Medicare Bills driving me crazy

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Good Listener

Medicare Bills driving me crazy

Post by Good Listener » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:05 pm

First, you folks helped guide me setting up EZ pay of my Medicare premiums (automatic debit of premiums) because I haven't yet started taking social security. Thank you!!

My first premium was for Nov 2017 and the ACH actually happened on Oct 20 as expected. That monthly statement for Nov 2017 said "not a bill" meaning ACH was set up... Great. But it was only for the base part B amount of 134 and did not include the Part B IRMAA, which I had been previously informed about Well, as Medicare told me when asked, the Part B IRMAA for November indeed was added to the December statement that i just got, along with regular part B for December plus the part B Irmaa for December 2017. And the total was right, although they didnt explain how they got to it. Fair enough. Great..... I filed it away. But something bothered me and I looked at the bill again. It did not say " this is not a bill". It said "First part B bill". Huh?

I called Medicare and they said yes I should pay it. (I wrote a check to mail) Why did it change? First he said the amount was too big for ACH ($723.20). I said did that mean I would have to write checks forever? He backtracked. I then asked about the Part D Irmaa. Why wasn't nt that get taken out? He didnt know. But, he said the Jan 2018 bill would have the Part D Irmaa for Nov and Dec. BUT NOT FOR JANUARY. NOR WOULD THE JANUARY BILL HAVE THE PART B IRMAA FOR JANUARY. Why? Apparently it hasn't been determined yet. Huh?

I asked at the end will I ever get returned to ACH. He said yes. This is nuts. Has anybody else had this weirdness?