Does Retirement Make You Lazier?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
VictoriaF

Re: Does Retirement Make You Lazier?

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Cruise wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am
My theory is that it is not retirement that makes one lazy, it is laziness that makes one decide to retire. Please, this is not meant to offend, just to suggest that when one’s physical and cognitive energies are reduced, one is more likely to consider retirement.
This is an astute observation with an important caveat that "retirement" is defined as retirement from any productive activities.

It is not, or it does not have to be, true when "retirement" is defined as leaving formal employment after one reaches financial independence. My own role model is a 19th century English gentleman who has reliable income and dedicates his life to independent research in science, philosophy, or literature. I have adopted this model after reading about it in Taleb's "The Black Swan." Taleb himself has retired in his middle 20s after he has become financially independent in October 1987. In the 30 years since his retirement, Taleb was one of the most productive and influential people. The fact that he was not accountable to any employer made him even more effective.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm
Well, let's see.

Since last retiring a couple of years ago, I have done the following, all without anyone paying me to do them (other than a small advance on the book):

1. Written retirement income analysis software and a book to go with it. The software development included a few 100-hour weeks.
2. Spent about 1000 hours on a programming library that I've been developing for the last 40 years, on and off. I think I finally have it pretty much the way I want it. :D
3. Invented a new interpretation of quantum mechanics and a philosophy derived from it.

Which is a lot more than I have done in any prior 2 year period.

So I guess the answer is "no". :mrgreen:
Great accomplishments!

In the first three years after retirement, I have done a lot of traveling and learning. Now I am switching to producing something tangible. (And thank you for your comment about blogging.)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Levett

Post by Levett » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Joke:

Spouse to retired spouse: "What are you going to do today?"

Retired spouse responds: "Nothing."

Spouse replies: "You did that yesterday."

Retired spouse retorts: "I didn't finish!"

:D

Lev

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm
I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money.
I think you answered your own question.

I stay pretty busy doing volunteer work. I never liked doing stuff around the house and I still don't.
+1

When we were in the north working, for months on end I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. Sometimes in late fall when we'd had a rainy or busy weekend, I'd be mowing or raking in the dark. Yeah, I don't do that any more.

As someone else wrote, drive to work, sit at a desk, sit in meetings, drive home isn't exactly a healthy lifestyle. I walk a couple of miles a day now. I read the paper while it's still morning. We volunteer at least two days a week, more in tax season, but a volunteer day is maybe six hours instead of ten.

If that's lazy, that's me.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Well, since it gives you more time to be lazy it might seem like it makes you lazier. Me, somethings never change; I still yell at stupid drivers and I get anxious when my plate starts getting full or I want to go somewhere when I know traffic is going to be bad. Now I get get to be the old guy driving in front of you just barely going the speed limit while you want to speed up to try to fit more time in your day, I'm just trying to save money on gas. My goal might be to get home so I can take my nap because I'm feeling sleepy - I don't really care what your goal is nor you mine. Pass me if you can just please don't tailgate.
If I am stupid I will pay.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 pm
technovelist wrote:
Well, let's see.

Since last retiring a couple of years ago, I have done the following, all without anyone paying me to do them (other than a small advance on the book):

1. Written retirement income analysis software and a book to go with it. The software development included a few 100-hour weeks.
2. Spent about 1000 hours on a programming library that I've been developing for the last 40 years, on and off. I think I finally have it pretty much the way I want it. :D
3. Invented a new interpretation of quantum mechanics and a philosophy derived from it.

Which is a lot more than I have done in any prior 2 year period.

So I guess the answer is "no". :mrgreen:
Great accomplishments!

In the first three years after retirement, I have done a lot of traveling and learning. Now I am switching to producing something tangible. (And thank you for your comment about blogging.)

Victoria
You're quite welcome!
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

boomer

Post by boomer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 am

It sounds to me like you are just tired of taking care of the yard and cleaning the house. These might be interesting for some but maybe since you have done them for so many years they are mundane now. I don't think it's "lazy" to outsource these if you have the budget. Sounds like you are enjoying hanging out. This is what a lot of young people do as much as they can, and they don't consider themselves lazy. ;) It's ok to play again when you hit retirement age.

jpdion

Post by jpdion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 am

"Lazy" is a pejorative term usually pointed at other people thought to not be pulling their weight for the money they are being paid. The context is one of working. Retirement is a different context. In retirement one can approach daily life in the manner one chooses. So if you are more comfortable with "busy," be busy. If you like to take things slower, great. There is no independent entity judging the worth of your approach to retirement. Enjoy retirement in the way that feels good to you.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:49 am

With me it's been a combination of a bit lazier but I've turned into a world class procrastinator. When I was working, I HAD to get things done and was very productive. Now that I'm retired, I've been gripped the the "mañana syndrome". If I don't get it done today, there's always mañana !

