Can I deduct Sales Tax from a backyard / pool renovation on my income taxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mcraska

Can I deduct Sales Tax from a backyard / pool renovation on my income taxes?

Post by mcraska »

I live in Texas so I always take the Sales Tax deduction on my Federal Income taxes and this year we did a major backyard renovation through a contractor and I wanted to know if it's okay to deduct the sales tax from the renovation on my income taxes for this up coming year.

According to this Bank rate website I think I'm good to go, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this?

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/s ... ction.aspx

Thanks in Advance, Matt
livesoft

Re: Can I deduct Sales Tax from a backyard / pool renovation on my income taxes?

Post by livesoft »

Just follow the IRS rules as explained in the Instructions for Form 1040 Schedule A.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
chisey

Re: Can I deduct Sales Tax from a backyard / pool renovation on my income taxes?

Post by chisey »

livesoft wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 am Just follow the IRS rules as explained in the Instructions for Form 1040 Schedule A.
Livesoft: Teaching a Man to Fish Since 2007
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

So long as you have adequate documentation, I would say go ahead and take the deduction (Assuming the deduction is greater then what you're paying for state and local taxes).
Gill

Post by Gill »

If you are asking if it can be added to the amount shown on the tables the answer is in the negative.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Gill wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:54 pm If you are asking if it can be added to the amount shown on the tables the answer is in the negative.
I guess the question is whether that falls into the "major purchase" category that can be added to the table amount.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/stdc/popup/spe ... popup.html