Social Security Discussion Forum?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
plnelson

Social Security Discussion Forum?

Post by plnelson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 am

I recently attempted to set up my Social Security online account at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and was rejected, apparently because of my answers to the dKBA questions. Several days later a subsequent attempt where I got the same dKBA questions and used the same answers (which I know because I made screenshots) worked. But in between there were many L O N G on-hold waits to talk to a human and some incorrect information on the SS website (e.g., about calling their online Help Desk, which is discontinued but still promoted on their website), which wasted a lot of my time. Not only that, but I've had to answer dKBA questions before for credit card applications and other financial stuff and I've NEVER seen so many that were "none of the above" - it looked like they were asking about some completely different person!!! Since SSA uses Equifax which was recently hacked, for the dKBA, I have concerns about whether my SS# info has been compromised.

I also recently had a meeting on a different matter at my local SS office that took me FIVE weeks to get.

Anyway, since it's clear that dealing with the Social Security Administration is going to be a complete circus I'm looking for an active, high quality, on-line discussion forum somewhere on the web about Social Security where I can discuss these sorts of issues and get hints, tips, and advice from other SS "customers". Can anyone here recommend one? Thanks in advance.

vested1

Re: Social Security Discussion Forum?

Post by vested1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't know what DKBA stands for so I googled it, which provided links to what looks like a terrorist organization. Please identify the acronym you are using. I don't know of a site that primarily discusses SS issues.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 pm

This forum is probably the best place to get what you're looking for.
Welcome...
Attempted new signature...

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 pm

vested1 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:10 pm
I don't know what DKBA stands for so I googled it, which provided links to what looks like a terrorist organization. Please identify the acronym you are using. I don't know of a site that primarily discusses SS issues.
dynamic Knowledge Based Authentication. These are those questions taken from public and credit records where they ask about some old address you might have lived at or some car you owned in 2003 or car loan you had, or mortgage, in order to verify that you really are who you say you are. They are all the rage these days when opening accounts with financial institutions and credit cards. "sKBA" is static KBA - questions where YOU supply the answer, like the name of your first pet, your favorite move, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge ... entication

I work in tech but I didn't think KBA was tech-specific jargon. What do YOU call that form of authentication?

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:55 pm

plnelson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 pm
What do YOU call that form of authentication?
I just call it authentication. I'm not in tech and have never seen or heard of KBA until I read this.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 pm
This forum is probably the best place to get what you're looking for.
Welcome...
I dunno - I love Bogleheads and have been on it for years (and one question I asked in 2014 even got the WSJ to do a two-page-article about me!) but I really think of Bogleheads for financial advice.

The questions I'll be asking on a Social Security discussion forum won't be financial in nature. They'll be more along the lines of when the best times (and days!) to call to minimize hold times, how to cut through the bureaucracy to talk to right person about specific topics; what documentation to bring to meetings on specific topics and what has to be notarized, and other mechanical stuff. Also to tell "war stories" to help others. For example earlier this year I had made an appointment at my local SS office weeks in advance but then had to cancel it due to an international trip I had subsequently booked. But ALL the public phones lines to SS both to the national call center and the local office were telling people to "call back later" and weren't even taking messages! In the end I called my local Congresswoman's office and THEY got through to cancel the appointment. I want to share that information.

Since I'm just beginning my relationship with SSA I'm sure there will be many other experiences I'll either want to ask about or share. And with 10's of millions of people on SS or Medicare I assume there must be places where there are active discussions devoted to it. Bogleheads is for everybody so SS would only be of interest to a limited portion of the membership here.

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm

plnelson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 am
I recently attempted to set up my Social Security online account at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and was rejected, apparently because of my answers to the dKBA questions. Several days later a subsequent attempt where I got the same dKBA questions and used the same answers (which I know because I made screenshots) worked. But in between there were many L O N G on-hold waits to talk to a human and some incorrect information on the SS website (e.g., about calling their online Help Desk, which is discontinued but still promoted on their website), which wasted a lot of my time. Not only that, but I've had to answer dKBA questions before for credit card applications and other financial stuff and I've NEVER seen so many that were "none of the above" - it looked like they were asking about some completely different person!!! Since SSA uses Equifax which was recently hacked, for the dKBA, I have concerns about whether my SS# info has been compromised.

I also recently had a meeting on a different matter at my local SS office that took me FIVE weeks to get.

Anyway, since it's clear that dealing with the Social Security Administration is going to be a complete circus I'm looking for an active, high quality, on-line discussion forum somewhere on the web about Social Security where I can discuss these sorts of issues and get hints, tips, and advice from other SS "customers". Can anyone here recommend one? Thanks in advance.
I don't know of a dedicated online discussion group about Social Security. I never checked because, frankly, most of my questions have either been answered here or gotten pointers from here. It seems to me that there are typically several ongoing threads (including Medicare) most weeks here.

