Trash dumped on curb (need advice)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
scorcher31

Trash dumped on curb (need advice)

Post by scorcher31 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm

This may be a stretch as a financial topic, but I know I've read tree/yard disputes between neighbors before. It so happens that the people across from us are in the process of a short sale. They have dumped a large amount of trash on the curb including 8+tv/monitors, a couch, table/chairs, tons of trashbags, a bed frame and so on. Typically our garbage collection is free and also takes 3 bulk items (not electronics) but it appears they put so much there the garbage people have decided they are going to just ignore it now and not take anything. There also multiple free dumps in the area we can drop off at, but yet the neighbors appear to be content just leaving the trash there which is an eyesore and possible a health hazard. We don't have a particular social neigborhood i.e. noone really knows each other. If they aren't doing anything about it after 2 weeks and it dosen't bother them, my guess is asking them about it directly won't be much help

1. Do i give it more time to see if they sell the home and move out the trash? (it looks like it is pending shortsale online)

2. Do I call the HOA association, do I call the zoning commission or garbage people?

3. Do I try to catch the garbage men and give them $50 to take some of our neighbors trash?

4. I guess I can knock on their door, but cant see it being beneficial. Maybe I can offer to take one or 2 of their items to my side so hopefully the trash people pick it up?

Looking for any input
Last edited by scorcher31 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scorcher31

Re: Trash dumped on curb

Post by scorcher31 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Also if this is the wrong board category, please move it to the appropriate section

slayed

Re: Trash dumped on curb (need advice)

Post by slayed » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 pm

First thing I would do is report it to your local municipality. Stress the health hazard aspect. They will likely fine the property owners and have it removed.

scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Do you think it would be the public works department or the the code enforcement/zoning department when reporting something like this? I hate to make enemies and for them know I called on them (although i guess they will probably be moving anyways). I don't really care for them to get a fine as if they can't pay for there home it probably wont make a difference, but I do want to make sure it's not out there when Thanksgiving comes and snow starts to fall. Would there be any way they would be told who reported this?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 pm

scorcher31 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm
ending shortsale online)

2. Do I call the HOA association, do I call the zoning commission or garbage people?
Just let the HOA know that there is a problem. If they can't take care of it, they might be able to tell you which department of the local government can help. Otherwise, say if the HOA doesn't want to take care of it, call the sanitation department and ask them how to report it.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 am

What is the point of your HOA if they don't/won't deal with giant piles of trash on the curb for weeks? Seriously, I've never been subject to one.

Otherwise, if I knew a sale was actually in progress and a new owner was due, I'd wait it out. In any case, I would not presume authority to remove material from someone else's property, regardless of how obvious it seems. If it was something involving well-being like a reclusive old person who hasn't been seen for a long time, that's another matter with another course of action.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 am

gd wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 am
What is the point of your HOA if they don't/won't deal with giant piles of trash on the curb for weeks? Seriously, I've never been subject to one.
HOA's do not exist to be useful. They are a way for a minority of homeowner's to control their neighbors and a source of harassment and taxes.

Seriously though, it is likely the activity violates some city ordinance. HOAs typically defer such violations to the city. The HOA may have some regulation against piles of garbage. They can send a threatening letter, wait for non-response from the homeowner, and put a lien on their house.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 am

First, understand if anything special needs to be done to collect those 3 bulk items. Our town has something similar, but 1 bulk item a week, and it's done in a separate collection and only if I call the town and ask for them to collect from my address.

With the above known, every trash day, arrange for the 3 bulk items to be collected from both your address and the offender's address. Drag 3 bulk items from the neighbor's trash pile to yours. Although it might take some number of weeks, it will at least reduce their pile of trash.

I can hear responses already....."it's their trash, why should I.....?". If this is just a whine on principal, feel free to whine to whoever will listen and watch nothing get done. They've likely been foreclosed on and couldn't care less about a stupid trash violation. Go ahead and put a lien on their house....they've already lost it....what do they care. If your goal is to remove the offending trash, just do the above. I'd even go a step further. In my town, we're issued big containers for trash that the truck pulls up to and grabs with automatic equipment. I never fill it more than half full. If I put out some other container, they ignore it. If you have extra room in your trash container, grab bags of trash from the neighbor and put them in your container. This will reduce the pile the quickest. Expect the pile to build on non trash days as they continue to clean out the house.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 am

Health hazard, call the city or county.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 am

#2 for sure. Paying to have it removed will only encourage them to do it again...

