Moved But Which State to File In?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jimcrawford01

Moved But Which State to File In?

Post by jimcrawford01 »

I moved from NH to OR in 2017. I sold NH residence in JUL17 and closed on OR residence in AUG.
I assumed that since I was a NH resident for a majority of the year, I would file only in NH for 2017.
After researching the documents for both states, it appears that both states require me to file.
I am retired and have NO earned income. Only SS and investment income. I am a DIYer and do not use a tax pro.

What are the rules?

Being required to file in both states seems unfair.
furwut

Re: Moved But Which State to File In?

Post by furwut »

You probably will file a part time return for both states.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Each state will have its own rules on how to file part years. If you look in the instruction book that each state provides or on their respective web site it will probably lead you to the answer.

I regularly get people who have moved from Delaware to Maryland in the middle of the year and we file part year returns for each state. So they end up filing Fed+MD+DE; but this is also true for people who live in MD the full year and work in DE - they file a full return for MD and a non-resident return for DE.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

furwut wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:43 pm You probably will file a part time return for both states.
AND, both SS income and investment income are taxable.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MP123

Post by MP123 »

It sounds as if you were a part year resident in both states and would need to file a part year return in each for 2017. It's more work but probably won't increase your taxes that much since you'll be splitting your income between them.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

jimcrawford01 wrote:What are the rules?
In New Hampshire you file the regular return as a part-year resident and will pay taxes on a pro-rated share of interest/dividends (see here).

In Oregon you file a Part-year resident return OR-40-P (see here for 2016 forms and instructions). You will pay taxes on a pro-rated share of income.
Topic Author
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Thanks for the responses.