PayPal alternative?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kayanco

PayPal alternative?

Post by kayanco » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi guys,

Do we have a good PayPal alternative for free money transfer to friends/family around the world?

I like PP's idea that you can send money to anyone by email. And they can then transfer it to their linked checking account.
But after finding out about the terrible PP customer service, I'm wondering if there's a good alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CaliJim

Re: PayPal alternative?

Post by CaliJim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Venmo?
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

logicon

Post by logicon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 am

I use my bank's (Ally) person-to-person payment service, Zelle. Seems to work well for simple payments.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:06 am

Venmo is amazing.

PayPal is the worst.

Unfortunately, I think paypal owns venmo.

But venmo is great. Download it, link to your bank, transactions typically take one day.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 am

CaliJim wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:40 pm
Venmo?
Venmo is owned by PayPal :)

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 am

The key with this sort of technology is that, like a fax machine, it's completely useless if only 1 person has it, mostly useless if only 2 people have it, and extremely useful if everybody has it. So use the platforms that the people you'll be paying/receiving money use. In my case, that's Paypal and Venmo. I use both. I agree Venmo is better.

People who use Zelle (e.g. Chase Quickpay) irritate me because those platforms are so much less ubiquitous. So when you send money to somebody else using Zelle, you might be forcing them to jump through a set of hoops to be able to accept their money. Don't be that person. Same with Google Wallet. Unless your friends all use one of these technologies, don't send money to them that way.

And always ask a person if they accept <PLATFORM> before you send them money with it.

ddd

Post by ddd » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:47 am

if you want an instant transfer like PayPal does, and the recipient does not mind gift cards. Use your credit card to buy an electronic gift card (e.g. amazon).

Your friend gets the gift, and you get a cash back reward.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 am

Just write a check, always works :D

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am

kayanco wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 pm

But after finding out about the terrible PP customer service, I'm wondering if there's a good alternative.
This is an issue for eBayers -- your family members aren't likely to claim that they never got the cash, are they? :happy Not sure where customer service would even factor in here. My kids swear by Venmo.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 am

logicon wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 am
I use my bank's (Ally) person-to-person payment service, Zelle. Seems to work well for simple payments.
BofA has the same service (Zelle). We use it to transfer $ to one of my daughter's college housemates for rent. Works very well. Funds generally transfer in one business day.

I have used Paypal in the past to transfer $ and my experience with it was fine. Never had a problem.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 am

I've done Google Wallet with zero hiccups for years.

jackdee

Post by jackdee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:44 am

Square Cash. You can also get a debit card with this one.

expat

Post by expat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:02 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 am
The key with this sort of technology is that, like a fax machine, it's completely useless if only 1 person has it, mostly useless if only 2 people have it, and extremely useful if everybody has it. So use the platforms that the people you'll be paying/receiving money use. In my case, that's Paypal and Venmo. I use both. I agree Venmo is better.

People who use Zelle (e.g. Chase Quickpay) irritate me because those platforms are so much less ubiquitous. So when you send money to somebody else using Zelle, you might be forcing them to jump through a set of hoops to be able to accept their money. Don't be that person. Same with Google Wallet. Unless your friends all use one of these technologies, don't send money to them that way.

And always ask a person if they accept <PLATFORM> before you send them money with it.
The one and only correct response.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 am

Bfwolf wrote:
I agree Venmo is better.
Can you please explain better in what way?
Thanks.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 am

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am
kayanco wrote:

This is an issue for eBayers -- your family members aren't likely to claim that they never got the cash, are they? :happy Not sure where customer service would even factor in here. My kids swear by Venmo.
I had an issue with PP where someone fraudulently initiated transactions from my account. I purposely had PP linked to an account with little money that wasn't actively used. PP let the transactions go through, which caused NSF fees from the bank. PP and the bank pointed fingers at each other and didn't want to refund/reimburse the NSF fees. I can't recall who ended up paying in the end (it wasn't me) but I closed both accounts after that experience.

