Does Retirement Make You Lazier?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TravelforFun

Does Retirement Make You Lazier?

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm semi-retired. I began working three days a week starting last year and laziness has crept into me. When I was working full time, I came home and worked around the house most evenings and in the yard every weekend. Now I don't want to take the lawnmower out of the garage anymore, I've hired people to clean our home, do the yard work, and change my car engine oil. I hang around Starbucks way too much on my days off and I spend too much time on forums and social media. I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money. On the positive side, my life is less stressful and I'm healthier now because I excercise more and eat better... but that darn laziness.

I hate to think what would happen to me when I'm fully retired.

Retirees, what's your experience?

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

jebmke

Re: Does Retirement Make You Lazier?

Post by jebmke » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm
I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money.
I think you answered your own question.

I stay pretty busy doing volunteer work. I never liked doing stuff around the house and I still don't.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:43 pm

You can stand in for me at work if you want. I'll cut your grass.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 pm

I was going to answer your question but I decided that it can wait until tomorrow.
Reality has a way of catching up with you

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm

It can. I find myself rising later, lingering over a coffee while I peruse the news. Chores seem more chore-like than they used to. My kids and grandkids tend to need a helping hand on occasion and unfortunately doctor visits tend to fill up the calendar too much. It takes awhile but you can easily vegetate if you don't have things to focus on.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
It takes a while to get settled in to retirement. Everyone's experience is different. Yours will work for you. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for me, I'm exercising more, losing weight, playing with the grand kids, and traveling more - and a few other things. Never had time to do that before retirement.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

If you are exercising more, eating right, sleeping enough and feeling good, then you are doing exactly the right thing. Get your exercise through exercise, not being busy.

You are now a "human being" instead of a "human doing". Something like that.

Being busy for busy sake with projects isn't going to be one of my requirements.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Post by 2015 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 pm

RadAudit wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
It takes a while to get settled in to retirement. Everyone's experience is different. Yours will work for you. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for me, I'm exercising more, losing weight, playing with the grand kids, and traveling more - and a few other things. Never had time to do that before retirement.
+1
Sound advice.

Personally, much busier than when I was working, but now working on making this phase of my life the best. Each day gets better and better. More fulfilled. More certain. More grounded. More content (at least when I'm not working on ACA enrollment!).

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:45 pm

I was lazy when I was a working stiff.

Now that I'm retired, there aren't enough hours in the day.

So much to do. It's awesome.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 pm

If,...... If there is any greater laziness in me it's because I'm older, not because I'm retired. :happy

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 pm

I feel so totally stressed at times that it takes me many days after the start of a vacation to even begin to relax. I can easily envision doing as little as possible for weeks or months after I first retire. That said however I have so many things I have wanted to be involved in for years but because of my j*b I had no time or bandwidth. But that will change in 2018. :mrgreen:

So many people I know that have retired say that they wonder how they ever found time to work. After an initial period of decompression alluded to above I can easily see I will be very busy as well...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm

It doesn't make me lazier, except for putting on pants.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm

If not making money, why should you be busy? I love to be lazy.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 pm

No, retirement has made me more active. I do all that stuff you outsource and more. I spend regular time at the gym, and hiking, biking, etc. I have many friends and socialize often (almost never did when working except work related which is not the same). My overall physical and mental health is much better. Moving to a 55+ active adult community has facilitated much of the improvement because the activities, facilities and like-minded people are all readily accessible. It's been nearly 15 years and I've enjoyed every minute of retirement.