DazedandConfused

Post by DazedandConfused » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 am

This has been my dilemma, I am single - 70 and still working. I thrive off the interaction and challenge of work. I have worked 52 straight years, but I know there will come a time to retire. I am going to try to transition into a gym rat before I retire because I really have no hobbies, and I have been an on and off again health nut my whole life. TV bores me unless the History or National Geographic are running something good. I have had periods like when I was laid up with bunion surgery and I was bored to death. I am planning for retirement by considering things that will keep me active. 8-)
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." Groucho

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:06 am

Well, I still get up each morning about the same time as I did before I retired, but I confess that retirement has made me a bit lazier. I occupy my days being a house-husband (DW will be working another two years), doing the cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, et cetera. To my credit, I will say that I have yet to turn on the television during the day. But I do seem to spend too much time in front of the computer, a bad habit I've recently tried to trade off for more time at the YMCA. You're absolutely right that such laziness is insidious.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:33 am

jpdion wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 am
"Lazy" is a pejorative term usually pointed at other people thought to not be pulling their weight for the money they are being paid. The context is one of working. Retirement is a different context. In retirement one can approach daily life in the manner one chooses. So if you are more comfortable with "busy," be busy. If you like to take things slower, great. There is no independent entity judging the worth of your approach to retirement. Enjoy retirement in the way that feels good to you.
Agree. What exactly does “lazy” mean in the context of retirement?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 am

I sure hope so.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am

I think it comes down to personal motivation, regardless if you're working full time or not. For me, setting goals and tracking progress is a big help to get out of a lazy routine. (Lose x amount of weight, read y number of books, learn z skill.)

There's an entire forum on reddit dedicated to motivation.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

technovelist wrote:
I would be very interested to hear about it, possibly in PM?

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm
I'm semi-retired. I began working three days a week starting last year and laziness has crept into me. When I was working full time, I came home and worked around the house most evenings and in the yard every weekend. Now I don't want to take the lawnmower out of the garage anymore, I've hired people to clean our home, do the yard work, and change my car engine oil. I hang around Starbucks way too much on my days off and I spend too much time on forums and social media. I don't want to volunteer... I prefer to send charities money. On the positive side, my life is less stressful and I'm healthier now because I excercise more and eat better... but that darn laziness.

I hate to think what would happen to me when I'm fully retired.

Retirees, what's your experience?

TravelforFun
IMO, semi-retired is a very long way from fully-retired. Three days a week is still working at a job. My brief semi-retired experience was that dropping back to 3 days a week wasn't at all like my eventual full retirement. The worst part was I had to do the same amount of the less pleasant parts of my old job like meetings and compliance training in 3 instead of 5 days, so the work day was not so fun as before. Plus, you still think about it 24-7! This only lasted about a year before I had enough of only "semi-retirement".

I'll bet once you are fully retired you won't be so "lazy". I admit retired is less work for me than work was but I don't feel lazy. Now I happily help DW with the cleaning and do much of the yard work that I never had time for before. It's very relaxing pulling a few weeds in the morning!
JW
Retired at Last

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am

Vulcan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am
technovelist wrote:
I love private placements, long shots with high ERs.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

tomander

Post by tomander » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am

Old age make you less energetic.
Less hormones, arthritis, other ailments.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 am

Vulcan wrote:
technovelist wrote:
You have a PM. Thanks for your interest!

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:52 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am
Vulcan wrote:
technovelist wrote:
I love private placements, long shots with high ERs.
It's pretty hard to go too far wrong when there is virtually no expense other than one's time!

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Cruise wrote:
My theory is that it is not retirement that makes one lazy, it is laziness that makes one decide to retire. Please, this is not meant to offend, just to suggest that when one’s physical and cognitive energies are reduced, one is more likely to consider retirement.
This is an astute observation with an important caveat that "retirement" is defined as retirement from any productive activities.

