2 months' time. The employer laid her off immediately so that she cannot qualifies for retiree's health benefit.
Good on your friend for getting a lawyer. Section 510 of ERISA makes it "unlawful for any person to discharge, fine, suspend, expel, discipline, or discriminate against a participant or beneficiary ... for the purpose of interfering with the attainment of any right to which such participant may become entitled under the plan, this subchapter, or the Welfare and Pension Plans Disclosure Act."
Thanks.

KlangFool
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Good to see an active poster retiring so he can devote more time to help other folks. Earl, be sure to let us know which pension benefit option you selected. I would go the annuity route if the company is solid.

TravelforFun
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Congratulations!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Shucks, I thought this was going to be another Bitcoin thread. Congrats.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Shikoku

Post by Shikoku »

Earl,
Congratulations! Just a quick question: Is it possible for the life annuity providing company to go bankrupt?
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Congrats!
dreaming and working toward my own accidental sendoff.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Just a quick question: Is it possible for the life annuity providing company to go bankrupt?
Each state in the U.S. has a Guarantee Association to protect against an insurance company going bankrupt:

Guarantee Associations

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Shikoku

Post by Shikoku »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm
Just a quick question: Is it possible for the life annuity providing company to go bankrupt?
Each state in the U.S. has a Guarantee Association to protect against an insurance company going bankrupt:

Guarantee Associations

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you, Taylor. I am always learning!

Edit: It appears that the general guaranty for annuity is for up to $250K. Earl's state might have a different limit but Earl can walk away with $534K now.
Last edited by Shikoku on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Congratulations.

And since I think you're in my state, I'll be looking forward to hearing how the post-COBRA insurance search goes. We'll be heading down that path soon.

It is nice to have the pension income, future SS, and investments. But that first step....
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Congrats Earl!

Every day that ticks off the calendar is one LESS you have to live.

Make the most of the ones remaining.

Best wishes

Don
TG2

Post by TG2 »

260chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm Okay "oldcomputerguy: you're gonna have to explain this one:

Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Very funny, but I no get!!
It's 24 pounds.

:D
Theseus

Re: Done gone and did it [Retire]

Post by Theseus »

Congratulations!! Best way to start 2018.

Have you thought about what will you do with all the time? Or you will use that time to figure out what to do? :D
DrGoogle2017

Re: Done gone and did it [Retire]

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Congrats! It’s a great feeling.