Edit: To me working was doing what I needed to do. Retirement is doing what I choose to do. The doing hasn't stopped just the reason behind it. I'd much rather do what I choose to do.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:38 pm

1210sda wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 pm
If,...... If there is any greater laziness in me it's because I'm older, not because I'm retired. :happy

Yes,That's the reason.
All the Best, | Joe

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Before I retired a typical work day would be;

40 minute drive to work.
Sit on a desk all day
40 minute drive home

It would be hard to have a lower retirement activity level than that.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm

I guess we need to agree on what the word “lazy” means. But I doubt that it would apply to most retirees. Having control over your time and doing only what you want to do, is the number one benefit of retirement, in my view. Especially having more time for fitness and other activities. I guess if you are sitting around watching daytime TV..... ? Couch potato may be a good investment strategy but it’s a lousy retirement strategy.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes, the less I work, the less I want to work. I work part time but I'm ambivalent and could quit any time. I have afternoons off and mainly vegetate.

Most the things I wanted to do I did in my 50s and got burnt out. I mean biking, skiing, politics, volunteering, music, travel. I can't think of anything else to do now.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm

My parents retired a few years ago. They were both overweight to the point of being obese. I remember that the normal ritual of coming home after work was eating a pizza or something together and then sitting in front of the TV for the rest of the night.

They retired and something switched in them. They got super into cooking healthy and do a lot of hiking/walking. The both volunteer for what they want to do and when they want to do it. They travel a lot.

It’s pretty phenomenal to see them. They’re not just different physically (they’ve lost so much weight) but also different in general. They’re attitude are awesome now and they’re just more chipper and happier people.

YMMV but I couldn’t be prouder of my folks.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:56 pm

My retirement days vary considerably.
On a fair weather sunny day, I might do a bike ride for a few hours.
And I spend more time cutting logs nowadays than when working full-time.
But on average, I think I'm more lazy now. It's a good life...
Attempted new signature...

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 pm

No. I was already lazy.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

lws

Post by lws » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I have gotten lazy doing chores. I do what I want to do when I feel like doing it.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm not permanently retired, but am "temporarily retired", between jobs, taking care of teenage kids and other sundry tasks.

I have to get up to take kids to school. Then I do things, but kind of at my own pace. Do some things I had been putting off (and some of those things become fodder for BH threads!).

Joined a gym, rarely go, been meaning to get back into that.

The days just kind of run together, unlike during work when your life was on a weekly work schedule. Kids at school do provide some structure. Sooner or later I'll be back at work but my job search definitely meets the definition of "lazy". Letting DW bring home the bacon for a while.

Spend too much time here (I kind of get addicted to message boards, but at least here I learn a lot).

My dad has been retired for 20+ years. Sleeps late, makes his lunch, reads paper and magazine, and the mid afternoon starts to tackle miscellaneous chores, nothing major (major is outsourced). Manages his finances (all manual/paper). He does religiously work out 3 times per week.

I kind of expect this is what my eventual retirement will look like. Sure, I want to travel some, but I suspect that will be reasonably limited. Don't know if I will do volunteer work...I kind of doubt it.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't know that retirement has made me lazier, but it gives me more time to be lazy ... without guilt. If I get a lot done in any given day, great. If I don't, that's great, too. I volunteer, but not as much as I thought I would. I'm very good at guarding my "me" time, and I like a lot of "me" time. I'm definitely NOT one of those people who says they are busier since they retired. And I'm glad of that. :D :D :D

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm
My parents retired a few years ago. They were both overweight to the point of being obese. I remember that the normal ritual of coming home after work was eating a pizza or something together and then sitting in front of the TV for the rest of the night.

They retired and something switched in them. They got super into cooking healthy and do a lot of hiking/walking. The both volunteer for what they want to do and when they want to do it. They travel a lot.

It’s pretty phenomenal to see them. They’re not just different physically (they’ve lost so much weight) but also different in general. They’re attitude are awesome now and they’re just more chipper and happier people.

YMMV but I couldn’t be prouder of my folks.
Great story MrNE.

TravelforFun

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:19 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
I'm semi-retired. I began working three days a week starting last year and laziness has crept into me. When I was working full time, I came home and worked around the house most evenings and in the yard every weekend. Now I don't want to take the lawnmower out of the garage anymore, I've hired people to clean our home, do the yard work, and change my car engine oil. I hang around Starbucks way too much on my days off and I spend too much time on forums and social media. I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money. On the positive side, my life is less stressful and I'm healthier now because I excercise more and eat better... but that dawn laziness.