If the HOA doesnt take care of it the City should.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 am

Your first point of contact should be the HOA.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 am

We have this issue with a multi-family building nearby and I cannot figure out why.

Every time the garbage is there longer than a week, I put in a service request with our city sanitation department. It's disgusting the amount of stuff they leave out and harbors vermin.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 am

As others have said;
1. Report to HOA-it's their job to enforce. Just be prepared that they likely have a noticing process and are already aware of the problem. It takes patience to follow the rules. While still irritating, it may give you some comfort to know that something is being done.
2. Next step is to report the problem to the City. Over the years I've worked a lot with different code enforcement entities. They too, have a process they need to follow.
3. Finally, these folks likely have no money and will probably ignore the above. Whoever is buying the property is likely prepared to deal with the above. Call the agent handling the sale and find out when closing is scheduled. Explain the situation. You'll want to introduce yourself to the new buyer and find out their schedule for removal of this stuff. You might impress them with being a great neighbor and offer to use one of your bulk item pick ups to meet that T-Day deadline.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am

Post an add on Craigslist for free stuff. It will be gone fast.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

What's the health hazard?

Why can't people just mind their own business?

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am

NightFall wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 am
HOA's do not exist to be useful. They are a way for a minority of homeowner's to control their neighbors and a source of harassment and taxes.
How true. Well said.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 am

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am
What's the health hazard?

Why can't people just mind their own business?
Rats? Infestations? You want that on the curb where your kids walk to school? Dumping on public property (the sidewalk) is illegal.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 am

alpenglow wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am
NightFall wrote:
How true. Well said.
My personal experience is that HOAs and similar can protect the majority of homeowners from the selfish and sometimes illegal behavior of a few rotten apples very efficiently. People who don't want to follow the rules shouldn't buy property governed by them. Seems pretty dumb for someone to buy a house or apartment with an HOA or similar and then complain about it. :oops:

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 am
alpenglow wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am
NightFall wrote:
How true. Well said.
My personal experience is that HOAs and similar can protect the majority of homeowners from the selfish and sometimes illegal behavior of a few rotten apples very efficiently. People who don't want to follow the rules shouldn't buy property governed by them. Seems pretty dumb for someone to buy a house or apartment with an HOA or similar and then complain about it. :oops:
It isn't easy in some places to find property that is NOT governed by an HOA. I know that personally, I will never again live in an HOA community if/when I move again.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

It isn't easy in some places to find property that is NOT governed by an HOA. I know that personally, I will never again live in an HOA community if/when I move again.
I would not want to live in an apartment that didn't have a good board and management that intervened when other residents do things like allow their animals to cause disturbances and soil common areas, hoard and cause infestations and foul odors, rent their apartments as hotel rooms, make too much noise late at night, etc. There are laws and agencies that enforce them that can stop that sort of behavior, but it is easier and more efficient to take care of problems like that internally.

The dumping discussed in this thread is a good example.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 am

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

I would not want to live in an apartment that didn't have a good board and management that intervened when other residents do things like allow their animals to cause disturbances and soil common areas, hoard and cause infestations and foul odors, rent their apartments as hotel rooms, make too much noise late at night, etc. There are laws and agencies that enforce them that can stop that sort of behavior, but it is easier and more efficient to take care of problems like that internally.

The dumping discussed in this thread is a good example.
I think an apartment/condo is a different story. I'm talking solely about HOAs in single family home communities. It seems to me they exist as a way to justify the actions of nosy neighbors who think they know better than you.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am

scorcher31 wrote:
It so happens that the people across from us are in the process of a short sale. They have dumped a large amount of trash on the curb including 8+tv/monitors, a couch, table/chairs, tons of trashbags, a bed frame and so on.
Since this is a short sale, and the offending neighbors will soon be gone (if they aren't already), I'd probably just help them out by moving some of their junk over to my side so that the garbage men are more likely to take it. If this were an ongoing situation, my answer would be different.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 am

scorcher31 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 pm
Do you think it would be the public works department or the the code enforcement/zoning department when reporting something like this? I hate to make enemies and for them know I called on them (although i guess they will probably be moving anyways). I don't really care for them to get a fine as if they can't pay for there home it probably wont make a difference, but I do want to make sure it's not out there when Thanksgiving comes and snow starts to fall. Would there be any way they would be told who reported this?
In my area if you dial 311 you can be connected to a bunch of municipal services - trash pick up, animal control, etc. I would check and see if you also have 311 service then chose the option that you think is most appropriate from the menu.

