The valet smashed my Tesla into a brick wall!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Archimedes

The valet smashed my Tesla into a brick wall!

Post by Archimedes »

I’m crying right now. We went to a charity benefit last night. Apparently the valet at the fancy venue didn’t know how to handle a high torque electric rocket. He drove my cherished Tesla Model S 90D into a brick wall, smashing the car and caving in part of the wall. It was nearly new with only 6,000 miles on the odometer.

The owner of the venue says his insurance company will call me on Monday, and “take care of everything.” The police came to the scene and wrote an incident report but refused to write a full police report as they said the owner of the venue is taking full responsibility.

I have a question about the compensation I am entitled to. The car is almost new and cost over 100k. For years I drove Honda’s, but after following boglehead principles of saving and investing for a few decades I have more than I will ever need. I have been working to change my habits, to be more extravagant, hence my purchase of this mind blowing, futuristic transportation appliance that makes me grin from ear to ear every time I pull away from a stoplight or merge onto a highway.

After last night’s charity gala, my happy face is a fading memory.

I post in the hope that others might share past experience. What might I be entitled to as compensation? Of course the car will be repaired and that will be covered by the venue’s insurance. But even after the repair, this serious accident will diminish the post-repair resale value of the car. That diminished value might be a couple thousand on a run of the mill vehicle, but likely significantly more substantial on this expensive Tesla. And while the repairs are ongoing, will I be entitled to rent a Tesla, or will I be driving around in a Chevy Sonic?

I have heard of a “diminished value claim” but also heard that reimbursement for this is uncertain. Has anyone successfully received compensation for the diminished value of a repaired vehicle?
LiveSimple

Re: The valet smashed my Tesla into a brick wall!

Post by LiveSimple »

may be a small claims court for the "Diminished Value Claim"
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
student

Post by student »

I recommend that you post at a Tesla forum. This thread has some info.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/m ... aim-advice
mouses

Post by mouses »

LiveSimple wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 am may be a small claims court for the "Diminished Value Claim"
Small claims courts usually have limits on the damages they will award, probably below the diminished value involved here.

I hope the OP took photos and notified his own insurance company.

No one was hurt. The car will apparently be repaired. (Although with damage that extensive I wonder if a case could be made for replacing it instead.) Things could be much worse.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Although this may sound grotesque to ask... was the valet OK? If so, at least you have a real-world test of Tesla's crash safety.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Some of the Best Advice My Mom ever gave me ,
"Can You Replace It?"
If so,stop fretting.
Remember,
It is stuff. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Archimedes, I don’t have any information for you, but boatloads of sympathy. That sucks so much! Get your insurance company involved.

At one of our restaurants that we go to often, I drop the family off, skip the “free” valet parking, and drive a half block or so to park myself. I have sometimes felt like a weenie for doing this.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
sambb

Post by sambb »

We had a family member with a tesla that had MINOR fender bender, and it took 6 months to even get the parts.
Please keep us updated on how long it takes to get parts. There are numerous posts on multiple forums about how cars languish for a long time waiting to be fixed. Would be nice to know if tesla has that part figured out. I have read that this is a major downside of tesla.
Sympathies about the car, this is one of the downsides of owning an expensive car. I have had several really nice cars, including exotics, and rarely have valets park them, because of this. It is a downside compared to honda. There is also a significant downside to owning any car that is super expensive - the fact that it is a tesla is no different than any other car - accidents can affect future value, and the financial impact is alot. With some of the exotics ive owned, an accident history would be bad for resale. So I would definitely file a diminshed value claim. in my experience with several expensive cars, The effect is much more than on a honda or even a 50k BMW or mercedes.

It is a decent reason to lease (and there are downsides to leasing), but that is a separate issue.
Last edited by sambb on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

There is often a state statute for Diminished value claims. This is most often involved in 3rd party claims like yours. Most 1st party claims do not have diminished value unless forced by state law. I would google "diminished value law for the state where the loss occurred. Diminished value will only come into play if the vehicle is repairable. If it is a total loss, I would have the value based on replacement less depreciation for 6000 miles(on a per mile basis). It will be hard for them to find a like kind and quality replacement for that vehicle due to the model and low miles.