TravelforFun
Perhaps redefine "laziness" to:
Well earned rest.
Rehabilitation and recovery from years on the hamster wheel.
A state of inner peace, simply being.
The taste of "freedom".
Contentment.
What retirement feels like. "Brave New World".
"Finding Waldo. . . . "
:D

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 pm

When I was working, I was busy doing busy work for money.
Now at retirement, I work out 1-1.5 hrs a day, work on my art that is making me happy.
Spend time with my wife, travel that makes both of us happy, so many new discoveries.
Little lazier? maybe. Much less stress and happier YES!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Nope.

But it does give you the opportunity to be lazier if that is your tendency.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Not lazier but we're in no rush to do anything, except to go on the next vacation!

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Definitely lazy but in a good way. I signed up for activities everyday, but I don’t have to go if I don’t feel like. I think it’s also important to have a regular social interactions with other people now that we are retired, it’s good for our well being. So we have bridge every Monday, badminton every Tuesday and Thursday. We see the same people for months.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Some great answers here. There is a lot of confusion in this area because most grew up in an era where the concept/idea/meaning of both "work" and "retirement" were rigidly defined and narrowly draw cultural clichés that were primarily 1950s anachronisms.

In my view retirement today means being financially able to stop working for money to live, and then at that point choosing to do something else with your time, energy, and effort going forward. In my working life I mostly sat at a desk or in meetings 50 hours a week - it was often mentally taxing but at work I was completely inert. After work I semi-regularly exercised but never enough to stay fit as I got older.

Now in retirement I spend a lot of time on hobbies, house projects, volunteer work, playing and exercise - most of it involves being very physically and socially active.

For some retirement means lots of quiet time, reading, writing, just zoning out, while others are extremely active. I think it is important to make the effort and think hard about finding your own path. For each person lucky enough to "retire" in good enough health and wise enough to mindfully think about their next move(s), hopefully the choices made will open some great doors to a better life.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 pm
Some great answers here. There is a lot of confusion in this area because most grew up in an era where the concept/idea/meaning of both "work" and "retirement" were rigidly defined and narrowly draw cultural clichés that were primarily 1950s anachronisms.

In my view retirement today means being financially able to stop working for money to live, and then at that point choosing to do something else with your time, energy, and effort going forward. In my working life I mostly sat at a desk or in meetings 50 hours a week - it was often mentally taxing but at work I was completely inert. After work I semi-regularly exercised but never enough to stay fit as I got older.

Now in retirement I spend a lot of time on hobbies, house projects, volunteer work, playing and exercise - most of it involves being very physically and socially active.

For some retirement means lots of quiet time, reading, writing, just zoning out, while others are extremely active. I think it is important to make the effort and think hard about finding your own path. For each person lucky enough to "retire" in good enough health and wise enough to mindfully think about their next move(s), hopefully the choices made will open some great doors to a better life.
Wonderfully composed.
Thanks.
j :D

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Mostly :confused .
Now I have to mow the field that I used to have in blackberries :annoyed . And it is also costing me money :oops:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Not retired yet, but certainly hoping to become lazier when I do retire.

I've never been a morning person, and I can't wait to get rid of my alarm clock and sleep later.

And after years of most of my waking hours being overscheduled and rushing to meet deadlines, I love the idea of being able to decide I just don't feel like doing something, and then not doing it.

digarei

Post by digarei » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:17 am

in a post two years ago, entitled ‘to sleep, perchance to dream’, I wrote: . . . .
Having abandoned or suppressed much of the idealism and drive that launched my career, I learned that habit and feigned indifference were requisite to a politically acceptable and emotionally uneventful finale. I fear the death of the person I was.  What dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil?. . . next month
. . .
I'm not dead yet. There's the nub, the difference. I'm alive!—a distinction I can celebrate almost any day I want with a cup of coffee, a little cream and sugar. It is a salve for conscience and good resolve.