Also, are you supposed to call for special pickup of bulk items? Where I live it isn't the same truck that picks up bulk items as the regular trash. So you have to call them the day before to arrange pickup.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 am

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 am
I think an apartment/condo is a different story. I'm talking solely about HOAs in single family home communities. It seems to me they exist as a way to justify the actions of nosy neighbors who think they know better than you.
You also seem to think that it is perfectly acceptable for the owners of a single family home to dump their trash on the curb/sidewalk and that anyone complaining about it should be minding their own business.

As for the HOA being a mechanism for a minority to impose their rules/taxes on the majority... don't HOA boards get elected? I suggest if you feel oppressed by the minority, run for the board and encourage the oppressed majority to vote for you so they are finally allowed to dump their trash on the sidewalk again :shock:

My experience with living in a small HOA community with single family homes was that it was very hard to find candidates for the board.

OP - call/email HOA and/or code enforcement.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 am

scorcher31 wrote:
This may be a stretch as a financial topic, but I know I've read tree/yard disputes between neighbors before. It so happens that the people across from us are in the process of a short sale. They have dumped a large amount of trash on the curb including 8+tv/monitors, a couch, table/chairs, tons of trashbags, a bed frame and so on. Typically our garbage collection is free and also takes 3 bulk items (not electronics) but it appears they put so much there the garbage people have decided they are going to just ignore it now and not take anything. There also multiple free dumps in the area we can drop off at, but yet the neighbors appear to be content just leaving the trash there which is an eyesore and possible a health hazard. We don't have a particular social neigborhood i.e. noone really knows each other. If they aren't doing anything about it after 2 weeks and it dosen't bother them, my guess is asking them about it directly won't be much help

1. Do i give it more time to see if they sell the home and move out the trash? (it looks like it is pending shortsale online)

3. Do I try to catch the garbage men and give them $50 to take some of our neighbors trash?

4. I guess I can knock on their door, but cant see it being beneficial. Maybe I can offer to take one or 2 of their items to my side so hopefully the trash people pick it up?

Looking for any input
Do you know the people who live across the street by first name?

I can't tell if it is obvious to anyone but me, but why not just talk to them directly? "Steve, did you know you can only put out 3 large things? If you want I can text you the website of other local areas that accept waste for free. I'm a little worried about all of this trash hanging around as my kids play on the street a lot, and would appreciate you looking after it."

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 am

mak1277 wrote:

I disagree. I have friends on the west coast who live in a neighborhood with single family homes. The HOA intervenes when someone doesn't maintain the external appearance of their property or violates rules that protect neighbors from poor behavior.

As I said before, it seems pretty dumb to buy a property with an HOA or similar and then complain about it. My experience is that unless an HOA is truly out of control, which does happen and should be expected to happen considering how prevalent they are, they improve the quality of life for residents. You can have similar problems with law enforcement or elected officials, too, but that doesn't negate their general benefit.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am

Isn't this called "littering"? Call the cops.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am
This is the best idea.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 am
mak1277 wrote:

I disagree. I have friends on the west coast who live in a neighborhood with single family homes. The HOA intervenes when someone doesn't maintain the external appearance of their property or violates rules that protect neighbors from poor behavior.

