What happens if you ACH to an account that is closed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Jags4186

What happens if you ACH to an account that is closed?

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am

So long story short, I sent $1500 from institution A to institution B. Instituation B closed the receiving account the same day the transfer was initiated. It is 7 days later and institution A transfer page shows the money was “delivered”. I received a cashiers check from Institution B for the remaining balance in the account, which did not include the $1500.

How would you proceed?

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: What happens if you ACH to an account that is closed?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

Ask Institution A to inquire with Institution B where the funds are. Have Institution A provide you with the transmittal number showing the funds were sent to Institution B. Use that information to have Institution B investigate your claim of the monies.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am
So long story short, I sent $1500 from institution A to institution B. Instituation B closed the receiving account the same day the transfer was initiated. It is 7 days later and institution A transfer page shows the money was “delivered”. I received a cashiers check from Institution B for the remaining balance in the account, which did not include the $1500.

How would you proceed?
This is very common when dealing with the death of a person. The ACH transfer simply does not go through and the funds remain with (or are bounced back to) the sending entity.

In your case, call institution A and ask how to proceed, again.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am
How would you proceed?
There are several possibiliies. One is that the money is sitting in some kind of "suspense" account at Institution B awaiting reconciliation or return to Institution A. I might contact Institution B and see if they still have it. Sometimes, in such situations, Institution B would just mail the check for the amount - and they migh wait a few days to make sure the ACH is not pulled back.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Should have waited 1 more day to asked about this! Received an e-mail from Institution A today saying the transaction was rejected and the $1500 is back in the original account.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm
Should have waited 1 more day to asked about this! Received an e-mail from Institution A today saying the transaction was rejected and the $1500 is back in the original account.
While such postings to existing accounts are very automated, when there are rejections - I suspect there is a manual process to review these. That may account for the apparent delay of a few days.