I fear the lethargy and melancholy and quiet aimlessness of a wednesday morning, post-terminus, at home in my office, perusing internet news I wouldn't have taken time to read six months before. Skipping the morning walk or bike ride because my pants are "all the way in the other room" or "not where I put them"—but I'll try to remember where they are and put them on before going to Lowes after lunch or before dinner to get a pole saw to cut the branch I noticed last month hanging over the shed--which really needs cleaning out (but not today because, baby it's cold outside) and the shrub needs trimming again... and in the vast silence of ten o'clock a-m, I am dozing ... and remembering: ~ the endless meetings and busy-work, the deadlines that I and others made up out of whole cloth, overspending and mis-managing, atriums and hallways, bajillions of cubicles, conference rooms and doughnuts, the people... and there I am!—looking so smart and confident, if over-dressed in banker's drag, I'm gesturing, talking to faces that are nodding and smiling in reply. (I am thinking that I must be very good ... )

I wince, then awaken.
  • To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, 
    And thus the native hue of resolution 
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought.

Well, the face in the mirror tells me not to worry too much about this stuff... and he's usually right.

Yet, I'm afraid some here will think I have wasted their time. ;)

. . . .
Two years out I’m pleased to report that the reality of retirement hasn’t been as dreary as I’d feared... but I’m a far more effective procrastinator now. I am discovering that having a part-time avocation is not enough motivation for me. The recommendation from so many to focus on getting exercise and creating structure is a good one but I still haven’t gotten the hang of it.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:31 am

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:43 pm
You can stand in for me at work if you want. I'll cut your grass.
ROFL
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am

I am not retired. However, in addition to many years spent working I have spent quite a few years not working as well. I did not find myself to be lazy in either of those instances. However, the times in which I have worked only part time I found myself to be quite lazy with the extra time.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 am

When I was working full-time, I had limited chances to get my personal stuff done, only evenings and weekends. And the evenings were short because I usually got home around 7 PM so by the time I rested up and ate dinner it was 8 PM. By 11:30 it was lights out, leaving me only 3 1/2 hours to do personal stuff and that was only indoor stuff at home, not errands. Then I had weekends and that time was limited due to the times stores were open (and crowded). I couldn't be to lazy or else I'd run out of time.

Once I began working part-time in 2001, I had more freedom to do all of my personal stuff, both indoors and outside errands. With many tasks, if I didn't do them today, I could do them tomorrow. If that made me lazy, then so be it!

Now fully retired since late 2008, I don't have any work time to interfere with getting my own stuff done. YAY!

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:46 am

It is all about time. You were not busy when you worked, you just had time compression. Shop, exercise, family. all that had to be compressed into the time "not at work". So now with retirement, there is no time compression. Now you are in possession of 40+ hours a week extra.
Don't know if you can call it laziness any more than you could call your working years as frantic. You settle into the groove. It takes time and those of a type A personality may not ever get into the new life. They will feel compelled to do things all day long.
Is there a word that is the antithesis of lazy? Yes, there is. It is "hardworking".
On top of that there is a value judgement related to both those words, mostly value judgement is defined by the hardworking.
Sounds biased to me.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 am

The older I get, the more I want to do in the yard, the house and volunteer; and the more I want to give to charities because I have earned more than I care to spend for normal expenses.
Retirement is great.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Post by 2015 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Wonderfully composed.
Thanks.
j :D
I agree. Just a wonderful post, and captures my overall feelings as well (although I never allowed anything to compromise my diet/exercise regimen since the age of 20).

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 pm
Not lazier but we're in no rush to do anything, except to go on the next vacation!
+1

I’m not sure why, but perhaps when working you know you have limited time to get things done around the house. So whenever home, you make sure you tend to those things. When retired, you have unlimited time to get things done. As a result, few things seem urgent anymore.