As I said before, it seems pretty dumb to buy a property with an HOA or similar and then complain about it. My experience is that unless an HOA is truly out of control, which does happen and should be expected to happen considering how prevalent they are, they improve the quality of life for residents. You can have similar problems with law enforcement or elected officials, too, but that doesn't negate their general benefit.
I never realized how annoying it was until I lived in an HOA community. I figured it would be a complete non-issue, until I saw it in action. I have neighbors who have gotten threatening notes because *gasp* their mailboxes weren't straight enough or *horrors* they had grass growing in driveway cracks. I agree that gross negligence in violation of the community HOA rules can be dealt with, but my limited personal experience is that there is significant overreach going on.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm
I never realized how annoying it was until I lived in an HOA community. I figured it would be a complete non-issue, until I saw it in action. I have neighbors who have gotten threatening notes because *gasp* their mailboxes weren't straight enough or *horrors* they had grass growing in driveway cracks. I agree that gross negligence in violation of the community HOA rules can be dealt with, but my limited personal experience is that there is significant overreach going on.
I see the opposite problem. Management is often hesitant to address smaller but still important issues such as people putting garbage in the recycling bin and prefers to focus on only the bigger problems.

scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks for the imput! Honestly I'm not quite sure how bulk pick up works. Online it says they will take up to 3 and doesn't mention to call. I've only been in the area 3 years, actually don't think many of then neighbors really know or talk to each other. I'll call the garbage removal office tomorrow just to inquire if bulk trash removal needs to be scheduled.

The shortsale was done without a real estate agent so I can't contact the agent. There definitely was someone working on the home all day today, maybe to fix things for the buyer? I can't imagine that money would be spent and they would just leave the trash there so maybe there is some plan for them to get rid of it. I'm going to wait until trashday this Tuesday to see what happens and then go from there. I'll then call our HOA if nothing moves, but don't know how involved the HOA is as we only pay 150 once a year and they only meet once a year. We as a single home are technically covered under hoa but they don't do much as they are more for the large townhouse community 1 street over which pays monthly.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:33 pm

You can always call the garbage company and town pickup to get applicable information. But some neighbors are simply not too picky in curb appeal of their house. Some don't realize what rules have to be followed, and might need to get informed, like you getting the rules and mail to them without giving your name,

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am
This is the best idea ever!

Make a few "free" signs to put on big items and try to set them away from the pile.

In the craigslist ad, take pictures of the big things and maybe take pictures of random furniture in your house to bait the vultures to come get those items.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Since no one has mentioned this yet I find that a respectful and non-emotional email to your city councilman usually produces either results or at least a useful list of city departments to contact.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am

Already mentioned but contact the code enforcement department of your city.

I was in a similar situation last year. My tenant had a bulk pick up but he had way too much stuff out. The garbage company refused to pick it up and people rummaged through the pile. There was trash and stuff everywhere. Someone complained to the city. I received a nice letter stating I will fined me and a lien will be put on the property if I don't get the trash out.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 am
With the above known, every trash day, arrange for the 3 bulk items to be collected from both your address and the offender's address. Drag 3 bulk items from the neighbor's trash pile to yours. Although it might take some number of weeks, it will at least reduce their pile of trash.

I can hear responses already....."it's their trash, why should I.....?". If this is just a whine on principal, feel free to whine to whoever will listen and watch nothing get done. They've likely been foreclosed on and couldn't care less about a stupid trash violation. Go ahead and put a lien on their house....they've already lost it....what do they care. If your goal is to remove the offending trash, just do the above. I'd even go a step further. In my town, we're issued big containers for trash that the truck pulls up to and grabs with automatic equipment. I never fill it more than half full. If I put out some other container, they ignore it. If you have extra room in your trash container, grab bags of trash from the neighbor and put them in your container. This will reduce the pile the quickest. Expect the pile to build on non trash days as they continue to clean out the house.
Actually, think this is the best response. Sure it's "their" trash, but it's "your neighborhood" and be a good neighbor. For whatever reason, they got into a bad situation and are short selling their house. Might even go a step further, go over, introduce yourself and ask if you can help out.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 am

In my neighborhood, anything usable disappears within hours, or certainly overnight. Curb alerts on craigslist or local garage sale facebook helps. Old electronics are not usable, and normal trash pickup won't take them. If you want to clear them out and are not getting help from an HOA or the city, see if you can hire someone (cheap) with a truck to take them all to the local recycling/toxic waste disposal. We have a city-sponsored free drop-off every Saturday. Two teens with a truck or a demolition cleanup might help. I doubt your neighbors will care or suddenly develop manners, and the potential broken glass is a safety issue.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am

mak1277 wrote:
I'm sorry your current HOA is a pain. But in this case, the OP *does* know better than his neighbors. Trash doesn't belong on the curb for weeks.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 am

boglegirl wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am
mak1277 wrote:
I'm sorry your current HOA is a pain. But in this case, the OP *does* know better than his neighbors. Trash doesn't belong on the curb for weeks.
But in this case, it seems like local code/law is being broken...so the HOA is *still* an unnecessary piece of nonsense.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am

scorcher31 wrote:

Looking for any input
We were recently on the flip side of this but maybe not quite as unthoughful as your neighbors.