I, too, have wondered about a good alternative as there have been several occasions when I needed to send or receive money from individuals. I have received money using some type of Chase payment method. I have sent money through my bank's online bill pay but I have been having issues with them lately to the point that I recently downloaded the Venmo app though I have not yet linked a bank account yet.

-Steph

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 am
daveydoo wrote:
kayanco wrote:

I had an issue with PP where someone fraudulently initiated transactions from my account. I purposely had PP linked to an account with little money that wasn't actively used. PP let the transactions go through, which caused NSF fees from the bank. PP and the bank pointed fingers at each other and didn't want to refund/reimburse the NSF fees. I can't recall who ended up paying in the end (it wasn't me) but I closed both accounts after that experience.

I, too, have wondered about a good alternative as there have been several occasions when I needed to send or receive money from individuals. I have received money using some type of Chase payment method. I have sent money through my bank's online bill pay but I have been having issues with them lately to the point that I recently downloaded the Venmo app though I have not yet linked a bank account yet.

-Steph
I removed the PayPal link to my bank years ago. I just have it draw from my PayPal account balance (which is usually $0) and the rest from my cc.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 am

expat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am
https://www.zellepay.com/
The bank I am using TD Bank has it working.
Others banks such at BB&T still is in process.
I can't wait for ZellePay to go live.
However, they may have to offer some sort of promotion to get people off their Paypal butts and sign up for ZellePay.
I know a lot of people who use Paypal and are used to Paypal.

I despise Paypal.
Last edited by Nyc10036 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am

SRenaeP wrote:
I have sent money through my bank's online bill pay but I have been having issues with them lately to the point that I recently downloaded the Venmo app though I have not yet linked a bank account yet.
Venmo is owned by Paypal and works the same way.
They are not banks.

I use TD Bank's online bill pay and no problems.
I go in once a month and send a check to a home-based horse rescue.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am
SRenaeP wrote:
daveydoo wrote:
kayanco wrote:

-Steph
I removed the PayPal link to my bank years ago. I just have it draw from my PayPal account balance (which is usually $0) and the rest from my cc.
Don't you incur a fee when paying via CC vs bank account?

-Steph

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
daveydoo wrote:
kayanco wrote:

-Steph

-Steph
No.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am

You do incur a fee of 2.9% + 30 cents when paying by credit card versus your Paypal balance (or linked bank account).

I get a pop-up offering me a choice. This happened recently when I purchased some poly mailers on eBay.

However, when I donate to a charity using a credit card they the charity absorbs this fee.

Paypal has to get its money somehow.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am
SRenaeP wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
daveydoo wrote:

-Steph

-Steph
No.
If you pay a merchant through PP using CC, you won't pay a fee (because the merchant covers the fee).
If you pay a friend the same way, you WILL have to pay a fee. Whereas with bank account it's free.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
I just have it draw from my PayPal account balance (which is usually $0) and the rest from my cc.
+1. This is how mine has always been set up.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
I just have it draw from my PayPal account balance (which is usually $0) and the rest from my cc.
+1. This is how mine has always been set up.
That's their default if you don't have a linked bank account.

You don't set up anything.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 am

Nyc10036 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am
You do incur a fee of 2.9% + 30 cents when paying by credit card versus your Paypal balance (or linked bank account).

I get a pop-up offering me a choice. This happened recently when I purchased some poly mailers on eBay.

However, when I donate to a charity using a credit card they the charity absorbs this fee.

Paypal has to get its money somehow.
There is no Paypal fee if you are sending money to a friend, even with a credit card.

I have used Paypal with my business for years and have never had an issue with them. I've used Wells Fargo Quickpay before it was Zelle and it worked well. Same for Chase's version.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 am

There is no Paypal fee if you are sending money to a friend, even with a credit card.
That is simply NOT true from my experience.
I have done dozens of transactions this year.

