Looking for job, should I freeze my credit now?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
WannabeEarlyRetiree

Looking for job, should I freeze my credit now?

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 pm

I know with the Equifax hack, I should freeze my credit. But I am looking for a new job right now, should I wait until I have a new job to freeze my credit?

Jeep512

Re: Looking for job, should I freeze my credit now?

Post by Jeep512 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 am

I would freeze it immediately.

When you get an offer, then unfreeze just the bureau that is necessary. Your new employer should be able to tell you which one.

Then re-freeze that bureau. It'll cost you $20 total or so ($10 each time), depending on your state.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am

I'm in a similar situation but I already froze my credit (looking for a job as well). Is a credit check usually part of a background check or are there too many variables to answer yes or no to such a question? I realize, upon doing a quick google search, this can vary by state law, but what I read also indicated that it may be more likely in certain sectors such as financial or jobs that require clearance (neither field would apply to me).

WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am
I'm in a similar situation but I already froze my credit (looking for a job as well). Is a credit check usually part of a background check or are there too many variables to answer yes or no to such a question? I realize, upon doing a quick google search, this can vary by state law, but what I read also indicated that it may be more likely in certain sectors such as financial or jobs that require clearance (neither field would apply to me).
I think it is depends on industry too. We have a lot of aerospace companies in my area so I think they typically do some kind of background or credit check.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm

OP,

I would suggest freezing your credit now. Until you start getting job offers, there is no telling how long it might be until you need to have your credit unfrozen for a background check.
DiggleRex wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am
Even if you're not looking for work in the financial sector or industries that require a security clearance, I would still say a credit check is likely to be a part of a background check. Employers can use a credit check to examine whether an applicant is impulsive, irresponsible, or otherwise lacks self-control.

garlicpotato

Post by garlicpotato » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm

OP, I was recently in the same situation as you are currently. I froze my credit a few weeks ago, then needed to unfreeze it last week for a background check. It was easy: the firm conducting the check told me which credit firm they used, I went to that firm's website, and after a few clicks (and a nominal charge to my credit card), my credit report was unfrozen for 7 days.

Based on my experience, there is no reason why you should should not freeze your credit immediately.
Last edited by garlicpotato on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I wonder how the credit lock, that's free at Equifax and TransUnion, ends up working for potential employer pulls. It's supposed to allow low threat pulls from insurance companies and employers, but doesn't say if it's only existing employers.
I agree with everyone else that freezing (or maybe locking where it's free) now would be best.