We have been doing major remodel and basically everything in the house had to be moved to the garage or else discarded. Every week I’d have tons of stuff by the side of the road. The trash day was Wednesday and had absolutely no room in the garage so I would start to “stage”’stuff by the side of the road over he weekend. My thinking was people frequently drive by and take stuff from trash if they think useful.

Finally after about a month of this we got a notice on my door by the local police dept guy that handles such issues and it said to remove items from side of road in 24 hours. This was on a Tuesday. I called him and told him trash day was on Wed and he said fine don’t worry about. He was very cordial and easy to deal
with. He did mention a couple of people on the street had actually called police. I have to say I was pretty irritated that chicken xxxx neighbors actually called the police. If I knew who it was i would have likely given them a polite earful. Remodeling sucks, it isn’t fun for us, and we have lived there 20 years and never done anything like that.

Having said that I’ve been more cognizant or waiting until the day before putting it by he side of the road. Luckily our trash service CWD has been great as they picked up everything we put out there even if over the 10 item/can limit. 2 couches, a freezer, what have you. My neighbor suggested a leave a disposable cooler full of soft drinks for the garbage men. I probably should have but never did.

However i agree that leaving items weeks on end is unacceptable. If it were me I’d probably say something to the neighbor directly but I fully admit that may or may not work out for the best.
Last edited by JBTX on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 am
boglegirl wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
But in this case, it seems like local code/law is being broken...so the HOA is *still* an unnecessary piece of nonsense.
HOAs will act on HOA regulations being broken. They won’t and can’t act on laws being broken.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am
mak1277 wrote:
boglegirl wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
HOAs will act on HOA regulations being broken. They won’t and can’t act on laws being broken.
My point is that in OPs case, laws ARE being broken, so he can call the police/city/county. Having an HOA isn't necessary to solve this problem.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am
JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am
mak1277 wrote:
boglegirl wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
My point is that in OPs case, laws ARE being broken, so he can call the police/city/county. Having an HOA isn't necessary to solve this problem.
In this case no but I’m not an expert on what local laws are on such things. One time I had a question on some work the neighbor was doing that actually extended onto my property and the HOA said that was a legal issue.

I don’t think the HOAs are the problem. It is tricky tack neighbors reporting insignificant problems that is the issue. Not everything is covered by local ordinance. HOAs are there to provide some common rules not covered by local laws. We have an HOA but it isn’t at all overbearing. About a mile down the road outside of our division there are comparable sized homes but I’m guessing no HOA. Unmowed grass, a half dozen cars parked around a single house, huge structures in the backyard etc. Really looks like crap. The HOA likely increases your property value.

I have heard some stories of HOAs that are really overboard. My parents live in such a neighborhood. You have to have approval to cut down a tree. The flip side is it is a beautiful area that is heavily wooded and has very natural surroundings. It’s what makes the area special and why people want to live there.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
scorcher31 wrote:

Looking for any input
We were recently on the flip side of this but maybe not quite as unthoughful as your neighbors.

We have been doing major remodel and basically everything in the house had to be moved to the garage or else discarded. Every week I’d have tons of stuff by the side of the road. The trash day was Wednesday and had absolutely no room in the garage so I would start to “stage”’stuff by the side of the road over he weekend. My thinking was people frequently drive by and take stuff from trash if they think useful.

Finally after about a month of this we got a notice on my door by the local police dept guy that handles such issues and it said to remove items from side of road in 24 hours. This was on a Tuesday. I called him and told him trash day was on Wed and he said fine don’t worry about. He was very cordial and easy to deal
with. He did mention a couple of people on the street had actually called police. I have to say I was pretty irritated that chicken xxxx neighbors actually called the police. If I knew who it was i would have likely given them a polite earful. Remodeling sucks, it isn’t fun for us, and we have lived there 20 years and never done anything like that.

