Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I've had my new glasses since Monday.

I've been wearing glasses since I was about 8 years old and I'm in my mid 30s now. Blind as a bat without my Rx. This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.

Since I can remember, I've purchased my Rx at Lenscrafters. The cost is usually about $300-$500 for high index anti-reflective lenses in frames. On the recommendation of a relative, I tried Costco Optical this year for the first time. I found a frame called "Police" and the store sample fit like a glove with a look that suits my face. It's important that I get a snug fit. Can't be pushing my frames up my nose sweating during firearms training. I explained my needs to the salesperson and they sent my order out. I asked if they were high index, the best and thinnest possible lenses, and she was clear that they were. $55 total after insurance. The glasses arrived at Costco Monday and I picked them up right away.

Wow! They are the thickest lenses I have worn (or possibly seen). Apparently the level of "high index" I was accustomed to, they don't carry them or recommend them due to their cost. Glad they told me this after the fact, eh? The frames were flanged out on the sides at a 95-100 degree angle. At first try on, the glasses nearly fell off my face onto the floor. The salesperson said the thickness of my Rx caused some distortion to the frames and tried to adjust them. I must have given them back to her 10 times. In order to get them to stay on my face they were severely tightened in behind my ears. About an hour later I was in pain until I could go back after work the next day. They loosened them. Then they were moving all over my face. I've been through this cycle for 5 days now and today I stopped by the mall to see if Lenscrafters could do a satisfactory adjustment. They said there was no way to get that frame comfortable on my face and that I should never have been sold that level of "high index" glasses with my Rx strength. My prior lenses with nearly the same Rx were about three quarters the thickness of the new ones. Makes a huge difference in terms of weight and frame fitting.

Back to Costco I went. The manager declined my request to return them, since they would be taking a total loss on the Rx (I also have an Rx identical sunglasses pair from them that is useless and even thicker looking). They offered me a remake with a different frame. The selection there is not adequate. Due to the thickness of my lenses (especially there), I really need a "bold" plastic style rim. I also need some sort of grip back near the ears to keep things secure. They have nothing remotely close to that in stock. So, I left Costco unsatisfied. I'm going to send a letter up.

Anyone had success getting an issue resolved with Costco Optical?

Nate79
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Nate79 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

That sounds very frustrating. I am quite surprised Costco didn't help you out. I've returned everything from mattresses to fruit without a peep from Costco customer service. That is what makes them great. I agree that you should try to escalate but I'm not sure how. Will be interested to hear other opinions.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1661
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm

I’m so sorry you’ve had a problem. I’ve never had issues and all 4 in our family have been getting glasses there regularly for the past few decades. When we are not happy, we get a full refund, no hassles.

I’m surprised you are having difficulty and would ask to speak with the manager of the optical department and then the manager of the store.

I’ve actually had poor experiences with Lenscrafters but never with Costco.

strafe
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by strafe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 pm

I once bought prescription glasses fron Costco and would never do it again or recommend to anyone. The lenses — which they told me were their highest quality — had unacceptable levels of chromatic aberration and distortion. Their $10 3-pack of reading glasses (same prescription) had better optical quality.

barnaclebob
Posts: 2966
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by barnaclebob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Call their corporate customer service line. Did you talk to the store manager or the eyeglasses manager? Maybe compromise and accept store credit if you shop there regularly.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Call their corporate customer service line. Did you talk to the store manager or the eyeglasses manager? Maybe compromise and accept store credit if you shop there regularly.
The eyeglasses manager sold, delivered, and adjusted the glasses. She was also there today and said their policy is no returns, 1 remake one time only per member. When they told me they were selling "the best high index lenses" they meant the best ones that they carry. In fact, it's the only lens they sell. It's just a lesser quality product then available elsewhere. Absolutely fine for a mild to average Rx. I'm "borderline" not even eligible for this type of lens. The coating is also not as good in terms of glare vs. Lenscrafters lenses I've always worn. The result seems to produce little more halo effect around light fixtures. I understand the price difference may be worth it to some, but it's an "every waking moment" issue for me.

