Medicare Supplemental Plan F High Deductible

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Prudence

Medicare Supplemental Plan F High Deductible

Post by Prudence » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm

I live in Maryland and a few companies are offering this plan in 2018. I think this plan is the best for me because of the significantly lower premium and I can afford the high deductible ($2,200 in 2017; 2018 amount not announced yet). However, I have this fear that the plan may go away in my state in a future year and that I would be subject to medical underwriting and potentially a very high premium to switch to another plan. If I do not choose this plan now, I would enroll in Plan G. Is there any reason or evidence that I should I be more concerned about the viability of Plan F HD than any other plan?

jebmke

Re: Medicare Supplemental Plan F High Deductible

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Prudence wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm
If I do not choose this plan now, I would enroll in Plan G. Is there any reason or evidence that I should I be more concerned about the viability of Plan F HD than any other plan?
If you choose Plan F HD and it becomes unavailable, I believe that is a qualifying event for Guaranteed Issue in Maryland (I also live in MD). You could switch to G then.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Prudence wrote:
If I do not choose this plan now, I would enroll in Plan G. Is there any reason or evidence that I should I be more concerned about the viability of Plan F HD than any other plan?
If you choose Plan F HD and it becomes unavailable, I believe that is a qualifying event for Guaranteed Issue in Maryland (I also live in MD). You could switch to G then.
Thank you. Do you know where I can find the reference (Medicare regs? Maryland regs?). If it qualifies for Guaranteed Issue, how would the premium be determined (medical underwriting?)?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Prudence wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm
jebmke wrote:
Prudence wrote:
Thank you. Do you know where I can find the reference (Medicare regs? Maryland regs?). If it qualifies for Guaranteed Issue, how would the premium be determined (medical underwriting?)?
I would start with your nearest SHIP office. They might be able to help. I don't know if there would be underwriting or whether you would just fall into the age-attained group rating.

http://www.aging.maryland.gov/Pages/Sta ... ogram.aspx

There may be something on the Insurance Admin site; I've only been on there a couple of times and didn't have a lot of success but it is worth a look.

http://insurance.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Both plan Fs are not going to be offered to new enrollees after 2020. People on plan F can keep it as long as some insurance company is offering it in their state. If your carrier drops the insurance, you can go to a different plan.

For knowledgeable info in Maryland, contact your local State Health Insurance Program office. You can find the phone number on page 5 http://insurance.maryland.gov/Consumer/ ... -Guide.pdf

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm

I would just go with F or G and not play around with high deductible plans. Who needs all those bills?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm
I would just go with F or G and not play around with high deductible plans. Who needs all those bills?
Well, you either pay a higher premium or a lower premium and a deductible. If you are healthy though, maybe you don't pay the deductible and save some scratch.

Gill

Post by Gill » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm

My feelings about the high deductible plan align with those of the OP. I have been on that plan for about ten years and would estimate I’ve saved at least $50,000 over that period for DW and me. Not a bad savings for the very slight inconvenience of using bill pay to shoot off a few small copay checks.
Gill

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm

When Plan F high-deductible goes away in 2020, there will be a Plan G high-deductible.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am

Plan F-HD is not going away. Just regular plan F. The gov't wants everyone the pay a little so no pay 100% plans.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 am

clemrick wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm
Both plan Fs are not going to be offered to new enrollees after 2020. People on plan F can keep it as long as some insurance company is offering it in their state. If your carrier drops the insurance, you can go to a different plan.

For knowledgeable info in Maryland, contact your local State Health Insurance Program office. You can find the phone number on page 5 http://insurance.maryland.gov/Consumer/ ... -Guide.pdf
How do you know both Plan Fs will be closed after 2020?

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm
When Plan F high-deductible goes away in 2020, there will be a Plan G high-deductible.
How do you know this?

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

Gill wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm
My feelings about the high deductible plan align with those of the OP. I have been on that plan for about ten years and would estimate I’ve saved at least $50,000 over that period for DW and me. Not a bad savings for the very slight inconvenience of using bill pay to shoot off a few small copay checks.
Gill
I agree. I have been on Plan F in 2016 and 2017 and I spend some time now ensuring the bills/reports are correct and calling Medicare and the doctors offices about ineligible expenses and other issues. I kind of like staying on top of it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 pm

I removed an off-topic comment and reply related to a proposed regulation (draft) from the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners). The post also exceeded fair-use of copyrighted material.

We only permit discussions on proposed regulations when they are published for public comment. A detailed explanation is provided in this post: Re: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Prudence wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am
Gill wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm
Gill
I agree. I have been on Plan F in 2016 and 2017 and I spend some time now ensuring the bills/reports are correct and calling Medicare and the doctors offices about ineligible expenses and other issues. I kind of like staying on top of it.
What concerns me about plans where I need to deal with billing errors, etc. is not so much the trouble for me to stay on top of it, but the trouble for the loved one who needs to manage my affairs if and when I am no longer able to manage my own affairs.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 pm
What concerns me about plans where I need to deal with billing errors, etc. is not so much the trouble for me to stay on top of it, but the trouble for the loved one who needs to manage my affairs if and when I am no longer able to manage my own affairs.
That is my thinking - and also the reason I am draining my HSA as I incur costs. I start Medicare in January. The difference between G and F-HD is about $1,200 per year for premium here. I think the deductible is $2,200 so there is some chance I could lose money but even if not, it isn't a huge thing. I know I wouldn't save the full $1,200.

I see a lot of widows/widowers and spouses of impaired people at TaxAide. The "survivor" has a lot to deal with. I don't want to leave this for someone else to deal with. They will have enough other stuff to deal with.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Prudence wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 am
clemrick wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

How do you know both Plan Fs will be closed after 2020?
I learned about it in SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Programs) training. There are articles you can google. I see that Plan C is also going away. People who already have those plans will be able to retain them, but the premiums will probably go up over time as people "die out" of the plans and there are fewer and fewer participants.

whyamihere

Post by whyamihere » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:39 pm

jebmke wrote:
Prudence wrote:
Be careful here. The guaranteed issue right does not extend to Plan G. You will have a guaranteed issue into Plan F if you lose the high-deductible. Check out the guide from CMS, it doesn't list every plan as an available option. There is also a 63 day window to apply under the guaranteed issue right.
--------------------------------------------------------- | caveat lector

whyamihere

Post by whyamihere » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:42 pm

btenny wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am
Plan F-HD is not going away. Just regular plan F. The gov't wants everyone the pay a little so no pay 100% plans.
It isn't going away for anyone who has an Plan F now. They can keep coverage and continue to buy Plan F from other carriers (if offered by the carrier) but _new_ beneficiaries of Medicare cannot buy it once it is discontinued in 2020.

I won't get into the subject of increasing premiums due to a shrinking risk pool...
--------------------------------------------------------- | caveat lector