After a brutal experience with Paypal and a linked bank account, I absolutely refuse to link any bank account to my Paypal account.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

ERISA Stone wrote:

One of the two people HAS to pay a fee. I think you can select the transaction such that the friend would pay the fee. But's it's not possible that neither pay a fee.

Otherwise, that would be a HUGE loophole. You both could get 2% rewards cards and just keep sending money back and forth and keep earning free points.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am
ERISA Stone wrote:

One of the two people HAS to pay a fee. I think you can select the transaction such that the friend would pay the fee. But's it's not possible that neither pay a fee.

Otherwise, that would be a HUGE loophole. You both could get 2% rewards cards and just keep sending money back and forth and keep earning free points.
Apologies. You are both correct. Anytime I pay a friend through paypal, I've been using my bank account, not one of my credit cards.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm

OP,

I prefer using Amazon gifts cards to pay family members/friends when a simple check won't do.
crystalbank wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 am
Your statement reminds me of this thread;

viewtopic.php?t=231110

TLDR:

Some people aren't comfortable giving out checks anymore.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I use Facebook payments a lot.

TravelforFun

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am
ERISA Stone wrote:

After a brutal experience with Paypal and a linked bank account, I absolutely refuse to link any bank account to my Paypal account.
Care to elaborate ?

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm

I have a love hate with paypal. My website provider uses an integrated paypal cart. This means the money is not always directly available. Paypal holds on to it for a bit.
When doing direct sales at caft/art shows I use square. The money is always in there the next business day. They are great.
I had someone transfer me money through zelle and initially it was a pain to set up, but once I did the money transferred easily.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:35 pm

blevine wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm
Nyc10036 wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:

Care to elaborate ?
Overdraft fee at my bank because Paypal not once but twice tried to take money from that account for the same purchase.
It was enough for me to see red.
They wouldn't even refund the 2nd attempt fee.
Ever since then if I can avoid Paypal I do.

I cannot imagine the headaches of people who have had their accounts frozen.
Paypal is not a bank. Therefore they don't have to following banking regulations.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm

I use Zello through Chase to send money to my dependent children when they created a checking/debit account.
Use Venmo to send / receive money from others.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

frogmaster

Post by frogmaster » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:00 pm

transferwise(dot)com

Send Big$ half way around the world with very LOW Fees :)

Mr Frog
Mr. Frog | :beer

2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:35 pm
blevine wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm
Nyc10036 wrote:
ERISA Stone wrote:

Care to elaborate ?
Overdraft fee at my bank because Paypal not once but twice tried to take money from that account for the same purchase.
It was enough for me to see red.
They wouldn't even refund the 2nd attempt fee.
Ever since then if I can avoid Paypal I do.

I cannot imagine the headaches of people who have had their accounts frozen.
Paypal is not a bank. Therefore they don't have to following banking regulations.
That's not true. PayPal is regulated by Reg E.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm

How does it work with accessibility dou..? I know 99% of websites work on Paypal so I don't know if ny other sites would be able to compete with it

Pessimist55

Post by Pessimist55 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am

They shut my ability to accept personal payments cuz I got two large payments to my personal n biz acct . Got no warning just straight up removal. Want my peeps to pay up....

Anytime a cc is used to pay, the sender eats the fees. Buyer won't feel a thing. So whatever someone said free when using cc for personal payments is wrong

blevine

Post by blevine » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:22 am

I default my payments to use my cc, so if there is a dispute, I always have the cc to stand in the middle.
I do have my bank linked but do not use it other than to receive payments for the rare (these days) times when I sell on Ebay (and Amazon). I suppose Amazon could cause issues with your bank account, and processing millions of transactions/day like Paypal, can't imagine resolving an issue with Amazon payments is any easier.

