Okay to paint exterior brick?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Okay to paint exterior brick?

Post by unclescrooge »

As I've mentioned before, I'm at the tail end of a major home renovation.

We put new gray stucco on the exterior of the house, and now wondering what to do with this hideous brick. The previous exterior was tex-cote in pale yellow.

We could've just stucco'd over the brick, but that that would've required a city permit/approval so I decide against it.

I'm leaning towards painting it a flat black, and painting the door a pale lime green.

Does anyone with a keen eye think there's anything wrong with this idea? Or can provide other suggestions?

Thanks!
MrNewEngland

Re: Okay to paint exterior brick?

Post by MrNewEngland »

Leave it, brick is awesome.

Brick is also porous so the paint is permanent.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

If you decide to paint brick, be sure you like the color because it will never come off. Finishing the whole thing with stucco would give you a more finished appearance and blend the new and old construction better.
hightower

Post by hightower »

Yes you can paint brick. Contact some local house painters for quotes. It's common practice and they can do a nice job.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

It doesn't look that hideous to me.

TravelforFun
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

MrNewEngland wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm Leave it, brick is awesome.
Agree 100%. After browsing through McMansion Hell (http://mcmansionhell.com/), I've come to appreciate old constructions and brick.

Raw brick is awesome and always looks good. Even in patches like what you have. Painted brick is 'meh'.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Also look at the possibility of doing a German Smear.

IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 pm Also look at the possibility of doing a German Smear
I like this look. Black would be dreadful
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

The brick is cool. I would leave it. Pick up a shade of the red in the brick, just a bit darker, on the trim.
Painted brick is going out of style...and it screams "unwise...just turned a totally maintenance free finish into one that will need to be maintained in perpetuity..."
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I like brick, but not that. What is that, fake slabs of rock embedded in the brick?
I would paint it (although not black), stucco it, or do the German smear.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

stucco the brick
right now it breaks up the lines, even painted, it will be a different pattern that breaks up the lines of the home
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
doneat53

Post by doneat53 »

I'd leave the brick. Painted brick looks terrible.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Painting brick is almost always a bad idea; however I have never seen in my life brick that looked that bad, Stucco over it.
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

soupcxan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 pm You were able to stucco the entire house without a permit, but stucco’ing the brick requires one?
Design changes need to go through a design committee :oops:
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Beware of the hazards of efflorescence when painting brick.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It would be good to play with the photo of the brick in photoshop to see what it will look like when it is painted. With the rocks embedded in the brick there is a very real chance that it will actually look worse after you paint it because the rocks could look odder. At least now with the color contrast it makes visual sense.

Even though putting stucco over it it would require the approval of some sort of design committee I would think that they would easily approve that change.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm
soupcxan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 pm You were able to stucco the entire house without a permit, but stucco’ing the brick requires one?
Design changes need to go through a design committee :oops:
What was the previous siding on the house? One would think changing to stucco would require the same "design committee".

When are you going to put the finish color on stucco :D

I agree with others, don't paint the brick as you will have to maintain it (ie paint it) going forward. I like the brick with the stucco but would not have chosen the grey stucco. To each their own.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
snowox

Post by snowox »

What about doing a vertical Board and Batten siding overlay over it of a different color to act as an accent. Would also give you a different texture and the ability of a different color so it doesn't get to boring. Certainteed makes some good materials for this application. Sinc :idea:
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I would go through the trouble of getting a permit to cover it to match the rest of the house. I doubt the request would be denied. If you really don't want to go to the trouble, you could paint it to match the stucco. If you paint it any other color, it will only draw attention to it.

The mix of materials is not the most attractive, but you do have other brick trim, and if other houses in the neighborhood have similar mixed veneer, you might consider just accepting it for what it is and leaving it alone.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Get the permit and stucco the brick. Aside from paint not being a great idea for brick, the brick pattern will still be obvious.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 pm As I've mentioned before, I'm at the tail end of a major home renovation.

We put new gray stucco on the exterior of the house, and now wondering what to do with this hideous brick. The previous exterior was tex-cote in pale yellow.

We could've just stucco'd over the brick, but that that would've required a city permit/approval so I decide against it.

I'm leaning towards painting it a flat black, and painting the door a pale lime green.

Does anyone with a keen eye think there's anything wrong with this idea? Or can provide other suggestions?

Thanks!
Because painting brick means it cannot then breathe, it is not to be recommended.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

How about pressure washing it to make it look clean and new, it wont cost much and it may look better when cleaned.
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

snowox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am What about doing a vertical Board and Batten siding overlay over it of a different color to act as an accent. Would also give you a different texture and the ability of a different color so it doesn't get to boring. Certainteed makes some good materials for this application. Sinc :idea:
I'm unfamiliar with this. Can you provide a picture please?
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 am
Because painting brick means it cannot then breathe, it is not to be recommended.
Why does brick need to breathe? I live in Southern California, so it's not like we have high humidity levels.