I learned the technical terms. I have been wearing a 1.74 high index lens for a decade or so. The new lens is 1.67 high index. I was under the assumption when Costco told me they were selling the "best available" lenses that it would be at least as good as what I already wore.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Call their corporate customer service line. Did you talk to the store manager or the eyeglasses manager? Maybe compromise and accept store credit if you shop there regularly.
I'd happily take store credit, but I want my insurance benefit back as well.

harrychan
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by harrychan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I would try another Costco. I also recently got glasses at Costco and the prescription was too strong. I tried a few weeks to see if I would get used to it but I still got minor headaches. Busy-ness got the best of me and I didn't get a chance to go back to ask for a lower prescription till past the 3 month warranty period. They happily redid the lens for me with lower prescription I got from another test.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Cheyenne
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:21 pm

We both got new glasses at Costco this past year and we also both were not satisfied with the lenses. They provided another exam (2) with the optometrist and new lenses at no additional charge.

joeblow
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by joeblow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Never had an issue with Costco optical, but Costco has typically gone out of the way to accommodate any "complaint" we've had. We spend a lot of money there and have returned things years after purchase at their own suggestion (e.g. I simply wanted proof of purchase to deal directly with the manufacturer and they insisted I just return the item and get a new one).

I would speak with the store manager first and then try a different Costco, explain the situation, and hope they try to earn your business.

Ruger
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Ruger » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I would ask to speak to the manager of the store, not the optical manager. Costco has very liberal return policies so I don't understand why optical is being reluctant.
Is the size of the new lens the same as the old? The larger the lens is, the thicker and heavier it's going to be.

rbslos36
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by rbslos36 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I developed an eye disease two years ago. A year after two surgeries it went away on its own. May prescription was way off and required two changes. The Costco Optical Manager graciously replaced two pairs at no charge. This is actually a policy of the company.

I would first take them back to a different Costco. If that doesn't work I would appeal to the regional or corporate office. Good luck.

sambb
Posts: 2145
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by sambb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm

sometimes, the costs savings isn't worth it - you get what you pay for.
I'd move on to another pair.

User avatar
Gort
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Gort » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 am

You seem to have continual problems with service providers in the optical field. In a different thread you complained about the extra fee charged to get your wife's eyeglass Rx from her ophthalmologist. Where did you get your eyeglass Rx? Did you get it from Costco or elsewhere? If you're not happy with the Costco eyeglasses perhaps you could see what your wife's ophthalmologist's optical department has to offer. Good luck!

carolinaman
Posts: 3252
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by carolinaman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 am

I am a long time Costco optical customer. They have been fantastic for me. On 2 separate occasions, I damaged my glasses and they replaced them with no charge, even though I told them it was my fault. Your situation is different in that Costco apparently cannot provide what you need. Even so, when they cannot, they should man up and give you a refund. Perhaps you need to go above the optical department to the store manager to see if you can get this resolved. This is so unlike Costco and I have to think their superiors will satisfy you. Good luck!

totallystudly
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am

Get your prescription and pupilary distance and go to zenni or goggles4u or any online company and get your frame measurements and pay 1/10th the cost for glasses from now on

Glomar
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Glomar » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am

I would insist on a refund and go elsewhere. It doesn't sound like those frames, with your prescription lenses in them, can ever be adjusted to fit you properly. I think Costco should acknowledge that this is not acceptable.

I'm no expert but I also have a strong prescription and have experienced the same issue (to a lesser extent). I think that to make the lenses work properly (optically), they have to flatten out the part of the frame that holds the lenses, but this means that the ear pieces then splay out.

Things that have helped me find glasses that fit, with my strong prescription, are:

--High index lenses. As you have found, Costco does NOT have the highest/thinnest available. Now you know and can make sure to always ask for 1.74.
--METAL frames not plastic. In my experience they can better adjust metal frames. I also find the plastic frames, which don't have nose pads, more often slip down my nose.
--Choose as small of a frame that you can be comfortable with (I'm talking about the size of the lenses). Lenses are thickest at their edges, farthest away from the center - so if you minimize the overall size of the lenses, then this also helps with the thickness issue and also (I think) the need to splay out the ear pieces. It's a compromise. You need to decide for example if it is going to really bother you to look down and not be looking through the lens anymore, or if you are willing to sacrifice field-of-view to avoid coke bottle glasses... :happy