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:23 pm

I was in an extremely busy job in which I ran constantly, sometimes literal running, from one situation to the next. Weekends we tried to have fun one day but had to get groceries, do laundry, yard work and clean on the other. My husband being in an equally high pressure job, we were just exhausted all the time. So, in comparison, yes I feel lazy. I never sat, now I sit too much, but we now have weekends free for fun since I'm now able to keep the chores done during the week. I love to cook, so we are eating much more healthfully now. My brain feels a bit sluggish - I do read a lot and have hobbies, but I am missing being more challenged, so am going back to work in my previous career 2 days a week. I've been retired since June, I guess I'm still adjusting!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am

TravelforFun wrote:
I'm semi-retired. I began working three days a week starting last year and laziness has crept into me. When I was working full time, I came home and worked around the house most evenings and in the yard every weekend. Now I don't want to take the lawnmower out of the garage anymore, I've hired people to clean our home, do the yard work, and change my car engine oil. I hang around Starbucks way too much on my days off and I spend too much time on forums and social media. I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money. On the positive side, my life is less stressful and I'm healthier now because I excercise more and eat better... but that darn laziness.

TravelforFun
My theory is that it is not retirement that makes one lazy, it is laziness that makes one decide to retire. Please, this is not meant to offend, just to suggest that when one’s physical and cognitive energies are reduced, one is more likely to consider retirement.

burt

Post by burt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 pm

My 85 year old Father -In-Law mentioned that he is always busy because it takes him longer to do things. :happy

burt

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:21 pm

TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
When I was still working, I was wasting some of my weekend time and was concerned that I might waste my time in retirement, too. Fortunately, that has not happened. I attribute this to several factors:
1. I densely plan travel and local activities, and my calendar is as full as when I was working. Of course, now it's full of the activities that I want to do and I do them on my own terms.
2. I have not had a TV since 2008, and I am particularly happy that in retirement I don't have to resist or give in to its seduction.
3. I have some ambitious projects.

I am not 100% efficient and keep investigating new tools to improve my focus and productivity. For example, I knew about the value of mindfulness but did not practice it. At the Bogleheads meeting in Philadelphia a few weeks ago, I talked with someone who has convinced me to try it again. It seems that every time I practice mindfulness for a few minutes, my efficiency improves that day.

Good luck,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:41 pm

I've been semi-retired 10 years, I could fully retire, but my business is home based, so I can do with as time permits. I find myself fly fishing now as I had no time for it before. I tore the tag off my new fly fishing vest and boots this years, yet I've had them for years. It's upland bird season and I have time to chase Grouse around the woods. Do I get bored, well no I'm often amazed at how time flies by. Perhaps you need more hobbies or should consider volunteering. I did that for 15 years with three organizations and found it fulfilling. Take time to think about what you really want out of the rest of your life, is it sitting at Starbucks on your Laptop?

skatterZ

Post by skatterZ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Drive slower
Nothing to be late for.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Everyone is different and some people need to fill every minute of every day with worthwhile,challenging experiences and some are happy laying on the beach.How ever you were before you retired is probably close to what you are retired.
I read some posts from people who volunteer 20 hours a week,are learning 2 languages,developing new skills like carpentry or whatever and of course traveling to exotic locals and immersing themselves in new cultures.It makes me feel like I am failing at life until I realize comparing yourself to someone else and what makes them happy is pointless.
When you are old enough to retire you are going to be who you are.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Well, let's see.

Since last retiring a couple of years ago, I have done the following, all without anyone paying me to do them (other than a small advance on the book):

1. Written retirement income analysis software and a book to go with it. The software development included a few 100-hour weeks.
2. Spent about 1000 hours on a programming library that I've been developing for the last 40 years, on and off. I think I finally have it pretty much the way I want it. :D
3. Invented a new interpretation of quantum mechanics and a philosophy derived from it.

Which is a lot more than I have done in any prior 2 year period.

So I guess the answer is "no". :mrgreen:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.