Mediation for a Public Utilities Complaint

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
pondering

Mediation for a Public Utilities Complaint

Post by pondering » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 am

I've been asked to try to mediate with the local power company and I'm trying to determine if they are requesting mediation.

We disagree about the damage that a tree cutting crew caused. They denied that they caused a power surge when they removed a 60 foot tree branch that fell on top of the power line from the pole to my home.

I thought they should have turned off the power to my house before removing the branch. They claim their actions didn't damage anything.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Re: Mediation for a Public Utilities Complaint

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 am

What do you say your damages were?

Do you have homeowners insurance coverage /Have you filed a claim with them (and let them deal with utility)?

Are the damages more then the small claims court limit in your state?

Is the proposed "Mediation" binding, like an Arbitration, or something else?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

pondering

Post by pondering » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 am

I’ve already filed and received a payment from my insurance company for the overall damage, including the surge when the line got arced.

I’m out $500 for my deductible. My premium would have gone up for the claim either way.

What I’m trying to have addressed is why they did this activity without cutting off power to the line. The utility company told me to stay away from my circuit box or I would have cut the power myself.

I’m also upset that they claim this didn’t happen.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm

The most effective approach for where the status of things is to send an inquiry/complaint to the state or local regulator of the power utility. I think just about every state has something like a Public Utilities Commission that regulates activities, procedures, and rates of utilities within their jurisdiction. But if you've already been made pretty much "whole" due to an insurance settlement no one there may see much reason to share your grief. If your insurance settlement was for big bucks the insurance company might proceed with a separate claim against the utility to recover but chances are the legal expenses of doing that are often not cost effective.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.