It is not, or it does not have to be, true when "retirement" is defined as leaving formal employment after one reaches financial independence. My own role model is a 19th century English gentleman who has reliable income and dedicates his life to independent research in science, philosophy, or literature. I have adopted this model after reading about it in Taleb's "The Black Swan." Taleb himself has retired in his middle 20s after he has become financially independent in October 1987. In the 30 years since his retirement, Taleb was one of the most productive and influential people. The fact that he was not accountable to any employer made him even more effective.

Victoria
I would respectfully say that one is not retired simply because they quit working for someone and continue to produce on their own.I would say you are retired when you no longer make an income that is not passive.Someone like technovelist,assuming he is not making income on his 100 hour weeks is technically retired,I guess,but is he really?Then again,it is just a broad generalized word and it is up to the individual to define.Technovelist may be retired but he is working harder than a first year lawyer or physician.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:37 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Cruise wrote:

Victoria
I would respectfully say that one is not retired simply because they quit working for someone and continue to produce on their own.I would say you are retired when you no longer make an income that is not passive.Someone like technovelist,assuming he is not making income on his 100 hour weeks is technically retired,I guess,but is he really?Then again,it is just a broad generalized word and it is up to the individual to define.Technovelist may be retired but he is working harder than a first year lawyer or physician.
Actually those insane hours were only for about a month when I could feel how close I was to getting my project working and wanted to prove that it was actually feasible. Once I demonstrated that to my satisfaction, I reduced my working hours to something more reasonable.

And although I haven't made any significant income from that project yet, I do intend to monetize it one way or another. So it's really more like a self-funded startup than being retired.

markes

Post by markes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Yes! But in a good way! :happy

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm

In statistics, I think age would be what's called a "confounding variable" in that people who get older are more likely to retire and are also more likely to have decreased physical stamina.

I'm a recently retired 56-year-old who (thankfully) is still pretty energetic physically, so maybe I'm a good test case. Has retirement made me lazier? Perhaps, but I think it's more that the guilt I used to feel if I was spending time on something fun but unproductive is *gone*. From 1994 to 2017, I had a faculty job with varying amounts of research expectations (depending on how much commitment I had to administrative duties). I never felt as if I was spending "enough" time on research; I tried various strategies to incorporate dedicated time for research, never with complete success.

I really started to feel retired in late July, when I'd usually be digging into the process of making fall teaching assignments and wondering how I had let more than half of the summer slip away. This year, no guilt!

One thing I've noticed is that retirement has made me more patient. One of my biggest pet peeves used to be when people would waste my time needlessly--it doesn't bother me so much now.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm

it has not made me lazier. It's very satisfying to expend one's energy on one's own projects.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm

MandyT wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm
One thing I've noticed is that retirement has made me more patient. One of my biggest pet peeves used to be when people would waste my time needlessly--it doesn't bother me so much now.
Curiously, for me it's the opposite. When I was working, wasted time was something I had to plan for and work with. Now, all time is mine, and when it's wasted I feel robbed. I am not bothered by slow drivers or by waiting in a supermarket line or a dental office. These delays are minor and I can prepare for them by allowing some extra time and always carrying a book with me to read in the dental reception. But when I am stuck in a boring or unproductive situation, which I did not or could not foresee, I am thinking of all other things I could be doing with my time.

For me, in retirement, the opportunity cost of time is greater than ever.

Victoria

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm
MandyT wrote:
Curiously, for me it's the opposite. When I was working, wasted time was something I had to plan for and work with. Now, all time is mine, and when it's wasted I feel robbed. I am not bothered by slow drivers or by waiting in a supermarket line or a dental office. These delays are minor and I can prepare for them by allowing some extra time and always carrying a book with me to read in the dental reception. But when I am stuck in a boring or unproductive situation, which I did not or could not foresee, I am thinking of all other things I could be doing with my time.

Victoria
Me too, although possibly not for the same reason.

In my case it is because I know my time on earth is limited.

Of course that is true for everyone. But as you approach your 70th birthday, it becomes more obvious.

I do not fear death, as I am convinced that it is the ending of a dream.

But I still have things to do in this lifetime, and don't want to waste the unknown amount of time I have left on unnecessary and unimportant activities.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:21 pm

When you retire you definitely see the end much clearer and time becomes more valuable.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
MandyT wrote:

Victoria
Me too, although possibly not for the same reason.

