Anyone used Zelle?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
wstrdg

Re: Anyone used Zelle?

Post by wstrdg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 pm

I deactivated Zelle today after reading the NYT article https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/22/bus ... fraud.html

I've had several problems with Zelle. Yes, if your phone number is linked to more than one bank account, your receipts may not end up where you expected. And I have tried several times over the past six months to send funds to one particular party (who does have an Zelle activated ) -- the transaction hangs in suspense until I phone and cancel it. And finally, Zelle redirected one of my payments to a similar but different phone number -- thankfully, it was a family member, so no harm.

I thought it was "just me" but the NYT article shows that Zelle has problems to fix.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm

I tried to send money to a friend using Zelle. The friend banked at Fidelity, and we discovered Zelle does not work with Fidelity, for some reason. I tried to contact Zelle...impossible! I called the bank and they backed out the transaction.

Also, wanted cell phone number but would not accept Google Fi.

So Zelle does not like Fidelity and does not like Google Fi. Go figure!

I sent the money using Google Send, which worked fine. From now on, Google Send it is!
Last edited by munemaker on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I've used Zelle. I have a friend who won't use Paypal and I finally got him to agree to try Zelle. He signed up and once he entered his email I was able to send him money easily.

I'd use it to pay rent however they cap the daily limit at $2,500. Too small for rent in a large city.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

oldhobo

Post by oldhobo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I was happily using Zelle via Capital One to send money to child in college for spending money. As of last week, can no longer send money - appears they now require a cell # instead of just an email (no problem so far).

I successfully attached my cell # to my Cap One Zelle account, Cap One sent the code to verify, all good. Now when I go to send money, wants to verify my transaction by sending the 2fa code, but it can't verify my phone number (even though it's been successfully attached to my account). Called Cap One and the rep actually said I should use Venmo.

It appears they're making changes to make it more secure and I've been the victim of some phone number verification algorithm. I verified my cell phone provider address matches my Cap One account, all good there.

So I try the Zelle stand alone app and link my debit card - there seems to be some insanely low weekly limit (won't indicate the limit, but seems to be below $250)