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Gort wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 am
You seem to have continual problems with service providers in the optical field. In a different thread you complained about the extra fee charged to get your wife's eyeglass Rx from her ophthalmologist. Where did you get your eyeglass Rx? Did you get it from Costco or elsewhere? If you're not happy with the Costco eyeglasses perhaps you could see what your wife's ophthalmologist's optical department has to offer. Good luck!
My wife got that issue resolved with a refund from the ophthalmologist. They acknowledged they were unclear in their pricing policy and didn't have it in writing. I think it may have been an honest mistake on their part. Her very mild -1 Rx was absolutely fine and inexpensive to purchase at Costco. This was my wife's first ever eye exam and glasses, so she just assumed to ask her doctor for a referral and went there.

As for me - I normally have always done Lenscrafters for all of my eye needs, but I did the whole experience w/ exam + this year at Costco. I had no issue with their exam. The measurement machine was computerized and the optometrist seemed thorough. That part was great. $5 VSP copay.

The problem this year was in the optical sales department. My lens can be ordered at Costco, but it's going to be an order of magnitude thicker than the higher index lens I normally get. They examined my previous lens prior to ordering my new one, but this was not explained to me at all. To me high index = high index. I'm still working on a refund, sent an e-mail to corporate, and will try visit there again this week. I'm moving across the country in a few days (expensive too!) and was trying to save money on eyer stuff this year. If it had been the same price for the same lens, win win. It's a cheaper price for a much lower quality lens than available elsewhere.

quantAndHold
Posts: 1780
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Is this actually because Costco doesn't sell the lens you want, or your vision insurance won't pay for it?

I've had problems with vision insurance before, but not with Costco.

BTW, just for clarity...an order of magnitude is 10x. Are you really saying the Costco lens is 10 times thicker than the Lenscrafters one?

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Glomar wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am
I would insist on a refund and go elsewhere. It doesn't sound like those frames, with your prescription lenses in them, can ever be adjusted to fit you properly. I think Costco should acknowledge that this is not acceptable.

I'm no expert but I also have a strong prescription and have experienced the same issue (to a lesser extent). I think that to make the lenses work properly (optically), they have to flatten out the part of the frame that holds the lenses, but this means that the ear pieces then splay out.

Things that have helped me find glasses that fit, with my strong prescription, are:

--High index lenses. As you have found, Costco does NOT have the highest/thinnest available. Now you know and can make sure to always ask for 1.74.
--METAL frames not plastic. In my experience they can better adjust metal frames. I also find the plastic frames, which don't have nose pads, more often slip down my nose.
--Choose as small of a frame that you can be comfortable with (I'm talking about the size of the lenses). Lenses are thickest at their edges, farthest away from the center - so if you minimize the overall size of the lenses, then this also helps with the thickness issue and also (I think) the need to splay out the ear pieces. It's a compromise. You need to decide for example if it is going to really bother you to look down and not be looking through the lens anymore, or if you are willing to sacrifice field-of-view to avoid coke bottle glasses... :happy
Many good points, thanks

High index is an absolute must for me. Simply a tax I must pay for my inherited bad genes! LOL!

I have generally found hybrid frames to be best, with metal and plastic. The frames they sold me are 100% plastic, but the stock store sample had demo lenses in them. They transformed into a different size/shape/feel with my lenses in them.

As far as SMALL frames, you are most right. Apparently BIG FRAMES are in style right now. The pair I got is huge, which would be fine with me if they fit.

Lonestarz
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Lonestarz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

I always get contacts from Costco but their optical department is under separate management. I have had some issue with the optical department but the store management stepped in and resolved the issue.

Dunno about their glasses.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 pm
Is this actually because Costco doesn't sell the lens you want, or your vision insurance won't pay for it?

I've had problems with vision insurance before, but not with Costco.

BTW, just for clarity...an order of magnitude is 10x. Are you really saying the Costco lens is 10 times thicker than the Lenscrafters one?
Costco doesn't carry the lens generally recommended for my Rx strength. The lens I paid for would only ever be recommended by most shops if there was a strict budget concern.

