Collection agency calls intended for another person:

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Nowizard

Collection agency calls intended for another person:

Post by Nowizard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 am

Nine years ago, we moved to a new home and obtained a different number for our land line. Soon thereafter, we began to receive calls from collection agencies attempting to locate a woman owing money. These calls have continued periodically over the years. On one occasion when using our credit card at Sear's, when giving our telephone number, this woman's name came up. I have not been able to locate this person, only her ex-husband who was not surprised. There have been no adverse notations on our credit reports, but we have twice had fraud alerts to occur on credit cards when fraudulent use was attempted. There is no proof that these two events are related. Today, I saw this woman's name, it is unusual, in real estate listings for sold property. I will write her a letter and indicate apology of she is not the culprit.

The question is this: Is there a central agency I could notify of this woman's recent location? When I do answer collection calls and inform them of the above, we do not seem to receive additional calls from that agency. Though we have recently eliminated our land line, I would like to aid collection agencies in locating this woman. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tim

livesoft

Re: Collection agency calls intended for another person:

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 am

I agree with livesoft. Helping collection agencies track down this woman is not your job. If they aren't smart enough to discover the clues you think you have, why should you help them?

By the way, I see no reason to believe the fraud alerts on your credit cards have any connection as you suggest yourself.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

I suggest you change your phone number and forget this.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (collection agency).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

they will never stop calling you. Change your number or screen your calls.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am

I agree with all of the above. Move on. I would definitely not contact the person or get involved in it. Frankly I am not even sure why you would consider this or what you think you might get out of it.

The credit card fraud has nothing to do with your phone number formerly belonging to someone that doesn't pay all her bills. I can all but guarantee that.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am

The person whose name you saw probably gets 10 times as many calls every year than you ever have about the deadbeat who shares the same name. It is almost certainly not the same person, even if the name is distinctive. So leave the individual alone. Debt collectors have plenty of tools to find the people they are looking for, you are a rank amateur.

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am

Changing your number is a crap shoot. Your new number is almost always someone else's old number.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am

8foot7 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am
they will never stop calling you. Change your number or screen your calls.
When we have notified the collection agency that the person is not at this address, or number, the calls did stop. Then, a year later, another agency called, they said they just got that account. Then the calls stopped again. YMMV.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am

There is no central agency and really nothing you can do about this. I share a name with a deadbeat who lives in California. I live on the opposite side of the country and have never shared an address or phone number with this person. Nevertheless I've been receiving collection calls about the person literally my entire adult life.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

I feel your pain, we have been getting calls each week for Dan BXXXXXXXX trying to find where he is. We tell them he no longer has this number, these folks are just robots as the same people keep calling. I have begun to recognize their voices. Ours is a business line, we also have an 800 number that was off by one digit from Obama for America and Hillary for America, there were a lot of people that typed in our number by mistake, lots. So it could always be worse for you, as I know 2020 is coming.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 am

1. Stay out of it.

2. If/when getting calls - reply that you are not that person, have no connection to that person - and rquest they not call again.

3. Collection agencies, in my experience, are almost always good at finding folks. If you "found" her, seems like they can.

afan

Post by afan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Another vote for staying out of it. Just because a collection agency has this person's name does not mean she owes anyone any money. The industry is hardly exacting in the precision with which it identifies targets. It is laudable that you want to assist justice by helping to fund a deadbeat. But you have no way of knowing whether helping to harras this person is furthering justice.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 pm

afan wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm
Another vote for staying out of it. Just because a collection agency has this person's name does not mean she owes anyone any money. The industry is hardly exacting in the precision with which it identifies targets. It is laudable that you want to assist justice by helping to fund a deadbeat. But you have no way of knowing whether helping to harras this person is furthering justice.
Very well stated, in my opinion...

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Stay out of it. As strange as it sounds by attempting to help them they may think you are hiding the idiot and will keep hounding you!

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't understand the impulse to help the collection agencies.

