Working in a secure area

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MikeZ

Working in a secure area

Post by MikeZ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:25 pm

So to date I've had a lot of flexability in my work so I could take personal phone calls, use my smartphone, use the Internet to take care of personal business, etc. So long as I got my work done. I may change roles to working in a secure area for government work. From my understanding I will not be allowed to take a phone in. I was just wondering what people who worked in these spaces thought of there ability to take care of personal business while at work?

brokendirtdart

Re: Working in a secure area

Post by brokendirtdart » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I only occasionally have to enter secure areas or be there for extended periods of time.

In some of the secure areas I have worked in, you will secure your cell phone in a locker outside and be able to access it during meals or the occasional break. There will generally be a way for family to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency, but family will often need to be coached on what an actual emergency is.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I agree most do not know what an emergency is. The concept of "personal business" has evolved with smart phones. I am an employer and we require employees to leave their phones in their locker because of prior abuse and immaturity. Constant texting and looking at that facetalk thing like zombies. It's an addiction these days.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Nobody who works in a SCIF is so micro-managed they can't handle personal stuff.

Why would you post this question on this forum? Ask around at work where people have actual security clearances.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:24 pm

You can take care of personal business if you need to. You just can't bring personal electronic devices in to work with you. You also have to evaluate what personal business has to be taken care of during work hours.

It's hard for a lot of folks to wrap their head around "emergency" or "necessary" or "time critical." Not just families, but employees too.

I opine that it's really quite nice to not have personal cell phones at work, even if they're just in the parking lot in your car.

Just about every space has a phone in it, if necessary. The spaces that don't have landline phones you don't spend that much time in, I guarantee.

This isn't something to fret about.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Worked in a SCIF for many years. In my case I also had an office outside the SCIF with a computer and a phone. Even without an outside office, there will be a place right outside the door of the SCIF where your cell phone can be kept and reached quickly. Also, there are generally landlines that can be used in an "emergency." It's not like you're going to be on a desert island, it's a room with a door you can use to go in and out as you need to.

sadie wess

Post by sadie wess » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am

toofache32 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm
I agree most do not know what an emergency is. The concept of "personal business" has evolved with smart phones. I am an employer and we require employees to leave their phones in their locker because of prior abuse and immaturity. Constant texting and looking at that facetalk thing like zombies. It's an addiction these days.
+10

I am in complete agreement with you and it sounds like you are an employer that is fair and professional. I know many people who are allowed to have their cell phones at their desks and they are sharing confidential information and goofing off! Many are state employees with strong unions. Not to denigrate the many good state employees, but in the business world, many would be fired.