Insurance is not an issue. My cost without insurance would have been $139.99. Insurance knocked it down to about $50. Similar frames with the lenses I actually need at Lenscrafters are usually $500-600 before insurance then I end up paying around $400 out of pocket depending on frame style.

I didn't know the dictionary definition of order of magnitude. Thank you for the lesson :D I will just say they're beyond different and beyond my level of comfort tolerance for being on my face 16 hours per day. The 2 settings seem to be dangerously loose or pinching & pain.

quantAndHold
Posts: 1780
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm

My experience with vision insurance is they force the optician to use a particular lab, and the lab will only have a limited selection of cheap lenses. For several years before I had the eye surgery, I just paid out of pocket for glasses even though I had VSP, because the lab VSP used was useless. I usually went to Costco, paid for it myself, and it was fine (prescriptions were in the +9 range).

User avatar
Gort
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Gort » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:45 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm
Gort wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 am
You seem to have continual problems with service providers in the optical field. In a different thread you complained about the extra fee charged to get your wife's eyeglass Rx from her ophthalmologist. Where did you get your eyeglass Rx? Did you get it from Costco or elsewhere? If you're not happy with the Costco eyeglasses perhaps you could see what your wife's ophthalmologist's optical department has to offer. Good luck!
My wife got that issue resolved with a refund from the ophthalmologist. They acknowledged they were unclear in their pricing policy and didn't have it in writing. I think it may have been an honest mistake on their part. Her very mild -1 Rx was absolutely fine and inexpensive to purchase at Costco. This was my wife's first ever eye exam and glasses, so she just assumed to ask her doctor for a referral and went there.

As for me - I normally have always done Lenscrafters for all of my eye needs, but I did the whole experience w/ exam + this year at Costco. I had no issue with their exam. The measurement machine was computerized and the optometrist seemed thorough. That part was great. $5 VSP copay.

The problem this year was in the optical sales department. My lens can be ordered at Costco, but it's going to be an order of magnitude thicker than the higher index lens I normally get. They examined my previous lens prior to ordering my new one, but this was not explained to me at all. To me high index = high index. I'm still working on a refund, sent an e-mail to corporate, and will try visit there again this week. I'm moving across the country in a few days (expensive too!) and was trying to save money on eyer stuff this year. If it had been the same price for the same lens, win win. It's a cheaper price for a much lower quality lens than available elsewhere.

Glad you got your wife's issue resolved. Dealing with all the different providers and products in the optical industry can be frustrating to the consumer! Costco should have explained their policy better to you. I'm surprised they are taking such a hard line with you. I used to wear coke bottle glasses when younger till I got contacts and eventual refractive surgery. I know what you are experiencing trying to get a thinner lens having been there myself! Many years ago when large frames and tear drop aviator glasses were in style I could never get those given my high prescription. I always had to stick with the John Lennon style of small, nearly round frames. For awhile I was in style!! Again, good luck to you!

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 5829
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm

If you paid for the glasses using a credit card, you could dispute the charge with your credit card issuer. It's possible that they'll reverse it and take up the issue with Costco themselves.

That being said, I'll bet that the fine print for Costco's return policy is that eyeglasses are non-refundable since they are customized and cannot be sold to anyone else.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm
If you paid for the glasses using a credit card, you could dispute the charge with your credit card issuer. It's possible that they'll reverse it and take up the issue with Costco themselves.

That being said, I'll bet that the fine print for Costco's return policy is that eyeglasses are non-refundable since they are customized and cannot be sold to anyone else.
Going to request a thread close.

Contacted corporate who arranged me to meet the store manager. Five minutes of explanation later and they issued a full refund. My insurance may take time to reflect the change.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48080
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm

It's good that you got your refund, but let's keep the thread open. It's always possible that someone may want to provide additional insight or ask further questions.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
PaddyMac
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 pm

I bought sunglasses once from Costco - NEVER again. I told the woman as soon as I put them on that there were fuzzy, and she said "you'll get used to them". After many headaches and a few weeks later, I asked the Costco optician to check the prescription. They were completely wrong (+1 instead of -1 or maybe vice versa, whatever, completely wrong!). They were also very thick lenses. They were cheap but waste of money as I hated them.