I will say that I had absolutely no issues signing up for my SSA account, nor did my wife. (But that was several years ago, so maybe some changes since then?) Nor did we have any issues applying for SS online (her) or Medicare online (me). And the one time that I did schedule an in person meeting at the local SSA office, if I remember correctly, it was scheduled fairly promptly, I waited maybe five minutes at the office, and my questions were answered correctly and thoroughly. So I did not have the experience that you are describing.

I'd suggest that you post your questions here and hope for the best. Good luck.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm

We recently had the same experience trying to set up a new account at ssa.gov. We were told that SSA uses Equifax to verify the answers to the questions that verify your identity so if you've placed a credit freeze with Equifax you either have to lift the freeze so SSA can verify the questions or go into an SSA office, let them verify your identity in person, and get an authentication code that would let you create an online account.

However, I'm looking forward to the discussion on SS benefits. I suspect much of this has been covered in past discussions but there have been a few changes recently.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:07 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:55 pm
plnelson wrote:
I just call it authentication. I'm not in tech and have never seen or heard of KBA until I read this.
There are many kinds of authentication - what do people call that particular kind, say in a discussion on Bogleheads or if you're calling tech support at your investment company, if not dKBA? Or how do you distinguish sKBA from dKBA in a casual conversation - you can't just say "those security questions you have to answer". Is there some other term people use here?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:18 pm

plnelson wrote:

I work in tech but I didn't think KBA was tech-specific jargon. What do YOU call that form of authentication?
I work in tech and am interested in systems security, but I had never heard the abbreviations or terms before. I think they are most commonly (in my circles) called “security questions” (creative, I know). Google doesn’t seem to rank the acronyms very highly.

Now I have learned a new thing to throw out in some meeting (will try to remember to update this thread with the results) ;)

Anyway, I think this is a good place for SocSec questions, even if they may not always be financial in nature. Perhaps the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

Also, thanks for the reminder to get the SSA accounts set up. Been procrastinating on that for a while now.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm

plnelson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:07 pm
you can't just say "those security questions you have to answer". Is there some other term people use here?
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how I might refer to it. As amazing as it might seem, the subject just doesn't come up very often.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Anyway, I think this is a good place for SocSec questions, even if they may not always be financial in nature. Perhaps the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

Also, thanks for the reminder to get the SSA accounts set up. Been procrastinating on that for a while now.
OK, so I've posted a question to the Personal Consumer forum to try this out. I think it's typical of the sorts of questions I'll have. Thanks!

susa

Post by susa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 pm

plnelson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:07 pm
climber2020 wrote:
plnelson wrote:
There are many kinds of authentication - what do people call that particular kind, say in a discussion on Bogleheads or if you're calling tech support at your investment company, if not dKBA? Or how do you distinguish sKBA from dKBA in a casual conversation - you can't just say "those security questions you have to answer". Is there some other term people use here?
I find utilizing the kiss terminology is the most efficient.

Ive been struggling with SS for about 9 months & its left me in terror of having to go through the gov bureaucracy for my life support care.

I showed up for my appt 9 mos ago & walked into a 3rd world. People in all manner of dress & hygiene packed like sardines. The Fed Security Guard was calling people down & giving orders like he was a drill sergeant. One lady he snapped at jumped up & told him not to speak to her in that manner, that she paid his salary! He calmed down. LOL

After a long wait I was called away from the mass into a serene, cool and comfortable office full of cubicles (smelled better too). Lady was nice & we took care of my enrollment in Medicare & SS. My first check was to be mailed today.....but HECK FIRE NO.

I tried to go online a few times in the past few weeks to set up direct deposit, but the web site was clunky & phone help was up to 1hr 45 mins before I gave up. (I learned to call Tue, Wed, or Thur AM was best)

I connected yesterday at lunch time after an 1.40+ wait. Nice guy, very helpful. Told me that there was no record of me applying for SS! JAYZUS! He said I should go to the local office. I told him it was flooded due to Harvey. He suggested I try another local office & I kept asking why he couldnt take care of it as he was looking at my original online application that I had previously submitted. He kept saying, that he was the '800 phone guy' & I would need to visit the local office in person or I could have a telephone appt. :annoyed

I told him I would rather eat a bug then go to that god forsaken place. He set up a phone appt for me Nov 17. Looks like its time to make a draw from VGFVPAS (Vanguard if you dont know) :mrgreen:

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:51 pm

I too didn't know what dkba was :)

I forget the reason for the authentication, but I failed a dkba verification at Vanguard. I've moved so many times that I forgot some of my prior addresses. I asked Vanguard to allow me to retake the verification in three days, then I reviewed my long list of prior residences and made a cheat sheet. Passed the next time with flying colors.