If you don't have the landline anymore, then move on.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:59 pm

blevine wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am
I suggest you change your phone number and forget this.
Had a business phone line that previously belonged to a world class deadbeat family. We answered all incoming calls and slowly got the volume down until they finally stopped. The target name was off shore and totally unpronounceable; even the callers stumbled over the name and our response would be 'do I sound like I might be agfdJKL?' Patiently explained to the callers about their out of date info and eventually our number dropped off their lists.
Now the challenge is phishing calls seeking someone with OUR family name. They are calling every listed "Jones" in the US and we tell them that there is no 'Angelique' or 'Dirk' Jones at this number. These calls may never stop and are usually blocked...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Very interesting responses that are all quite similar, but very surprising. Fraud affects the prices we pay for things, as does not paying one's bills.

Tim

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Unless caller ID is showing a number that you know is someone you wish to speak with, why are you even answering the phone?
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:56 pm
Very interesting responses that are all quite similar, but very surprising. Fraud affects the prices we pay for things, as does not paying one's bills.

Tim
That may be, but the collection agency is not part of the solution. If I default on my Chase Visa, Chase writes it off as bad debt and sells the account to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar (and from there to multiple other collection agencies farther down the food chain). If I eventually settle with the bottom feeder collection agency, does that make Chase whole? Does that restore Chase’s profit margin and hold down costs for you and others? Of course not, they’ve already written off the loss. In economic terms, the “original sin” of defaulting on the credit card is not absolved by making “atonement” to a third party.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 pm

RudyS wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am
When we have notified the collection agency that the person is not at this address, or number, the calls did stop. Then, a year later, another agency called, they said they just got that account. Then the calls stopped again. YMMV.
+1. We had this happen. Every time I would answer the phone and tell them I have no connection to the person who used the number previously. It took a while, but eventually the calls did stop.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 pm

I had a similar problem when I got my current cell number a dozen years ago. Nicole owed money to everyone in town. Over the course of about 2 months, I was able to whittle the calls down to one collection agency by just answering the phone and explaining that Nicole didn't have this number anymore. After about six months of daily robocalls from a single number (this was before you could just block numbers), I did a reverse lookup of the number, found out what company it was. It was an agency that specialized in very hard to collect debt that had already been through at least one other collection agency. I called them on their regular business number instead of the number they give to deadbeats, and vented about my level of annoyance. They took my info. Nothing happened for about six weeks, but one day the calls just stopped, and I haven't had a collection call from anyone since. About once a year, I still get a call from a friend or family member who is looking for Nicole, but that's a different story.

As far as what to do about this particular situation, ignore it. It's not your game. Debt collectors are perfectly capable of searching public records to find people themselves. They don't need your help. It's also possible that the unusual name is the woman's daughter or cousin.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

nolesrule wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am
Changing your number is a crap shoot. Your new number is almost always someone else's old number.
That's why I only buy new phone numbers, never used or "refurbished." The quality is just not the same.

(Yes, I'm just joking. :P )

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:12 pm

A couple years ago, some collection agency was leaving messages for us about some woman with a name that was somewhat similar to my wife's. They wanted us to call them. I did not respond to them. I filed a complaint with the PA Office of Consumer Protection. Received a letter from the agency saying they would leave us alone; stopped short of an apology. We never said a word to them.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm
Unless caller ID is showing a number that you know is someone you wish to speak with, why are you even answering the phone?
For us, sometimes the ID mimics familiar or medical/healthcare calls (older retirees, always expecting a doc or some health provider's call). Also curious about the ones that show my ID and number as the incoming call, someday might answer to see what I have to say to myself :mrgreen:. If they do not leave a message they go on the call block list!
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Why in the world would you even bother writing her or contacting her ex-husband? A simple explanation of "we got this number when we moved and we have no idea who that person is" to Sears and the others would have been sufficient.