Wing0125
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Wing0125 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Husband didn't listen to me and went to Costco for his eyeglass prescription. They did it WRONG. My son had to get glasses yesterday, so I told them to go to our regular optical place because we still had a credit there anyways. I told husband to have them check his glasses to see if the prescription was done correctly. How does one put the focal point on eyeglasses a full cm to the side. Telling people that it will take some time to adjust to the new glasses.... He had them on for a half hour, and it took 3 hours for his eyes to reset.... And when he called to tell them there was a problem, the woman didn't care. Told him that they don't do returns... and he had to do another eye exam to get a new prescription. It wasn't a prescription problem. It was the optician who screwed up the prescription. If the Pharmacist screws up how they do their job, they have to correct the error. How is this any different?

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by mrc » Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Wing0125 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm
Husband didn't listen to me and went to Costco for his eyeglass prescription. They did it WRONG. My son had to get glasses yesterday, so I told them to go to our regular optical place because we still had a credit there anyways. I told husband to have them check his glasses to see if the prescription was done correctly. How does one put the focal point on eyeglasses a full cm to the side. Telling people that it will take some time to adjust to the new glasses.... He had them on for a half hour, and it took 3 hours for his eyes to reset.... And when he called to tell them there was a problem, the woman didn't care. Told him that they don't do returns... and he had to do another eye exam to get a new prescription. It wasn't a prescription problem. It was the optician who screwed up the prescription. If the Pharmacist screws up how they do their job, they have to correct the error. How is this any different?
I couldn't believe how poor my second pair of Costco glasses felt. Turns out (after a visit to my optician for a measurement) that Costco made them with a prism. Not something one would ever "get used to." I explained the glasses didn't match the Rx, and they gladly remade them. Yes, the delay was frustrating. Yes, you must return to the store and not just call about problems. But I do not consider a $325 difference in price trivial either.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Gnirk
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Gnirk » Mon May 28, 2018 1:34 am

strafe wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 pm
I once bought prescription glasses fron Costco and would never do it again or recommend to anyone. The lenses — which they told me were their highest quality — had unacceptable levels of chromatic aberration and distortion. Their $10 3-pack of reading glasses (same prescription) had better optical quality.
I’ve had the same experience. As much as I love Costco, I will never buy prescription glasses from them again. The lenses in my glasses also had distortion, almost as if they allowed only a very narrow band of prescription across the center of the lens. Previously, and since, I’ve always purchased my prescription glasses from Group Health, now Kaiser. No bad experiences there.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 7238
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by jeffyscott » Mon May 28, 2018 6:06 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm
Costco doesn't carry the lens generally recommended for my Rx strength. The lens I paid for would only ever be recommended by most shops if there was a strict budget concern.
What is your Rx, mine is -9 on spherical which is pretty strong, like the worst 1% of the population. The 1.67 is fine with regards to thickness for me. Do you have a very wide frame, perhaps? Mine are 51 eye size and 17 bridge.

I previously had trivex (also not offered by Costco) which is only 1.53, but actually lighter than any high index material for most Rx due to the lower density of the material. I preferred the trivex for it's better optical properties and the thickness was okay with me, I am not bothered by that and it is somewhat hidden as I prefer plastic frames.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Millie the Cat
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Millie the Cat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Wow, that's amazing you had to go through all that with your glasses.

I returned mine for a full refund simply because I decided I didn't like the frames on my face. They looked good when I tried on the frames, but once I got the glasses and got home, I just wasn't digging the look.

I took them back, and got a refund, giving the honest reason. The sales associate suggested that I try on a frame that I like next time, and take it home, and return the frame if I'm not liking them later. But she was super nice and just credited my credit card and took the glasses back.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by FIREchief » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

SheltieFolk
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by SheltieFolk » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Costco should give you a refund, period, no questions asked. That’s the guarantee. Go to the store manager.

Former -12 rx with astigmatism here. (Cataract surgery changed that). Costco does not have good enough lenses for high myopia or anyone with a complex prescription. Nor do they have adequate frame selection if your visual needs are anything other than average. I tried Costco both pre and post cataract surgery - with no success and a lot of grief, but I got refunds. They do not stock the latest lens materials and use an older and average grade of progressive. Okay for many but not for all.