Having said that I’ve been more cognizant or waiting until the day before putting it by he side of the road. Luckily our trash service CWD has been great as they picked up everything we put out there even if over the 10 item/can limit. 2 couches, a freezer, what have you. My neighbor suggested a leave a disposable cooler full of soft drinks for the garbage men. I probably should have but never did.

However i agree that leaving items weeks on end is unacceptable. If it were me I’d probably say something to the neighbor directly but I fully admit that may or may not work out for the best.
This!

If you read the responses in this thread, 95% of them are to call the police, call the HOA, etc. Very few (I wrote one) advise having a simple discussion with the homeowner involved.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 pm

wilked wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am
JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
scorcher31 wrote:

Looking for any input

This!

If you read the responses in this thread, 95% of them are to call the police, call the HOA, etc. Very few (I wrote one) advise having a simple discussion with the homeowner involved.
Yeah I'd rather not involve authorities unless can't resolve individually, but if you can't resolve it face to face, it could get uncomfortable.

I referenced a dispute with new next door neighbor, a single old lady, who built a drainage rock creek that went onto my property. it looked fine, but I had several specific concerns. I asked her about it, she asked me to talk to the landscaper that did it. I talked to him, but after a while the conversation soured, as he ultimately balked at moving it. At that point I was irritated and called the HOA - really more to try to figure out what to do next, i wasn't necessarily trying to "rat her out". The HOA said property line disputes would involve the police, and I really didn't want to call the police for that. Unfortunately, it turned out the lady didn't get full HOA approval for all the landscaping done, and that got her in a bit of hot water. I told the HOA I had no problem with the landscaping, I just wanted to get the particular issue worked out. I wasn't trying to get her in trouble, nor did I have any issue with the new landscaping. But the result is I think the old lady thought I ratted her out, and she is crotchety to me to this day. I always try to speak and say hi but she seems permanently miffed. Ultimately I really don't care.

Luckily the landscaper did finally agree to move it back out of my property, and also agreed to put in rocks in a small strip of grass that was now blocked off by the ditch and impossible to mow, and only charged me for the rocks and not the labor.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

scorcher31 wrote:
This may be a stretch as a financial topic,
This is more of a financial issue, IMO, than movie or book reviews, vacation ideas, or schools to send your kids to. It affects your property value, the cost incurred by someone to do the removal, and the implications of what might happen if it is NOT removed.

As far as what to do, you can follow many of the previous suggestions at the same time.

Put a bag of their trash in your own trash can each week, until it is gone.
Post on Craigslist.
Make a few phone calls.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Something very similar happened on my street, though over a much shorter timeframe than you might be facing. My next door neighbor was moving, and he basically cleaned out his entire house and put everything on the curb the morning of the day he had settlement. I knew the trash guys would never take all of it, and took photos of it in the morning in case there were issues. Lo and behold, the trash guys (understandably) wouldn't take it.

Luckily, the people who were buying the house drove by in the morning and saw the trash pile. At settlement, they demanded that he call the township and pay for a bulk trash pickup that day, which he reluctantly did.

If the trash had been there for more than a day, I would've skipped talking to him and just called code enforcement. You have to know what kind of neighbor you're dealing with. This neighbor was an arrogant yet insecure guy who argued over everything. Talking to him would've gone nowhere and just caused stress and anger.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Trash dumped on curb

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 pm

scorcher31 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 pm
Also if this is the wrong board category, please move it to the appropriate section
Sure. This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (trash).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:34 am

If you find out when this stuff would normally be picked up, my experience has been that a bottle of whiskey placed in a visible location on the trash will make an amazing amount of stuff disappear...

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:47 am

Since the occupants seem to be in the process of moving out, i'd cut them some slack and ignore the issue for a while. If it runs on for six months then yes, of course notify the appropriate entity.

For those on here complaining about HOA's, don't move into one if you don't like it. They are not a secret. I've lived in multiple HOA and non-HOA communities and greatly prefer an HOA. My current neighborhood home prices are between 750k and 1.5 million. It is an older neighborhood and non-HOA. Some people are disgusting pigs and leave their property in disarray.