Hope this helps, and I feel your pain.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Archimedes wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am I have more than I will ever need.
The Tesla forum will give you sympathy as that’s a major bummer indeed. But here, it’s not so big a deal—you have more than you need, and you already chose to buy a car that would depreciate rapidly compared to the Hondas you used to drive.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything .
beyou

Post by beyou »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:06 am Archimedes, I don’t have any information for you, but boatloads of sympathy. That sucks so much! Get your insurance company involved.

At one of our restaurants that we go to often, I drop the family off, skip the “free” valet parking, and drive a half block or so to park myself. I have sometimes felt like a weenie for doing this.
Me too, hate using valet parking, avoid it like the plague.
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am The things you own end up owning you. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything .
+1
Topic Author
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I am re-reading my post. This is definitely a first world problem. The valet was not injured. It’s just a car.

The practical question is compensation for diminished value. It is not important in the scheme of life, but I will Google the rules in my state.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Archimedes wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am I’m crying right now. We went to a charity benefit last night. Apparently the valet at the fancy venue didn’t know how to handle a high torque electric rocket. He drove my cherished Tesla Model S 90D into a brick wall, smashing the car and caving in part of the wall. It was nearly new with only 6,000 miles on the odometer.

The owner of the venue says his insurance company will call me on Monday, and “take care of everything.” The police came to the scene and wrote an incident report but refused to write a full police report as they said the owner of the venue is taking full responsibility.

I have a question about the compensation I am entitled to. The car is almost new and cost over 100k. For years I drove Honda’s, but after following boglehead principles of saving and investing for a few decades I have more than I will ever need. I have been working to change my habits, to be more extravagant, hence my purchase of this mind blowing, futuristic transportation appliance that makes me grin from ear to ear every time I pull away from a stoplight or merge onto a highway.

After last night’s charity gala, my happy face is a fading memory.

I post in the hope that others might share past experience. What might I be entitled to as compensation? Of course the car will be repaired and that will be covered by the venue’s insurance. But even after the repair, this serious accident will diminish the post-repair resale value of the car. That diminished value might be a couple thousand on a run of the mill vehicle, but likely significantly more substantial on this expensive Tesla. And while the repairs are ongoing, will I be entitled to rent a Tesla, or will I be driving around in a Chevy Sonic?

I have heard of a “diminished value claim” but also heard that reimbursement for this is uncertain. Has anyone successfully received compensation for the diminished value of a repaired vehicle?
I can't imagine how terrified the valet driver must feel.

OP: Regardless of how expensive it is, it is just a car. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Get it fixed and drive it until 10-15 years later, you'll soon forget this incident.

For your question, I know a friend who successfully claimed diminished value from the insurance of the driver at fault. Search the price of a similar vehicle who got an accident on file and compare it with those who were never been in an accident. My friend got a $2k check, but his car value is roughly 25-30k at that time.
Last edited by H-Town on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Things are in the saddle,
And ride mankind.

- Emerson
I'm thankful to have been born some place where we have things to worry about being in the saddle. :)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Contact your insurer immediately.

Insist that all repairs be done in a Tesla certified body shop.

Push hard for diminished value. State insurance laws do come into play with diminished value claims.

Above are more important than whether the rental is a Tesla or Kia.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Condolences - I thought Model S's had forward collision detection? A valet mode for the car might be a good idea.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hicabob wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am Condolences - I thought Model S's had forward collision detection? A valet mode for the car might be a good idea.
There is valet mode, but it doesn’t guarantee no accidents.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sorry to hear this - it's something I wouldn't think about if I was in the market for a Tesla (I'm not), so I'm glad you posted.