I use a private optician shop. Many dr’s office shops do not even have licensed opticians on staff. My glasses with the -12 rx were always 700-800 dollars. I paid it because the optician knew what frames and lenses would work for me. And they provided service. Best high index, best lens material, best labs - you need it if you have a high Rx. Forget Zenni and the others if you have a high Rx.

It only gets worse, and more expensive, when you need progressives. I always budgeted for it.

After cataract surgery I can use CR-30 lenses that are a lot cheaper. But I’m still avoiding Costco because of limited frames/sizes and the lens issues. Find somewhere else to save money.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm

totallystudly wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am
Get your prescription and pupilary distance and go to zenni or goggles4u or any online company and get your frame measurements and pay 1/10th the cost for glasses from now on
Your recommendation is well-intended, but the OPs Rx and needs are way beyond what Zenni or another online, no-visit provider can manage. I say this as an optometrist and user of both Costco, Zenni, and other optical providers.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 pm

I was an optometrist for 37 years, and have heard every optical-related horror story you can imagine. It's part of the business.

People have had great and/or horrendous experiences at virtually every provider of eye care and glasses. This goes for private opticals, optometrists, ophthalmologists, university-based providers, government related providers, prison-based providers, online providers, etc.

These glasses are great! These glasses are the worst ever! From the same provider.

Costco maintains control over business done at its locations, regardless of whether it's a leased optical space or not. This is a good thing when someone like the OP has a legitimate gripe. He should shop elsewhere in the future. But many shoppers, including myself and DW, do fine there. You can imagine the volume they do.

When it comes to buying glasses, you have to find what works best for you. There's not one size that fits all.

One last word: Tolerance. Eyeglass lenses have tolerances, and often these make the difference between what is acceptable or not acceptable to a user. In this case, "High Index" is not one thing, it's a variety of products with different dimensions. If you want extra thin lenses, you may be able to find a satisfactory product at a higher end optical shop, and you may be happy with them.

Even thinner lenses may be obtained when you visit foreign countries, but they may not meet the minimum ANSI safety standards of the FDA.

Years ago I was adjusting a pair of glasses with lenses ground in Japan and the lens broke in my hands because it was so thin. We had to replace both lenses at no charge, but the new replacement lenses were MUCH thicker than the original pair, and even though we did the replacement for free, the customer was, naturally very unhappy. Regardless, we couldn't satisfy her because her product was not available in the US.

See how complicated this is?

Note: I am retired from the optical business, and don't miss it. 8-)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

cheesepep
Posts: 780
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by cheesepep » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Love Costco glasses, especially overseas. Will not buy another pair elsewhere.

SR II
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by SR II » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:59 pm

totallystudly wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am
Get your prescription and pupilary distance and go to zenni or goggles4u or any online company and get your frame measurements and pay 1/10th the cost for glasses from now on
My blind-as-a-bat husband did this. The lenses from Zenni were the thickest glasses either of us had ever seen. They looked like joke glasses. Actually thicker than Coke bottle bottoms and heavier, too! Again, a matter of "you get what you pay for".

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
Yes, but I am told the coverage plan is changing next fiscal year.

kjvm

User avatar
thecarrotfund
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by thecarrotfund » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
oh please do tell, I have that insurance :happy
"not all storms are in the forecast"

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by FIREchief » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
Yes, but I am told the coverage plan is changing next fiscal year.

kjvm
VSP has created their own "on line store" called Eyeconic. You can link/use your VSP benefits and utilize most VSP local optometrists to have frames adjusted. In addition to being MUCH cheaper than my VSP optometrist, the pricing is very straightforward. I've struggled at times understanding all the "options" that my optometrist's office is trying to sell me. Worse than a new car purchase. "Yep, your lenses and frames are covered by your benefits; that will be $500 please!" :annoyed
Last edited by FIREchief on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

CrazyCatLady
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
Yes, but I am told the coverage plan is changing next fiscal year.

kjvm
I've struggled at times understanding all the "options" that my optometrist's office is trying to sell me. Worse than a new car purchase. "Yep, your lenses and frames are covered by you benefits; that will be $500 please!" :annoyed
I just had that happen! We just started on VSP and I was thinking it would be less than $100. $10 for the exam, $25 for the glasses, a little extra for the thinner lens. Anti-glare is supposed to be included in the price and we get a $150 allowance for the frames, plus a 20% discount on any "extras". My glasses ended up costing about $300. I have no clue how much the thinner lens cost (he originally said $90, but it has to have been more to get to a total price of $310) and I apparently agreed to uv protection without realizing it.