In my case it is because I know my time on earth is limited.

Of course that is true for everyone. But as you approach your 70th birthday, it becomes more obvious.

I do not fear death, as I am convinced that it is the ending of a dream.

But I still have things to do in this lifetime, and don't want to waste the unknown amount of time I have left on unnecessary and unimportant activities.
I don't think much of death, but when I do, it's full of contradictions.
On one hand, I hope that Aubrey de Grey, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_de_Grey , and people like him will solve the aging problem in time for me to benefit from it.
On the other hand, if I become terminally bedridden, I will want to end it quickly.
On the third hand, I may acquire one of many medical conditions that are not terminal but greatly reduce one's ability to pursue pleasures and goals.

The third hand worries me the most, and, unfortunately, it's the hand most likely to be dealt. But as I wrote, I don't think about it much, not yet.

Victoria

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Not lazy
Lose some energy with age. But that’s not due to retiring.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:57 am

I don't think so but it makes me more realistic in how many of my goals I can achieve. I retired at 73 as I wanted to take photography, Spanish etc. at a community college, I'm catching up on projects that I delayed such as exercising more and fixing up my house and garden. The latter project takes time as good workmen are simply not available.

My Intermediate Spanish class was cancelled so I'm learning it on my own. I had to get a new phone as I lost mine. I lacked patience to deal with the crowd at the Apple Store so after trotting around town, I've got a Samsung Note 8 and need to learn how to use the camera!

I'm exercising more and need to figure this out provided I don't have workmen at my house. Then I want to relearn web stuff, Latin, French and maybe German, etc. etc. So I've got too many projects on the go. Now I've discovered something else on which to waste my time. I ordered a new battery for my Samsung Note 4. So what to do with it? I can root it and then get rid of all of those lousy Apps I don't want. Or I can play around with getting a Sim from some of those cheaper plans such a tracfone .. or ... ? Oh my! :)
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm

On the third hand, I may acquire one of many medical conditions that are not terminal but greatly reduce one's ability to pursue pleasures and goals.

The third hand worries me the most, and, unfortunately, it's the hand most likely to be dealt. But as I wrote, I don't think about it much, not yet.

Victoria
Growing a third hand would certainly be a concern, both medically and philosophically. On the fourth hand you may be able to get a job as a stand-in for Shiva in the next iteration of Indiana Jones. :wink:

Back to the subject, I am more than happy to wallow in my self-imposed laziness when the urge presents itself. Fifty years of mostly hard labor tends to do that to a person. Now if only I could get my wife to appreciate the delightful virtues of laziness! Gotta go, too many honeydo's are pending.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
MandyT wrote:

Victoria
Good points, all.

When I was working, I seemed to require a certain number of hours a week of down time/me time to be at my best. For the last two or three years of work, it felt as if the administrative part of my job was mushrooming and crowding out my down time, to the point of my actually discontinuing leisure time activities because I needed the "me time" more (this is part of what made me decide to retire early). I could see myself really resenting that extra time in the car or at the supermarket.

I'm still only months into retirement. I expect that my attitude will change as time goes on; for now, I'm enjoying the opportunity to be a bit more "mañana" about things.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm

I assume it does, because that is what I'm looking forward to becoming.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Lazy is when you or someone else judges your behavior as being less than it "should be." If one asks if activity is less in retirement than earlier in life, that is probably a true statement. However, if one states that their activity level is less simply because they are considerably older, than they are definitely not necessarily lazy. If a 75 year old has the activity level of an active 25 year old, they may be called "hyperactive." Definition of terms is crucial.

Tim

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

..84 posts in..

I'm retired nearly two years and I saw this thread a while back..been meaning to respond..but..I haven't gotten around to it.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm

vested1 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Victoria
Growing a third hand would certainly be a concern, both medically and philosophically. On the fourth hand you may be able to get a job as a stand-in for Shiva in the next iteration of Indiana Jones. :wink:
I prefer an odd number of hands, so that if the left and the right disagree, I'll have one to break the tie. Unfortunately, that disqualifies me from Indiana Jones.

Victoria

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:08 pm

fishboat wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm
..84 posts in..

I'm retired nearly two years and I saw this thread a while back..been meaning to respond..but..I haven't gotten around to it.
Have you been lazy or busy?