Maybe the insurance will total the car and you'll be able to get a new one, although at a loss of... well, a lot that you'll have no way to get back, but then you can buy a new car with no issues from the collision.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am The things you own end up owning you. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything .
+2
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:06 am Archimedes, I don’t have any information for you, but boatloads of sympathy. That sucks so much! Get your insurance company involved.

I always do this and do not feel like a weenie. The parking garage I regularly use is also used by a high end restaurant and hotel. Virtually every time I park my car I see the valets racing around the garage and am reminded how irresponsible they are. And I feel this way as a mere Honda owner.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Showing my ignorance. Thought the safety features on modern cars allowed them to stop themselves before they hit something. (TV ad: inattentive driver motoring along, vehicle in front stops, modern car stops itself, surprised driver and child smile at each other.)

Sorry for your loss. In for the ride.
Last edited by dratkinson on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Yes I am the same as far as not handing my keys to anyone. And mine is the car out alone at the edge of the lot parked one side to a curb and back to the edge of the lot. All parking lots should be like Costco parking lots - well for parking at least. Sorry to hear about your angst. I also like minimalistmarc's comment but it is nice to have some fun things!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
sport

Post by sport »

Since the car is so new, can you ask the insurance company to replace it with another new one? They can then deal with getting "their car" repaired. By the time they pay for repairs to your car and compensate you for diminished value, it might not make much difference to them.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I would try to negotiate with the owner such that you end up with a new Tesla even if that means you pay the difference between a new car replacement and the value of your car at the time of the accident.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Were you really "crying right now"? it's a car - get some perspective.

then, follow up with the owner - places like that are all about customer service, i'm sure you'll be taken care of and this will be something to laugh about in a month.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

If you can’t afford to repair it, including dealing with issues like “diminished value”, then you can’t afford to drive it.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I'd wait to see what the insurance company offers. You'll lose something on this as that is always the case but it's life. Good luck.
Topic Author
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

soupcxan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 am Things are in the saddle,
And ride mankind.

- Emerson
Ah, yes, the value of keeping things simple. Priceless.... and something to think about and work towards. I still have work to do on this front, and my better half doesn't value simplicity and minimalism as much as I might. But maybe that is just my excuse to buy a Tesla. Hah!
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

As others have suggested, you should call your own insurance company ASAP. While he was in college my son's girlfriend had an expensive accident in his car, titled to me and covered under my insurance. He was in the car, but she was driving and her father's insurance covered it. When we reported the accident to my insurer, AMICA, they took over and handled everything. It turned out my preferred local repair shop was already on AMICA's approved list. AMICA said there would be no increase in premium or any charged accident record for my policy since my son was not driving.

The benefit to me was that my insurance company handled everything according to their policies and procedures and I never had to deal with the other insurance company. AMICA told me when this happens they service the claim and the other company reimburses them. If the other insurance company balks at AMICA's repair cost estimate or AMICA's authorization and payment rate for my preferred local repair shop those issues are handled by AMICA and I never have to get involved.
Last edited by fourwheelcycle on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I don't think this is trolling. There are previous posts which would suggest that he has a high anxiety level surrounding finances. There is a reasonable amount of wealth although there appears to be a significant amount of worry surrounding it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230563&p=3587603#p3587603

Archimedes: You're going to have to reassess your relationship with your money. You've accumulated a significant amount of wealth but you're not comfortable with it. I would suggest that you go back to basics, take a good look at your wealth/expense spreadsheet, write down a financial plan, and relax. If you still feel that anxiety is just too high, I would suggest seeing a therapist about the matter since they can be very helpful. This is probably seeping into other aspects of your life and you may not be aware of it.
wander

Post by wander »

I usually do not like other people park my car for me so I avoid valet parking with any cost.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I too am curious if Tesla does not have automatic brake activation for frontal impact. Does it even have collision warning?
Impromptu

Post by Impromptu »

A new car with lots of technology will depreciate fast like a computer depreciates. The diminished value may not be very much.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Post by 2015 »

malabargold wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:48 am
+2
+3
Heartaches and money and everyone's riding around the soul til midnight.
- Peter Brown
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dbr wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 am I too am curious if Tesla does not have automatic brake activation for frontal impact. Does it even have collision warning?
Yes, it does, but it can’t override the laws of physics. Neither can it override some idiot on a joy ride. I would not be surprised if brakes were auto-applied before the collision; the car keeps very detailed records, and I would suggest that OP and/or his insurance company contact Tesla for a log file download.