Next time I'm going back to eyemart express where I can get 2 pairs for that price, without insurance, and it only takes a couple of hours.

jayk238
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by jayk238 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:59 am

In the optival world you get what you pay for. The grinding and lens manufacturerss matter greatly and these are not easily automated.
I tried warby parker and their lens quality w artefact and aberration are not good. I used sears for years ans delt same way. I now use an austrian brand thats sold in higher end retailers called silhouette i think with good results.

Maybe i over pay but my lens plus glasses cost 400.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 am

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm
This year, my Rx changed a smidge and my frames were two years old, so I decided to use up my insurance benefits (just about to change jobs). I've got a fairly sizable face, am 6'4, and tend to be active when it comes time for various training events - work in law enforcement. Long distance vision is paramount for firearms qualification.
Just curious. Do/did you happen to have vision insurance through VSP? I recently learned of a great option for obtaining eyeglasses for anybody with VSP coverage.
Yes, but I am told the coverage plan is changing next fiscal year.

kjvm
VSP has created their own "on line store" called Eyeconic. You can link/use your VSP benefits and utilize most VSP local optometrists to have frames adjusted. In addition to being MUCH cheaper than my VSP optometrist, the pricing is very straightforward. I've struggled at times understanding all the "options" that my optometrist's office is trying to sell me. Worse than a new car purchase. "Yep, your lenses and frames are covered by your benefits; that will be $500 please!" :annoyed
Just FYI this is a very old thread :)

That is a pretty neat benefit, but for me, it's probably the most important purchase I make. It's very important for me to try on my frames and get the best product available. I have a very strong Rx.

Helo80
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by Helo80 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm
If you paid for the glasses using a credit card, you could dispute the charge with your credit card issuer. It's possible that they'll reverse it and take up the issue with Costco themselves.

That being said, I'll bet that the fine print for Costco's return policy is that eyeglasses are non-refundable since they are customized and cannot be sold to anyone else.


I would avoid the "dispute" the charge angle and see if the CC issuer has a "return protection" guarantee on the sale. You may have to pay shipping to get said eyeglasses to some warehouse, but you should get your money back. From the dispute side, customer received said good/service from merchant at the agreed upon price. I don't know if there is much to dispute and disputing puts you in the cross hairs of a merchant.

And yes, I empathize with OP as Costco botched a pair of glasses I had from two years ago as I was never told about the high index lenses. So, I got these sort of clunkers back that I tried for 1 day and then was resolute on returning/exchanging them. I definitely did not go in saying "I want the cheapest pair of glasses I can get." Hell, the frames were the designer end and definitely in the top 5-10% price wise of what they had on the shelf. Anyways, my local Costco had no issue with exchanging them.

(Note: I know Costco resolved OP's issue with a full-refund as I figured it was a matter of finding the right ear in the company to understand what happened).

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by FIREchief » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:14 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 am
It's very important for me to try on my frames and get the best product available. I have a very strong Rx.
That's the challenge with on-line shopping for glasses. Fortunately, I've bought the same frame the past several pairs, so I know what I want.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

boglegirl
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by boglegirl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I've struggled at times understanding all the "options" that my optometrist's office is trying to sell me. Worse than a new car purchase. "Yep, your lenses and frames are covered by you benefits; that will be $500 please!" :annoyed
I just had that happen! We just started on VSP and I was thinking it would be less than $100. $10 for the exam, $25 for the glasses, a little extra for the thinner lens. Anti-glare is supposed to be included in the price and we get a $150 allowance for the frames, plus a 20% discount on any "extras". My glasses ended up costing about $300. I have no clue how much the thinner lens cost (he originally said $90, but it has to have been more to get to a total price of $310) and I apparently agreed to uv protection without realizing it.
...
Yep, happened to us also. My husband came home and informed me he'd spent over $300. (he does not wear fancy glasses or have a complicated rx). I assumed there was a problem with applying our benefits, so I called the optometrist's office who emailed me the details. I'm a former CPA and couldn't make sense of the math! I'm not convinced we got a discount at all. Someone just started another thread about a "negative discount" with their health insurance and a medical provider - I wonder if VSP & their providers work like that. :?

