Metlaw - Hyatt Legal

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
raamakoti

Metlaw - Hyatt Legal

Post by raamakoti » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 am

my company is offering Metlaw legal service through our annual enrollment. Change is $8.31/ paycheck @ 26 pay periods = $216 per year.
Is it worth signing up for.
Only thread I found on this site was viewtopic.php?t=58205 but it is about 7 years old.
any recent experiences? I would appreciate your help. Enrollment is closing in a week from toady.

renue74

Re: Metlaw - Hyatt Legal

Post by renue74 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am

Our company used to have a prepaid legal service back in the early 2000s. The few times we used them, they screwed up the names of the people involved or didn't do what they were supposed to do as far as drafting the appropriate documents. Just wasn't a good experience any time we used them. This wasn't Hyatt Legal, but another prepaid service.

Look at: https://www.bbb.org/cleveland/business- ... complaints

I would probably steer clear.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

I bought it last year thinking I would use it to find a lawyer for our need to update our estate planning (old lawyer long retired). Ended up not using the service as it seems like all it really does is provide an initial referral service and not necessarily for the best lawyers and for a pretty limited set of services where any add-ons are market rates. We ended up using a well recommended lawyer outside of the service because we needed some relatively complicated planning and didn't trust what we'd get. If you are looking for an easy way to get access to lawyers without a concrete need, it may be valuable (a co-worker recommends it for this reason and another has used it for getting access to lawyers for traffic court and minor legal scrapes with one of his children), but if you are looking for more specific items or longer-term services, the $8/mo. is not going to give you much. I am not renewing next year.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am

retiringwhen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am
I bought it last year thinking I would use it to find a lawyer for our need to update our estate planning (old lawyer long retired). Ended up not using the service as it seems like all it really does is provide an initial referral service and not necessarily for the best lawyers and for a pretty limited set of services where any add-ons are market rates. We ended up using a well recommended lawyer outside of the service because we needed some relatively complicated planning and didn't trust what we'd get. If you are looking for an easy way to get access to lawyers without a concrete need, it may be valuable (a co-worker recommends it for this reason and another has used it for getting access to lawyers for traffic court and minor legal scrapes with one of his children), but if you are looking for more specific items or longer-term services, the $8/mo. is not going to give you much. I am not renewing next year.
Thank you for your reply - I was planning to use for last living will. But I guess I can use www.legalzoom.com recommended by my financial adviser. I want to make sure things are in order for my little one in case if something happens to me and my wife at the same time. Who will make financial decisions for her, where will she go, who will be her guardian etc.

Fire2030

Post by Fire2030 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

My company also provides this service and this year I signed up to take care of "Will, POA, Health Care Directive". These are fully covered under the plan. I checked with few of my colleagues who used the service and they seemed happy with the lawyers under the plan. Some of them setup trusts as well but that's not covered by the plan. If your situation isn't complicated, this may be good enough. I have a very simple situation..everything goes to my wife or the two kids, that's it.

Yes, these can be done with software online cheaper than $216 but wanted to get some one on one advice. We will see how it goes.

Here's another thread viewtopic.php?t=230659

Also, I checked out "Beyond the Grave" from the library..interesting read so far. Good luck !!

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am

Fire2030 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am
...I checked out "Beyond the Grave" from the library..interesting read so far.
It's interesting, and it's popular here; and you got your money's worth from it. But it's geared to community property states, in particular California. It's not particularly tax-oriented, which may be fine for most people now that very few people will pay estate tax. He focuses on the two end points regarding providing for children, either outright or in trusts in which the child has little or no control. However, most of our clients opt for a middle ground, providing for their children in trust rather than outright (to keep the child's inheritance out of his/her estate and to better protect against the child's creditors and spouses), but giving the child effective control over the trust upon reaching a specified age.