Scooter insurance for a 20 year old college student

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Red Headed Mommy

Scooter insurance for a 20 year old college student

Post by Red Headed Mommy »

My 20 year old in college is considering getting a scooter to get from his off-campus apartment to classes. He is looking at a used 2012 Ruckus for $1,500. He needs liability insurance in order to get the scooter registered. (He will not get collision or comprehensive on his scooter.)

When I called our insurance company Liberty Mutual, I got a quote of $819 per year!!! :shock: even though he has never had any tickets or accidents!

Any suggestions I can suggest for him searching for a reasonable rate? I am thinking less of a "big box" insurance company would be better suited for his needs...
Tyler Aspect

Re: Scooter insurance for a 20 year old college student

Post by Tyler Aspect »

A car is much safer compared to a scooter. Maybe a used Honda Civic and minimum insurance?
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Tyler Aspect wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm A car is much safer compared to a scooter. Maybe a used Honda Civic and minimum insurance?
+!

OP, the high rate is likely due to his age and increased likelihood of injury on a scooter.

The $819 quote is probably the insurance company's way of saying, "We don't really want to insure your son on a scooter, but if you insist, you are going to pay out the wazoo."

You are not likely to find better rates elsewhere, but I may be wrong.

I am not a motorcycle or scooter rider, but my friends who are, are of the "ATGATT" school - I agree.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

Call a few other insurance companies for quotes. That is an insane amount to pay.
Steve
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Longdog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:06 pm Call a few other insurance companies for quotes. That is an insane amount to pay.
No experience or knowledge, but BOTH persons of that age AND scooters are high risk.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

dm200 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm
Longdog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:06 pm Call a few other insurance companies for quotes. That is an insane amount to pay.
No experience or knowledge, but BOTH persons of that age AND scooters are high risk.
Risky to the rider, yes. That’s not what this is covering. This is, I believe, just liability coverage. The risk of significant damage to someone else’s property or to a non-rider with a small bike like this is very small. What liability coverage amount is it for?
Steve
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Longdog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:01 pm
dm200 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm
Risky to the rider, yes. That’s not what this is covering. This is, I believe, just liability coverage. The risk of significant damage to someone else’s property or to a non-rider with a small bike like this is very small. What liability coverage amount is it for?
Right. I suspect that even a small scooter could cause some serious damage (liability). Let's say, for example, that an irresponsible scooter driver was the cause of a multiple vehicle accident where multiple folks are seriously injured. His/her liability insurance would be involved. So, the scooter could not easily smash into a car and do a lot of damage or injure/kill the driver or passenger -- BUT what if he/she ran a stop sign or red light causing the other vehicles to swerve into each other at higher speed - that could be a lot of damage. Pedestrians could also be killed or seriously injured.
William4u

Post by William4u »

Scooters are one of the most dangerous form of transportation per mile. Many do not wear helmets, which is insane. Even with a helmet it is very dangerous. It took a lot of work to raise a kid to the age of 18. I myself worked pretty hard so my child would survive until college. For them to turn around and risk their lives just to be able to leave for class 5-10 minutes later strikes me as the definition of crazy.
Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz »

Policy at geico should be the minimum: $99/yr - I had this policy for several years in the same situation.

49cc to get under the 50cc regs or something bigger? Should still be $100/yr
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I think the high liability risk is for passengers on the scooter. What college kid is going to refuse a pretty young lady as a passenger, and just might actively encourage it. :D
kevinpet

Post by kevinpet »

Certainly shop around, but also taking a motorcycle safety course can cut the insurance rates, especially for riders under 25.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

pshonore wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:09 pm I think the high liability risk is for passengers on the scooter. What college kid is going to refuse a pretty young lady as a passenger, and just might actively encourage it. :D
Yes - "might" actively encourage it??
furwut

Post by furwut »

Electric Bike.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Tell him to get a bicycle.

That being said, I had a motorcycle in undergrad. Incredibly dangerous, and insanely fun!

I got into several accidents. The most severe was when I slipped on gravel at night on a dark curve. I was not going fast, but the gravel made me lose traction and I slipped. Luckily, I was wearing a full face helmet. The paint was completed sheared off on one side, but it saved my face.

