Think I froze credit... any reason not to apply for credit to test?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mostly_lurking

Think I froze credit... any reason not to apply for credit to test?

Post by mostly_lurking » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 pm

After having to send phyiscal letters credit bureaus and wait for weeks, I've finally received letters back from each of the big 5. However, I'm not entirely convinced that they have. One charged my credit card as if they froze my credit, but sent me a credit report (that I did not request) and didn't specifically say that they've frozen my credit. Is there a good way to test whether they've actually frozen it?
Is there any disadvantage to apply for a credit card that I don't want just to test whether the companies have actually stopped giving out my information?
Is there a set of a few card companies I could try to cover each of the credit agencies?
Thanks,
mostly_lurking

ved

Re: Think I froze credit... any reason not to apply for credit to test?

Post by ved » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't know the answer..but what are the "big 5"?
I know only Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 pm

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Chex Systems operates under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, but is associated with deposit banks, not credit. If you open a new deposit account, chances are you will have an inquiry. Also, accounts with problems like bounced checks are reported.

blevine

Post by blevine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 pm

You should gey a pin to unfreeze. Due to volume of recent requests seems to be taking longer.

Also a single test tells you little. Any particular application may not result in pulling from all the agencies. So you would be testing one or a subset. The bank would likely tell you which one is to be (or was) tested. Just be patient and keep those pins when you get them.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

mostly_lurking wrote:Is there a good way to test whether they've actually frozen it?
My credit reports all say something like "File frozen due to state legislation" or "Legislative security freeze in place" or "Security Freeze: This file has been frozen at the consumer's request". When you check your reports every few months see if they each say something like that.

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm

But to the OP's original question; Is there any reason *not* to try and open a credit card account to actually test that the freeze is working? Whether or not your report says there is a freeze, as has been demonstrated, these companies don't always have all their ducks in a row.

Does a failed application (due to a freeze) affect your score?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12 pm

I did that once to try to upgrade my FIDO credit card from 1.5% to 2% cashback. They tried but couldn't do it due to being blocked by my 3 agency freeze so I didn't bother although she said just unfreezing equifax would be enough. Didn't seem to affect my credit score.

mostly_lurking

Post by mostly_lurking » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Update... TransUnion did send a PIN, just in a separate letter that arrived after I received the credit report (even though I didn't ask for it). So, it was probably a false alarm.
Although when I "Print Report" in Credit Karma, it still doesn't mention anything about being frozen. That's a little worrying. But since I can't really do a good test anyway, I guess it's not worth the trouble of trying.
Thanks.

coco jam

Post by coco jam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Just a data point, I applied for a 2% fido credit card as a test after freezing credit at big 3. I got a letter saying that my credit is frozen so need to call blah blah blah.

Felt safe that they couldn't process the app.

I don't care about my credit rating too much though as long as it is high 700s no need to borrow money. Not sure how the credit score will go up or down with this app.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 am

Wouldn’t trying to freeze the credit over the phone tell you if it is frozen or not? If it is not frozen, go ahead and proceed with the freeze. If frozen, then you would need to get your pin by snail mail. But if it is frozen, you should have received a pin in the mail and a letter saying it was frozen. In most cases, when applying for credit you won’t know which of the companies they will use. Another option might be to try to open a credit karma, credit sesame or my ss account.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

mostly_lurking wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm
Although when I "Print Report" in Credit Karma, it still doesn't mention anything about being frozen. That's a little worrying. But since I can't really do a good test anyway, I guess it's not worth the trouble of trying.
Thanks.
I was curious about this too. I recently froze, then my Credit Karma reports updated and no mention of freezes or fraud alerts. Maybe because it's a simplified report (doesn't show soft pulls either)? I'm not sure.

tioscrooge

Post by tioscrooge » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:11 pm

I have frozen credit for over a decade. I would apply for the store credit card when I was shopping at Macy or jc Penney - especially if they asked and offered additional 10-20% off.
I could never open a new card. The credit freeze worked. Haven't checked in last year.

I would suggest that you try to open a new card to just check how your freeze works.