The way I see it, you give out your bank acct # to many, every time you write a check, many websites (not just paypal and Amazon for me). Have one extra checking acct that has little funds in it and use that one for all these services. I have Zelle, Paypal and Amazon all linked to checking account where I keep minimal balances. Have 2 checking accounts and a cash mgmt brokerage account. I keep whatever cash to pay bills in the other two accts. Periodically transfer cash to the "public" one when I need to make payments with that account, but keep the balance low. I realize this can't prevent overdraft fees, nor is it 100% protection from fraud, but it limits potential damages. There is a cost to convenience, and I find these services convenient. I have made enough cash selling on Amazon and Ebay that if I someday get an overdraft fee, I am still ahead of the game.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am

flamesabers wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm
OP,

I prefer using Amazon gifts cards to pay family members/friends when a simple check won't do.
crystalbank wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 am
Your statement reminds me of this thread;

viewtopic.php?t=231110

TLDR:

Some people aren't comfortable giving out checks anymore.
Read that thread :)
Interesting discussion ...

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm
I use Facebook payments a lot.

TravelforFun
++ Nearly everyone has Facebook and it offers free friend to friend payments.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am

knick17 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm
How does it work with accessibility dou..? I know 99% of websites work on Paypal so I don't know if ny other sites would be able to compete with it
That's a good point for e-commerce. Many sites use it. That sort of makes it a necessary evil.

From online shopping perspective I like PayPal (or rather the idea behind it): You don't give out your CC info directly to the merchant.
Good example, eBay, where sellers don't get to see your CC info. Individual sellers won't have the setup to keep your info secure, and also eliminates any seller misusing your CC info.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am

Pessimist55 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am
They shut my ability to accept personal payments cuz I got two large payments to my personal n biz acct . Got no warning just straight up removal.
I've heard several stories like this, PayPal would just freeze or shutdown an account. This is where their poor customer service would come in.

That's the main problem with institutions like these. Everything would be fine for years, and give you a (false) impression: This is such a great service, I never have issues. Until one day you do need customer service, and the nightmare begins ...

Side-note:
These days they don't even listen to you, just read scripts. This happened yesterday:
Me: I have a question about ...
Rep: I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you ... no, no, I mean, thank for for being a valuable customer ..

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 am

Pessimist55 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am

Anytime a cc is used to pay, the sender eats the fees. Buyer won't feel a thing. So whatever someone said free when using cc for personal payments is wrong
I was the one who said that PayPal doesn’t charge me for cc transactions. I don’t have my bank account linked to PayPal. I went back and looked over some transactions for the last couple of years and it’s true, no charge. All my purchases are either on eBay or from merchants online that accept PayPal. No charge for those. I’ve had money refunded by online vendors for returns with no charge also.

Sales I made on eBay have a fee added. I knew that already, so no surprise. That fee would be charged whether I have a bank account linked or not. I haven’t sent money person to person via PayPal in years so I don’t know how that’s handled now. Maybe that’s where having a linked bank account makes a difference? Not sure about it.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 am
Bfwolf wrote:
I agree Venmo is better.
Can you please explain better in what way?
Thanks.
Simpler, easier to use. Very intuitive. Don't have to be careful to avoid fees.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm

I used paypal for years, then one day I noticed someone was withdrawing money from my Paypal account using my mother's name. I called customer service, and it was such a pain to correct the issue and they made me jump through hoops to suspend the account and get my money back.

Years later I sign up for Paypal again and try to link my bank account and Paypal wont let me, I assume because its tied to the previous fraudulent account. I am finally done with Paypal and just use Venmo for everything. It is so much easier to use and can transfer money with just a few clicks. Also, receiving money and transferring to your bank account is so much more simple. I feel like with Paypal there's several more steps/clicks to take to send and receive money.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am
knick17 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm
That's a good point for e-commerce. Many sites use it. That sort of makes it a necessary evil.

From online shopping perspective I like PayPal (or rather the idea behind it): You don't give out your CC info directly to the merchant.
Good example, eBay, where sellers don't get to see your CC info. Individual sellers won't have the setup to keep your info secure, and also eliminates any seller misusing your CC info.
I use Paypal for work and shopping, and honestly I see it as a very secure and efficient method. It is hard to match it for now.