Make sure he understands the risks!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

The details of what is considered a "motor vehicle" (regarding scooters and similar) vary from state to state. I don't know how insurance is affected but in some states you need a drivers license to drive a scooter on the road, while in others you do not. Years ago, a young man of our acquaintance had some kind of "condition" (not sure whether mental or physical or combination) where he was not able to get a driver's license. So, he (or his parents) got him a scooter and he (fully legally) was able to drive the scooter everywhere - including on streets and roads just like a licensed motorcyclist.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Just to provide some context, I have a 1,500cc motorcycle. Liability coverage is less than $120 / year with a national insurance carrier. I also have auto, renters, and excess liability with the same carrier.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Red Headed Mommy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm Any suggestions I can suggest for him searching for a reasonable rate? I am thinking less of a "big box" insurance company would be better suited for his needs...
I was that age with a brand new 1200cc Harley and a horrible record. Liability was $360/year.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

If there really is no cheaper option with his scooter then I suggest a bicycle or an electric or motorized bicycle.
Point

Post by Point »

Consider enrolling him in a motorcycle safety class. There is a lot to know about lane position, collision avoidance and escape tactics. If this gives you a discounted rate, great. Either way it will be safer for him.

I’ve been riding since I was a teenager- 50 years just about. No accidents.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Don't let him get a scooter. Problem solved. :beer
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Point wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm Consider enrolling him in a motorcycle safety class. There is a lot to know about lane position, collision avoidance and escape tactics. If this gives you a discounted rate, great. Either way it will be safer for him.

I’ve been riding since I was a teenager- 50 years just about. No accidents.
+1 I completely forgot about the motorcycle safety class! I did this a couple years ago, had a great time, and learned so much that I apply each day, whether I'm on my bike or in my car! My state feels this class is so valuable that we provide several incentives: 1) If you pass the class, you don't have to take your test at the DMV and 2) the class is free, paid for by a small surcharge on drivers license renewals. I don't mind the surcharge because it is funding something that I care very deeply about. Everyone should take that class!
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

I can walk 1 mile in about 15 to 20 minutes. If the distance is two miles or less, they should just walk. I assume the student will be transporting books, etc, in a backpack, making the scooter travel a tad more precarious.
queso

Post by queso »

I'm not sure if they operate in your state, but Rider Insurance (www.rider.com) is known to be reasonable for motorcycles so that might be an option. If that doesn't work out maybe try Dairyland or Erie. I've been riding motorcycles most of my life as well as cycling and mountain biking and I'm not convinced one is inherently more dangerous than the other (especially an electric bicycle that goes as fast as a small displacement scooter and is usually operated with zero to minimal protective gear). Fatality rates saw double digit increases for pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists so training and safe operating practices are really important and hard to follow at age 20. It would help if most drivers were actually driving and not texting and updating their FB statuses, but unfortunately that's the world we live in at the moment so you have to expect the worst from everyone on the road. Of all the things I do the scariest one to me is riding my road bicycle on public roads. That's much scarier to me than riding a motorcycle in full gear. I'm pretty fit, but even I can't keep up with traffic flow on 25 mph posted public roads without a tailwind and a favorable downhill grade. Couple that with my bike shorts, jersey and Styrofoam helmet and my chances of getting seriously injured/killed are pretty high if I get mowed down by a vehicle. I know 3 scooter commuters and 2 of them have great safety records (1 is an artist/professor and 1 is a surgeon). The other guy I know has a pretty bad wipeout every couple of years (a software developer). One thing I have noticed with the scooter community is that they generally eschew safety gear. They will wear helmets because it is illegal not to in my state, but other than that they all wear street clothes (or scrubs!). I've asked them about it and they usually cite the hassle factor, discomfort due to heat, etc. and/or the notion that all that gear looks ok on a motorcycle but is overkill/looks stupid on a scooter. Just throwing that out there in case you are going to put a condition on him about wearing full gear. The developer with the multiple wipeouts would not have a scratch on him if he wore safety gear, but because he doesn't he usually ends up scraped up with an occasional ER visit. He's also an aggressive driver/rider and at least 2 of his crashes were because of road rage or slamming on the brakes on salt/gravel. He's in his 50s and even he can't seem to tone it down enough to stop from crashing. :happy