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2684
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by FIREchief » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:13 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 am
CrazyCatLady wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I've struggled at times understanding all the "options" that my optometrist's office is trying to sell me. Worse than a new car purchase. "Yep, your lenses and frames are covered by you benefits; that will be $500 please!" :annoyed
I just had that happen! We just started on VSP and I was thinking it would be less than $100. $10 for the exam, $25 for the glasses, a little extra for the thinner lens. Anti-glare is supposed to be included in the price and we get a $150 allowance for the frames, plus a 20% discount on any "extras". My glasses ended up costing about $300. I have no clue how much the thinner lens cost (he originally said $90, but it has to have been more to get to a total price of $310) and I apparently agreed to uv protection without realizing it.
...
Yep, happened to us also. My husband came home and informed me he'd spent over $300. (he does not wear fancy glasses or have a complicated rx). I assumed there was a problem with applying our benefits, so I called the optometrist's office who emailed me the details. I'm a former CPA and couldn't make sense of the math! I'm not convinced we got a discount at all. Someone just started another thread about a "negative discount" with their health insurance and a medical provider - I wonder if VSP & their providers work like that. :?
That's funny (not really). I believe that VSP puts a cap on what the optometrists can charge for each option (UV protection, anti-glare, polycarbonate lenses, photochromatic lenses, progressive lenses, etc.). I've also dealt with a provider who has done a really poor job of itemizing these out on a receipt.

Based upon the reviews I've read on the internet, VSP's relatively new on-line option (Eyeconic) is often despised by optometrists in their network. It sounds like VSP may have gone this direction partially because of an understanding that patients are often dissatisfied with these price shenanigans and they would rather keep their ultimate purchases "in house" then have them go somewhere else for their glasses. I just bought a pair of glasses through Eyeconic and it worked great. My new glasses with new frames, trivex lenses, progressive lenses were about the same price out of pocket (without frame/lens benefit) than my last new glasses through the optometrist's office with reused frame, polycarbonate lenses and single line bifocal. Unbelievable.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

oko
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Costco Eyeglasses - No satisfaction guarantee. Any chance of resolution?

Post by oko » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:34 pm

I read from somewhere how $2-$3 cost glasses are sold for $200-$300 at retailers. I don't know how accurate that was. But I certainly think the materials on a non-designer glasses are costing 1-$2 to the manufacturer (I use frameless glasses for years, and there is not much material on those).

I stopped VSP years ago. I have been going to optometrists/ophthalmologists for years paying out of pocket and order glasses from Zenni and I am still paying less. The advantages of ordering from Zenni or other online retailers:

1-You can get "best of everything", all kinds of options, and still get a glasses under $100.

2-You know what you are getting: There are so many options etc. and there is no way that you can know or google all of those options when buying from a retailer (for example, is 1.61 better or 1.57 with UV+ blue blocker)?

3-You can very easily calculate computer glasses etc using online calculators, using the exact measurements you use. Like, I am sitting 22" from my computer and I used this web site to calculate my exact computer glasses values: http://www.computerglassesrx.com/index.php#content.

I don't know how I could know about this at a local retail shop. I would just have to trust the sales person.

4-I like magnetic clip on glasses, and it is almost impossible to get those at local retailers. Magnetic clip-ons is something I cannot live without, and honestly don't know how other nearsighted poeple live without those when driving etc.

For those who think ordering glasses from internet is unacceptable: You really don't have much to lose (certainly not $300). You can order one for ~$30 and test it. I have been ordering from Zenni for several years and never had a problem.

Post Reply