2 Commas, Seven Figure

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
fishandgolf

2 Commas, Seven Figure

Post by fishandgolf »

Yesterday was a pretty spectacular day for my wife and I. I checked our Vanguard account late yesterday afternoon and there it was........that second comma. Wow........I never thought I'd get that excited over a comma....but we did. :sharebeer

A few years ago, we were fortunate enough to hit the two comma club which included three accounts (emergency fund, wife's 401(k) Vanguard) But our Vanguard account is very special so just had to share this with those of you that are already there and those of you that are on your way. :beer
student

Re: 2 Commas, Seven Figure

Post by student »

Congratulations.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

That is exciting! :sharebeer
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Congrats to you and your wife! :beer
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Congratulations! We also hit the 2 comma club yesterday in retirement accounts! We have other net worth in taxable accounts and a home, but it's nice to cross that milestone in that fund. :D
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Amazing!
:sharebeer
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

That's what I call double dipping. Congrats.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

What I find difficult with this acheivement is the fact that there are very few folks who we can share this with. Although we do have a couple of family members that are two comma club members...... and have been for quite sometime, the majority of our family and friends are not....and will never be. So out of respect for them, we keep it to ourselves.

So Bogleheads is a very special place........for more than just sharing good news!
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congrats! :sharebeer
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

fishandgolf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am What I find difficult with this acheivement is the fact that there are very few folks who we can share this with. Although we do have a couple of family members that are two comma club members...... and have been for quite sometime, the majority of our family and friends are not....and will never be. So out of respect for them, we keep it to ourselves.

So Bogleheads is a very special place........for more than just sharing good news!
We share our financial information with our adult kids so they know our assets and net worth. We had a great time celebrating with them at a nice restaurant when we added the second comma.

If the market stays flat or increases slightly the next few months, we should be able to gather at the same restaurant to celebrate our net worth's first digit increasing by 1.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

fishandgolf wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am What I find difficult with this acheivement is the fact that there are very few folks who we can share this with. Although we do have a couple of family members that are two comma club members...... and have been for quite sometime, the majority of our family and friends are not....and will never be. So out of respect for them, we keep it to ourselves.

Congrats, now you can do more fishing and playing golf. I get it, other than my parents and one relative I can not share it either. The majority of my family are not and likely will never get there short of winning the lottery. Same - we say nothing. Still, it's difficult to share about family frugal-ish vacations when you get the "knowing look" *(as in - how did you manage to swing that? :oops: ). It's a blessing and a burden at the same time. :|
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

:sharebeer
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Congratulations! Awesome stuff
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

Congrats - well done. FWIW I try not to discuss my money with family and/or friends
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

As a funny note - my 11 year old son though keeps asking me how much money I have, i think if i told him we are in the 2 comma club also he would fall of his chair :happy :sharebeer
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Good for you!

Our "two comma" milestone came, then left, then came again. IOW, what Mr. Market gives, Mr. Market can take away. :(

Hopefully we are high enough not to slip under the two comma milestone when the correction comes, whenever that might be.

Celebrate, enjoy the moment. Then get back to working on your FI goal if you haven't already made it.

So far as sharing finances with family, we share with our daughters. They are adults, fully launched in their respective careers for years, and living the dream.

Again, congrats! These posts inspire many people, I'm sure.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
retire57

Post by retire57 »

:beer
trajan08

Post by trajan08 »

Congratulations :D
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:43 pm Good for you!

So far as sharing finances with family, we share with our daughters. They are adults, fully launched in their respective careers for years, and living the dream.

Yes.....we do share most financial details with our two grown daughters.......they are the beneficiaries of our assets so they need to be informed. They don't know all the details but they have a good idea what our net worth is. As you mentioned, they too are well along in their respective careers, have families and very trust worthy.
BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat »

Congratulations!

...and the good news is you'll probably get to celebrate it again after the way things are looking in the market today! :annoyed