Converting Primary To Rental - Prepayment Of Propery Tax?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
reallyconfused

Converting Primary To Rental - Prepayment Of Propery Tax?

Post by reallyconfused »

As the title suggests we are converting our primary residence into a rental property over the next few weeks. I normally prepay half of next years property taxes in the previous year. So for example, I normally would pay for July 2017-June 2018 in this calendar year.

My question is do I stop this practice and pay just this years real estate taxes this year and not prepay any of 2018? I'm going to have a negative cash flow position on this rental for at least 5-7 years I assume.

Thanks much for any insight,
RC
Topic Author
reallyconfused

Re: Converting Primary To Rental - Prepayment Of Propery Tax?

Post by reallyconfused »

Shameless bump to see if anyone has any guidance.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

One or two payments? I usually have to pay one in Dec and one in April.
Topic Author
reallyconfused

Post by reallyconfused »

Same as you. 2 payments. First is due in December and second is due in April. The annual property taxes are around 12k. Am I correct that if I pay the second payment that is due in April this year I will not be able to deduct from this years taxes because my primary home was converted to a rental before the end of the year?
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

reallyconfused wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 am Same as you. 2 payments. First is due in December and second is due in April. The annual property taxes are around 12k. Am I correct that if I pay the second payment that is due in April this year I will not be able to deduct from this years taxes because my primary home was converted to a rental before the end of the year?
I see, but you can deduct from your rental. If you pay before you convert to rental, you should be able to deduct in this year tax. I’m paying both payments now in December, just want to bunch my deductions before the new tax law becomes effect.