That's all I had to do under similar circumstances when I got a number that was previously used by someone who skipped out on her bills. And when it became a hassle to deal with those calls, I called up the phone company and requested a change of number due to the large number of spam calls still coming in for the prior owner of the number. It was like $20 and well worth it to get a number that didn't have such issues.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 pm

nolesrule wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am
When I called to change my number, I was given six numbers to choose from. I focused on the three with older prefixes (more likely to have been given up due to an established person moving or passing away). The phone rep let me Google them and I chose the one with the fewest reverse lookup hits. Never had an issue with that number, other than the occasional misdial from a school looking for a parent with a similar number.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Wrong number calls by a 3rd party collection agency are always a fdcpa violation. I would sue each one and collect a grand plus. If they are calling a cell phone, that can violate the tcpa as well. Stack on another $1500 per call.

Instead if complaining about stuff I would make some lemonade from what life is giving you.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 am

totallystudly wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 pm
Wrong number calls by a 3rd party collection agency are always a fdcpa violation. I would sue each one and collect a grand plus. If they are calling a cell phone, that can violate the tcpa as well. Stack on another $1500 per call.

Instead if complaining about stuff I would make some lemonade from what life is giving you.
yes, some people even go get extra burner phones to gather more illegal telemarketer calls. Apparently, you can make decent money suing telemarketers as a hobby:

http://debanked.com/2016/10/smile-dial- ... nightmare/

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Numerous times, I have told the collection agencies that the person they are calling for is dead and how dare they call. Works every time.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 pm
Numerous times, I have told the collection agencies that the person they are calling for is dead and how dare they call. Works every time.
I would like to do that -- BUT (for some reason I do not understand) ,my wife goes ballistic - that this would be terrible, etc.

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Nowizard wrote:

Tim
I'm not sure how you can be so sure fraud is involved. As others have mentioned, the collection agencies may not have the right debt, the right person, the debt may not be collectible (there is a time limit among other issues). The ex-husband is certainly not a neutral party. These are all good reasons for you to not get involved.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 am
Nine years ago, we moved to a new home and obtained a different number for our land line. Soon thereafter, we began to receive calls from collection agencies attempting to locate a woman owing money. These calls have continued periodically over the years.

<snip>

Today, I saw this woman's name, it is unusual, in real estate listings for sold property. I will write her a letter and indicate apology of she is not the culprit.
Do you see the humor in the fact that, in response to unsolicited telephone calls chasing a debt that you do not owe, you're going to send an unsolicited letter to someone who, for all you know, doesn't owe it either?

Debt collection is a pretty shady industry, and debts are often resold numerous times, even after they've been challenged and proven not owed by the victim of the debt collectors. Please do not volunteer your time or efforts to enlarge the web unless you have actually verified that the debt is valid.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm
Nowizard wrote:

Tim
That may be, but the collection agency is not part of the solution. If I default on my Chase Visa, Chase writes it off as bad debt and sells the account to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar (and from there to multiple other collection agencies farther down the food chain). If I eventually settle with the bottom feeder collection agency, does that make Chase whole? Does that restore Chase’s profit margin and hold down costs for you and others? Of course not, they’ve already written off the loss. In economic terms, the “original sin” of defaulting on the credit card is not absolved by making “atonement” to a third party.
Thank you for the explanation, I never thought of it that way.

Unless the OP just likes playing Dick Tracy (Helping collection agencies find the person? Writing the person letters? Really?), I see no point to continuing with this.

Unless he takes totallystudly's advice and sues these callers :P

Hmm, I think *I* should take totallystudly's advice... :greedy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am

yes, some people even go get extra burner phones to gather more illegal telemarketer calls.

I didn't say all that and generally it isn't necessary to get more calls than you can possibly handle.

solobuildingblogs

Post by solobuildingblogs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Agree completely with totallystudly:

https://s.ai/presentations/tcpa.pdf

You can google “Tcpa class actions” and find sample pleadings and interrogatories (in case if the case goes to discovery, which is when you depose/ ask the other party questions before trial). Cut and paste and file in small claims, and don’t back down!

It’s just plain wrong for these companies to harass innocent folks like me.