Wiki revised - 529 plans

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Wiki revised - 529 plans

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Based on this unexpected member feedback in Re: N.Carolina 529 no longer state tax decuctible
euroswiss wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm
feehater wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:28 am
Is the Wiki not complete on this? I had assumed that any state not on this list did not do a recapture:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/529_pla ... _rollovers
The Wiki is very much out of date, unfortunately. Doesn't even list NC
The wiki editors have collaborated to completely overhaul the wiki's 529 plan articles.

Most of those articles, especially the 54 individual state 529 plan articles, were written circa 2008. We had fully expected that members would jump right in to keep things up-to-date. That didn't happen. Moving forward, we have taken a pragmatic approach to replace the individual 529 state plans with a single consolidated article.

See: 529 plans by state

This single article provides links to three websites containing latest 529 plan information: Ascensus College Savings, College Savings Plan Network, and Saving for College. We provide links to the websites' search engines, which are quite comprehensive.

Additionally, this new article contains a complete listing of every 529 plan. Included in this comprehensive table are direct links to the relevant plan, Morningstar description, and fee disclosure.

Anyone linking to the prior individual state plans will be redirected to this new page. No worries, as we've preserved the individual plan pages here: Category:529 plan archive and note the plans are now renamed with "archive" in the title.

The top-level plan starts here: 529 plan. Also updated are:

- 529 plan recapture tax on rollovers
- 529 plan account transfers
- Collegesure 529 Tuition Indexed Programs

Many, many thanks to CollegePrudens for reviewing and updating the individual plan table (including the links), and providing updates where needed on several pages.

Comments / questions / corrections are welcome. Lurkers are welcome to comment by completing the "Help improve this page" found at the bottom of every wiki page (not supported in Mobile view, use Desktop view).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Wildebeest

Re: Wiki revised - 529 plans

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 pm

I am very appreciative of the Wiki and it is a great resource.

I used it in 2016 to pick Utah as my preferred 529 in part because I could get DFA funds.

Thanks CollegePrudens and LadyGeek and all other Bogleheads to help create this.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 pm
I am very appreciative of the Wiki and it is a great resource.

I used it in 2016 to pick Utah as my preferred 529 in part because I could get DFA funds.

Thanks CollegePrudens and LadyGeek and all other Bogleheads to help create this.
It was my pleasure to work on the update Wildebeest. A very small token of appreciation to the Bogleheads community.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Awesome work. Thank you.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius