Former Employer refusing to contribute earned Wellness Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
topcatin

Former Employer refusing to contribute earned Wellness Rewards

Post by topcatin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi,

I was laid off by my employer and was employed till Sept 14th. My spouse is on my plan and she had finished her Wellness Rewards assessment in April of this year and submitted the annual physical results online on Sept 10th. The online submission is required to get a $500 contribution to our HSA. The Wellness Rewards folks said we have earned the reward and even when we login it showed that we had earned the $500. They also mentioned that it will take 4-6 weeks for the contribution to show up on our HSA account even though my last day of work was Sept 14th. I waited for 4-6 weeks and didn't see the credit for $500. I have showed my employer the proof on the site that it shows that I have earned the $500 but they came back and said that we should be actively enrolled in their plan to get the $500 and since I am no longer employed, I will not be getting the $500.

Is this even legal? I was planning to complain to the Department of Labor or/and write a letter to the state Attorney General.
Anybody faced this issue?

Thanks!

marti038

Re: Former Employer refusing to contribute earned Wellness Rewards

Post by marti038 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Depends on the program, but a previous employer of mine would only make the HSA contribution at the end of a calendar year IF you were still employed AND actively enrolled in a company sponsored plan. I was laid off by them in November of 2015 and never got the money even though I had "earned" the maximum rewards for the year.

It's not a wage, it's a benefit. My guess is they can do that if they want, but I'm not a lawyer.

susa

Post by susa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am

American Express used to do that to their ex-employee Wellness Rewards and their attitude when queried by their former employees was summarized as ..Go pound some Sand....

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Small claims court?

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Have your read through the fine print. Our program explicitly states that you must be employed at the time of disbursement. It is explicit, but it is in the fine print.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Forget it. Are you going to tick off a former employer over $500?

sco

Post by sco » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 am

Yeah, Good Luck