Thank goodness that my foreign addresses are exempt :)

Yes, count me in on a SS forum!
No Where for Very Long...

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I didn't have to deal with dKBA or whatever because I couldn't set up my SS online account online. As a taxpayer I pay Equifax to manage the SS online account identity system, so I'll be darned if I was going to pay them again to lift my credit freeze. They've got you coming and going. I went into the office.

Sometimes when I log into my credit union account I am asked to identify my favorite candy bar. I doubt that is public knowledge. I don't remember answering that question when I opened my account, but I guess I must have. Just glad I can still remember that my favorite candy bar is #########.

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:51 am

climber2020 wrote:
plnelson wrote:
+1
writing the full term the first time you use an acronym is a basic rule of communication.

Equifax often conflates more than one person's info into one account. It doesn't mean identity theft (usually). It is just their incompetence and arrogance. If you care about it, you need to get Equifax to straighten it out.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 am

Jim Beaux wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Ive been struggling with SS for about 9 months & its left me in terror of having to go through the gov bureaucracy for my life support care.

(...deletia for space ...)

. He set up a phone appt for me Nov 17. Looks like its time to make a draw from VGFVPAS (Vanguard if you dont know) :mrgreen:
YES! In my so far VERY brief relationship with SS all of the things you said except the drill sergeant (our guard was friendly) were spot-on. I'm only 64 and the thought of dealing with this for the rest of my life is horrific. And what's Medicare like?!!

But this is exactly why I'm looking for a dedicated Social Security discussion forum. I'm an active member of a website called FlyerTalk.com for frequent flyers. It has been super valuable for find how to deal with the airlines and TSA, getting good seat assignments, airports, terminals, lounges, deals, upgrades, what to do about lost bags, getting bumped, etc, etc.

I'm looking for a website for/by Social Security and Medicare clients with similar crowd-sourced knowledge, tips, tricks and insights. FWIW I posted a question about dealing with my local SSA office on another thread here on Bogleheads, and while we've had an active discussion I don't think I know anymore than I did before asking it.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

GerryL wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm
Sometimes when I log into my credit union account I am asked to identify my favorite candy bar. I doubt that is public knowledge. I don't remember answering that question when I opened my account, but I guess I must have. Just glad I can still remember that my favorite candy bar is #########.
That's static KBA - you supply the answers upfront. Dynamic KBA gets information from public records. I'm so afraid of forgetting what I answered for the sKBA questions that starting some years ago I switched to a new answer formula where I make up a nonsense string based on the question. So as long as they don't change the wording of the question I'll reliably give the same answer every time.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:58 pm

I use the free Keepass, an open source password manager & it has made my life much easier. It will generate encrypted, random generated passwords that complies with each website formats. I only have to remember 1 password to open keepass.

When I go to log on I merely key ctrl-alt-A and depending on the website, my user id & password are automatically entered. I often use a random generated password for both user id & password. Should be impossible to crack during several lifetimes.

Example:

User name-gMHOdsIalfBK
Password -dE7eYeAiDYsYFNzoHd3iUCYZ

The beauty of using a password manager like keepass is that it has a memo box that I can put the answers to the validatation questions- and this allows me to use fictitious answers ie, mothers maiden name - mudpie salami! or favorite color - desk top. LOL

I can sync keepass with all my devices, save as an encrypted file on a thumb drive or blackberry.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Jim Beaux wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:58 pm
I use the free Keepass, an open source password manager & it has made my life much easier. It will generate encrypted, random generated passwords that complies with each website formats. I only have to remember 1 password to open keepass.
Thanks, but I'm unsure how that relates to our discussion. I asked about good places to get information about utilizing Social Security. I asked if there was a crowd-sourced website similar to Flyertalk, but about Social Security. And we seem to have evolved a side-discussion because Social Security apparently flunked me on my answers to their dKBA questions, and I didn't know that wasn't a recognised term so I explained what it meant.

No password manager can do dKBA questions because they're not passwords, i.e., you don't know ahead of time what the questions will be. (the "d" in dKBA stands for 'dynamic')

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm

plnelson wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm
Jim Beaux wrote:
Thanks, but I'm unsure how that relates to our discussion. I asked about good places to get information about utilizing Social Security. I asked if there was a crowd-sourced website similar to Flyertalk, but about Social Security. And we seem to have evolved a side-discussion because Social Security apparently flunked me on my answers to their dKBA questions, and I didn't know that wasn't a recognised term so I explained what it meant.