Also, what's wrong with brick mummification? :mrgreen:
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

parsi1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am How about pressure washing it to make it look clean and new, it wont cost much and it may look better when cleaned.
That's a consideration. But the stones embedded in the brick are yellow. I don't think those will change, and they definitely don't match.
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am I would go through the trouble of getting a permit to cover it to match the rest of the house. I doubt the request would be denied. If you really don't want to go to the trouble, you could paint it to match the stucco. If you paint it any other color, it will only draw attention to it.

The mix of materials is not the most attractive, but you do have other brick trim, and if other houses in the neighborhood have similar mixed veneer, you might consider just accepting it for what it is and leaving it alone.
Yes, several houses have just painted over it. Their brick is uniform - i have bizarre yellow flagstones embedded in it...apparently that was cutting edge in 1969.
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am I would go through the trouble of getting a permit to cover it to match the rest of the house. I doubt the request would be denied. If you really don't want to go to the trouble, you could paint it to match the stucco. If you paint it any other color, it will only draw attention to it.

mouses wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm Painting brick is almost always a bad idea; however I have never seen in my life brick that looked that bad, Stucco over it.
Ruger wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:40 pm I like brick, but not that. What is that, fake slabs of rock embedded in the brick?
I would paint it (although not black), stucco it, or do the German smear.
dbr wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am Get the permit and stucco the brick. Aside from paint not being a great idea for brick, the brick pattern will still be obvious.
I considered the german smear or whitewash, but i'm not sure if those yellow flagstones will take the whitewash.

Stucco-ing over it is definitely a consideration, but I saw this link with a mix of black and gray and thought it wouldn't look too bad.

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/black- ... int-picks/

Thanks everyone for your responses! Even for non-financial topics, I've found this forum is so much better than topic-specific boards like Houzz!!!
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

How about covering it with cedar siding. I like the look. Examples here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/462463455465805856/
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Mlm wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm How about covering it with cedar siding. I like the look. Examples here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/462463455465805856/
Yes!
Although it looks expensive. What tradesperson would do this? A carpenter, a masonary, or just a general handyman?
fposte

Post by fposte »

I'm actually fine with a lot of painted brick (I grew up in a house with beautiful whitewashed brick)--I think the flagstones here are the problem, and they're going to look even weirder in black. I vote for approval and full stucco-ing or else covering it with siding.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

The problem with painting brick is you need to repaint it.

If I did paint it, I would probably paint it the same color as the stucco.

JT
snowox

Post by snowox »

New to this so I couldn't figure out how to download a picture. Here are several pictures of both Board and Batten used as accent and over whole house. Very nice look imho.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Board+a ... Yd4X0_9x8M:
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

snowox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 pm New to this so I couldn't figure out how to download a picture. Here are several pictures of both Board and Batten used as accent and over whole house. Very nice look imho.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Board+a ... Yd4X0_9x8M:
Thanks! very helfpul!
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

To cover your brick, the wood accent siding as suggested by Mim, either cedar or redwood, looks very good with your gray stucco, IMHO, and is quite common in SoCal. I am considering the same thing. Who would do it? I would use my contractor as I trust her to do it right.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Thanks everyone that responded.

Just wanted to let you know I decided to paint the brick a flat black and I'm extremely happy with the results.

Here's the before and after pictures:

Yes, the weird flagstones in the brick are visible, but unless you're really trying to look for them they just recede into the black. It turned out much better than I expected.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Wow! I have never seen a brick and flagstone combo! It was hideous, IMHO! I think most anything you could have done with the areas would have been an improvement.

I have a brick home, and I think it is beautiful, but I see why you did what you did. I just can't fathom why the original builder would have done what they did! :confused

Very strange sight. I've always thought that brick was timeless, but that design was an abomination. :shock:

Looks much better!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:32 pm Wow! I have never seen a brick and flagstone combo! It was hideous, IMHO! I think most anything you could have done with the areas would have been an improvement.

I have a brick home, and I think it is beautiful, but I see why you did what you did. I just can't fathom why the original builder would have done what they did! :confused

Very strange sight. I've always thought that brick was timeless, but that design was an abomination. :shock:

Looks much better!

Broken Man 1999
I love brick houses, but this was truly, indescribably hideous.
When we bought it, it was an awful dirty yellow, with rusted bars on all the windows.

Happy to report that it's now quite beautiful. While brick should never be painted, this truly was an exception to the rule.
samtex

Post by samtex »

MrNewEngland wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm Leave it, brick is awesome.

Brick is also porous so the paint is permanent.
Well, yes and no...

Ross Perot purchased his childhood home many years ago and a previous owner had painted the brick home. He wanted it restored to the original look. When he asked a contractor if he could remove the decades old paint, he was told it couldn't be done.

He thought about it and then said to remove all the brick and then turn each brick around and use the back side.
Of course in his case, cost wasn't a concern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 8c2bd052b3

Samtex
mix

Post by mix »

What color are you going to paint the front door?