ETA: I’ve had the car warn me of a possible collission when a car in front of me was slow taking a turn out of my path.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Perhaps a full police report wasnt done because it occurred on private property, a store parking lot, parking garage's are examples . Some states/locales just make those a matter of record and the parties involved/insurance companies sort it out. Get your insurance company involved and go back there and look for cameras. If they have them let your insurance company know. It could prove enlightening!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Subaru's Eyesight is pretty well known to be the best in the business and the auto braking works. Maybe trade the Tesla for a new Legacy.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Afty

Post by Afty »

OP, I totally get where you are coming from. Several years ago I stayed in a hotel in downtown Philadelphia that only had valet parking, so I let them park my manual transmission car. When they brought it back to me the next morning, it smelled of burnt clutch. I bought it up to the valet manager, he promised to file a claim for me and they would follow up by mail. Their follow up essentially said I had no proof they caused the damage and I could go pound sand.

Since then I refuse to use a valet. I avoid establishments that don't have a self park option.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 am Subaru's Eyesight is pretty well known to be the best in the business and the auto braking works. Maybe trade the Tesla for a new Legacy.
I love my Subaru’s eyesight system, but I don’t want to see if it will stop me from driving it into a wall ;)

I hate valet parking and will do pretty much anything (including booking away from hotels that only have valet parking) to avoid it.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Afty wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:51 am OP, I totally get where you are coming from. Several years ago I stayed in a hotel in downtown Philadelphia that only had valet parking, so I let them park my manual transmission car. When they brought it back to me the next morning, it smelled of burnt clutch. I bought it up to the valet manager, he promised to file a claim for me and they would follow up by mail. Their follow up essentially said I had no proof they caused the damage and I could go pound sand.

Since then I refuse to use a valet. I avoid establishments that don't have a self park option.
Yikes, I drive an automatic now but I hated using a valet with my 98 M Roadster... it was my baby, but it was old/cheap enough I survived. This would upset me though.

OP as well, especially given Tesla repair difficulty/leadtime. This is one of the reasons I don't generally purchase new vehicles; the first scratch/ding always hurts the most.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

blevine wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 am

Me too, hate using valet parking, avoid it like the plague.
+2

Condolences and good luck, OP.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

+4 (I hope my count is accurate)
Funding secured
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

You likely aren't going to get a tesla while yours is being repaired but a high end rental wouldn't be out of the question. No you wont be reimbursed for gas either. Your diminished value claim should be in the neighborhood of 10-15% of the value of the car if its not totaled out. I have successfully recieved a diminished value claim on my car and got about 10% of the value, $1500.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Honestly, with this kind of damage the frame probably bent. I wouldn't want a repair. Lawyer up. Demand the full value of the car plus extra damages. Make lemonade out of lemons. Tell them there would be bad publicity. for their venue from a legal battle.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

denovo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm Honestly, with this kind of damage the frame probably bent. I wouldn't want a repair. Lawyer up. Demand the full value of the car plus extra damages. Make lemonade out of lemons. Tell them there would be bad publicity. for their venue from a legal battle.
I'd also use the records from the Tesla - part of me wonders if the valet decided to see how fast the Tesla could go, and found out the hard way that the answer is "pretty fast."
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:oops:
Last edited by Fudgie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I thought I was paranoid to avoid valet parking, and my car is probably worth 1% of the OP's :-)