No password manager can do dKBA questions because they're not passwords, i.e., you don't know ahead of time what the questions will be. (the "d" in dKBA stands for 'dynamic')
It relates to your post about your fear of forgetting your sKBA:

“I'm so afraid of forgetting what I answered for the sKBA questions that starting some years ago I switched to a new answer formula where I make up a nonsense string based on the question.”

I, too, make up random answers that don’t actually answer static questions truthfully (aka fKBA approach; you heard it here first) and store the answers in my password manager.

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:04 pm

:happy I like 'fKBA' - I'm going to start promoting that.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm

plnelson wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm
Jim Beaux wrote:

Im sure there are others on this thread who will appreciate knowing about account security measures as much as they will dKBA.

Electron

Post by Electron » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:16 pm

plnelson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 am
I recently attempted to set up my Social Security online account at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and was rejected, apparently because of my answers to the dKBA questions.
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago and had to go to the local Social Security office to get an Access Code. That code let me set up the My Social Security Account without having to answer any financial questions. Before getting the Access Code I called the My Social Security support line and had them reset the lock several times that occurs when you fail the security questions.

In my case, I have only three active credit cards listed on my credit reports so maybe that is part of the problem. After seeing loans that I did not recognize, I attempted to get my three Free Annual Credit Reports. I had the exact same problem with Equifax and Experian but somehow was able to get an online report from TransUnion. Since then I set up an account with Credit Karma and a free account with Experian and have verified that all three credit files have the same correct information.

I recently applied online for Social Security Retirement Benefits and can now see the status of the application in the My Social Security Account.
Electron

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:32 pm

vested1 wrote:
Non-intuitive acronyms are ubiquitous on this forum. Makes some threads almost unreadable, although this one wasn't too bad.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:34 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:32 pm
vested1 wrote:
Non-intuitive acronyms are ubiquitous on this forum. Makes some threads almost unreadable, although this one wasn't too bad.
IDK, IMHO, YMMV. 8-)

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:12 am

If this isn't a classic example of a post veering wildly off-topic, I don't know what is. Acronym, shmacronym, lets address the OP's desire for a site to discuss social security.

OP: perhaps you should have edited your post and defined (or deleted) the offending acronym when trouble first arose.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:43 am

Since posting my question I've been extensively searching the web and have come up with nothing. AARP has an online discussion forum that covers this but traffic is extremely light. There are lots of forums with discussions related to Social Security benefits run by groups with specific disabilities, but not about retirement.

I'm always baffled by what topics interest people enough to have active online communities.

My wife died in 2012 and I started online dating in 2014 and I've been amazed that there seem to be no active online communities for online dating. The two biggest services, eHarmony and Match.com, each claim a million couples have gotten married by meeting on their sites, and there are zillions of other services and lots of dating that doesn't lead to marriage (I alone have been on 30 first dates, not to mention dozens of 2nd, 3rd, etc dates.) So there must be millions of people now who date online! I've never found an active community for online dating where I could get advice about profiles, dating etiquette, strategies, scams, safety, relationships, etc. But there are very active online communities for much more arcane or esoteric topics like Subaru Forester owners or equestrianism or quilting. As an Android programmer I've never had trouble finding busy discussion forums for that topic. As a frequent flyer I've mentioned https://www.flyertalk.com/ as a model of what I thought a Social Security forum would look like.

Social Security currently has 66 million clients whose lives and ability to pay their rent and put food on the table depends on their benefits. Furthermore the rules are arcane and getting through to Social Security is hard due to long waits in person or on the phone. I would think this combination would lead to some very active online communities to crowd-source knowledge and experience, but apparently not.

Electron

Post by Electron » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm

As mentioned earlier, this forum would be an excellent place to post your questions. If you search on Social Security related topics, you will see that there is a great deal of expertise available right here in this forum.

I would suggest starting with a single thread. Spend a little time on the wording for the new Topic. Perhaps all you need is something like "Social Security - Questions in Several Areas".
Electron

Topic Author
plnelson

Post by plnelson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Electron wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm
As mentioned earlier, this forum would be an excellent place to post your questions. If you search on Social Security related topics, you will see that there is a great deal of expertise available right here in this forum.

I would suggest starting with a single thread. Spend a little time on the wording for the new Topic. Perhaps all you need is something like "Social Security - Questions in Several Areas".
I posted a very specific question this morning on this forum - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=230840 . it's exactly the sort of question I would expect to ask on a dedicated Social Security forum. It's about how income is calculated for SS benefits eligibility < age 66.

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks