I need a better online checking w billpay and mobile check deposit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
heartwood

I need a better online checking w billpay and mobile check deposit

Post by heartwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I've search the site and can't find recent threads that address my question. Apologies if I've missed them.

Long story, perhaps skip to the last two shorter paragraphs to see what I'm asking w/o all the background details. Although the BNY Mellon billpay might be a heads up to anyone using it at Vanguard.

I've had multiple Vanguard Advantage accounts for very many years. They've worked very well as our primary checking account and separately as an account to receive checks to/from an LLC. We have a small BOA account locally for ATM, safe deposit, and other random activities. The Advantage accounts are linked to Vanguard MMs. They had mobile check deposit, with a $50,000 daily limit. They have billpay administered by BNY Mellon. We use them to pay all of our bills and receive pension and SS. The LLC account receives occasional payments and uses billpay and checking.

The Advantage accounts were always in a Vanguard old style brokerage account linked to the MM in my Vanguard funds portfolio. I was upgraded to the new style brokerage accounts perhaps a year and a half ago and everything now resides in the new brokerage accounts. The mobile check deposit stopped working with no prior warning when I was upgraded. I was promised it would return soon. It has not. My choice is to mobile deposit smaller checks to BOA and then EFT to Vanguard, or mail the check to Vanguard for deposit and loose a week.

I sent a bill pay check to a vendor to arrive in mid-July. He claims non-receipt. I filed an online inquiry via the BNY Mellon/Vanguard portal in mid-September. It noted a 2-3 business day response time. A week ago I filed a 2nd inquiry noting no response to the 1st inquiry. I also looked for a way to email or talk with someone at the billpay function. I couldn't find any contact information. Today after no response to either inquiry I called my Flagship rep.

He investigated and emailed me to call him if there's a future inquiry, not to use the online inquiry and basically that the BNY Mellon inquiry function was not functioning. BTW, there's no notice that the inquiry service is not functioning. I've asked, in an after-hours email, if I contact him re a billpay issue whether Vanguard will make good on any late fees, etc. He suggested that I send the vendor a new check since its been 3 months since the first was supposed to arrive. He cannot waive a $15 stop payment on the 1st check if I want to issue one since its a BNY Mellon, not a Vanguard, check.

So no mobile check deposit and now the billpay may not be reliable if you have a missing check.

I'm considering options and am looking for an account that provides easy, seamless service, not something that's become somewhat kludgy and now hard to follow-up on. I'd like high daily limit mobile check deposit (BOA has a $5000 limit per month). I'd like a limit around $20,000 per day for very very occasional checks. I'd like a billpay service for free. Free checking would also be nice. I'd also like an easy setup of an LLC account.

Anyone meet the description? Fidelity? Chase? Other?

arsenalfan

Re: I need a better online checking w billpay and mobile check deposit

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I use BoA. Works great.
My monthly mobile deposit limit is $50k. Daily limit is same.
Maybe call and see why you’re is $5k.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 pm

I've found Charkes Schwab Bank to be good. Their website is a bit dated, but things work, and their phone service is excellent.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 pm
I use BoA. Works great.
I use BoA, an I wouldn't say it's that great. It's adequate and mostly gets the job done, but there's plenty of room for improvement. But I've tried others, and they're worse or unusable. I tried Fidelity, but it didn't appear any better, so I didn't spend much more time on it. Citibank sucks, so I'd avoid them.

I was able to increase my ATM withdrawal limit, so they may be able to adjust other limits upon request. Give it a try.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 pm
I use BoA. Works great.
Just checked in my BOA app. I'm at $10,000/month. I assume daily is the same. All I do there is have a pension check direct deposited to earn free checking. Maybe if I increase my balances with them I can get it raised. Current average balance is about $1000/month, just enough for a few small checks written to cash ...

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Not sure why the varying limits. I parked a bunch of vanguard index funds with Merrill Edge to get their top tier BoA rewards, so maybe that's why?
Deposit a bunch of rent checks of varying amounts each month, no problems.
Not sure what other problems folks have had - depositing is very easy.
I use their billpay as well, to save on stamps/control when the check goes out. No problems there either.

ryman554

Post by ryman554 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am

CapitalOne360 works great for me. I've deposited checks with 25k daily limit via their app, and their bill pay works well for me. Never had any issues with lost checks, and I can get a person on the phone when I needed to. Ebills are well integrated and automatic; the only thing I can't set up to just pay is my credit card ebill, but that's due to Chase, not the bank, and my reticence in having Chase pull from my checking account.

Others vouch for ally.

BofA is and always has been off my list for "I hate big banks that abuse their customers". Wells is on that same list.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 pm
I've found Charkes Schwab Bank to be good. Their website is a bit dated, but things work, and their phone service is excellent.
Have not used phone, but have gotten good service via email and chat. Use their bill pay and never had a problem.

I originally opened the account when it was required to get 2% on the old Schwab credit card. I keep it for the free bill pay, free use of any ATM anywhere in the world, and the postage paid deposit by mail of the occasional paper check. Never used mobile deposit, I'm not in that much of a hurry.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

My local bank now has it’s own app and many services. You might want to check locally.
"La Bella Luna"

ProfLA

Post by ProfLA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am

Charles Schwab bank online platform and Christine service have been superb for me. The monthly deposit limit is $100,000.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 am

Ditto On Cap One.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ddd

Post by ddd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

Billpay comes with two forms of payment delivery: electronic, laser check. The quickest and most reliable is of course electronic. Most bill pay services behave similarly in electronic payments. The unreliable part comes in with paper checks through USPS. Additionally, there is one minor detail in laser checks. Most banks debit your account on the day when the check is cut. Few others take your money when the check is cashed by the recipient.

I made a few dummy payments with some of my banks I have accounts with. Fidelity is the only one that debits your account when the check is redeemed. Big banks like BoA, Chase, ... all take the money as soon as the check is printed. They might credit your account if the check is not deposited within three months. But that I did not verify :)

Since I have been bitten before by paper checks before, I would avoid it as much as possible. Besides billpay, there are p2p payment services offered by most banks and credit unions (Zelle, Popmoney, PayPal, etc.) Those are electronic, instant, and reliable.

If you must send a paper check through billpay, go with Fidelity. Or you could mail them a check yourself and cut the 3rd party. :)
My 2c.

cu_

Post by cu_ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

I use Fidelity. I had the same needs as you when I started years ago. Fits perfectly. Their app looks modern and has all the bells and whistles (of course, including mobile deposit).

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 am

ProfLA wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am
Charles Schwab bank online platform and Christine service have been superb for me. The monthly deposit limit is $100,000.
What is Christine?

ProfLA

Post by ProfLA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am

8foot7 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 am
ProfLA wrote:
What is Christine?
Sorry, customer service. Damn autocorrect!!! :oops:

gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am

cu_ wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
I use Fidelity. I had the same needs as you when I started years ago. Fits perfectly. Their app looks modern and has all the bells and whistles (of course, including mobile deposit).
+1, no complaints with Fidelity.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 pm

gobigorgohome wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am
cu_ wrote:
I just checked my Fidelity app and it said the daily mobile deposit limit is $200,000, so that's very nice.

ProfLA

Post by ProfLA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I have Fidelity as well as Schwab. One thing I do not like about the Fidelity online platform is that you can only search/download transactions in 90 day blocks. Schwab you can do this for any period over the last 2 years.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Fclevz wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 pm
gobigorgohome wrote:
cu_ wrote:
I just checked my Fidelity app and it said the daily mobile deposit limit is $200,000, so that's very nice.
My mileage varies. I also have a Fidelity cash management account, but only a small amount there as linked to the Fidelity 2% Visa card. Average balance is around $2000. My Fido app shows a daily mobile deposit limit of $10,000.

I've been emailing with my Vanguard rep around both the lost billpay check and mobile check deposit issues. Re the latter he mentions that they have a vendor working on the mobile deposit function. They hope to roll it out in 4Q17. I refrained from pointing out that October is in 4th Quarter 2017. Hope they make it and keep they're old limits ($50,000/day at least for me).

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Chase> BoA in my experience.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Another vote for Schwab

evad

Post by evad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm

There are two requirements I would like to leverage. The ability to auto bill pay electronic bills on the due date and to pay the full amount owed (not just the minimum balance). Does this exist? There are some credit cards I have been unable to even receive electronic bills into the bill pay system like Chase. I believe this is a Chase limitation but am uncertain.

Cash

Post by Cash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm
Fclevz wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 pm
gobigorgohome wrote:
cu_ wrote:
My mileage varies. I also have a Fidelity cash management account, but only a small amount there as linked to the Fidelity 2% Visa card. Average balance is around $2000. My Fido app shows a daily mobile deposit limit of $10,000.
Mine is also $200k. Fidelity has the most generous mobile deposit limits of any financial institution I've seen. You probably just need to put a bit more there or give them a call.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 pm

I have been using Charles Schwab and happy. I also have an account with Navy Federal Credit Union; Their website works just like any online banking.

hightower

Post by hightower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

I use Ally.
Free checking, easy mobile check deposit (50k daily limit), free bill pay. Easy to use all around.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm
Not sure why the varying limits. I parked a bunch of vanguard index funds with Merrill Edge to get their top tier BoA rewards, so maybe that's why?
I use their billpay as well, to save on stamps/control when the check goes out. No problems there either.
It must be the top rewards tier making the difference. I've noticed a 50k per day limit, but not a monthly max. Merrill Edge balance gets me to top rewards status as well.

Have you tried the Merrill Edge app? I've been thinking about it for trades when not able to access a secure computer.

foglifter

Post by foglifter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 am

evad wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
There are two requirements I would like to leverage. The ability to auto bill pay electronic bills on the due date and to pay the full amount owed (not just the minimum balance). Does this exist? There are some credit cards I have been unable to even receive electronic bills into the bill pay system like Chase. I believe this is a Chase limitation but am uncertain.
Both Fidelity cash management and Ally checking offer that.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 am

Longtermgrowth wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 am
arsenalfan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm
It must be the top rewards tier making the difference. I've noticed a 50k per day limit, but not a monthly max. Merrill Edge balance gets me to top rewards status as well.

Have you tried the Merrill Edge app? I've been thinking about it for trades when not able to access a secure computer.
I have ME app but I don’t trade on it, just park funds there to get BoA Platinum Honors Reward. All my purchases are boring Vanguard App auto-buys per my AA.
Last edited by arsenalfan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 am

Check tour local Credit Unions.
Financial Independence is the best revenge. | "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am

evad wrote:
I have this set up through my CC company; Citi pulls the full amount owed each month. This gives me more peace of mind since I travel constantly and can't always monitor things. If I set it up through the bank and the bank didn't make the payment for some reason, I would be on the hook.

I'm curious why you prefer to set this up through the bank, rather than have the payee pull the money?

evad

Post by evad » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 am

Hayden wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am
evad wrote:
I have this set up through my CC company; Citi pulls the full amount owed each month. This gives me more peace of mind since I travel constantly and can't always monitor things. If I set it up through the bank and the bank didn't make the payment for some reason, I would be on the hook.

I'm curious why you prefer to set this up through the bank, rather than have the payee pull the money?
I would have to managed it in 20 different places with each credit account. I much rather have the bank push it and control the pay date, verify the accuracy of the payment, etc..

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:50 am

8foot7 wrote:
ProfLA wrote:
What is Christine?
A Stephen King novel from the 1980's about a teenager and his diabolically-possessed car named Christine. Scary stuff. :shock:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

aqan

Post by aqan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:02 am

ProfLA wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am
8foot7 wrote:
ProfLA wrote:
What is Christine?
Sorry, customer service. Damn autocorrect!!! :oops:
you had my attention for a moment :)

InterestingMoney

Post by InterestingMoney » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

+1 for Schwab. I love my (so-called) high-yield checking account. Free checks, free ATM withdrawals, free mail-in deposits. Pitiful yield, but I can live with that, since my savings are elsewhere.

bulbul

Post by bulbul » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:54 pm

I love Discover Checking account. When you do a billpay, you get 1 cent as a cash reward. :D I link the checking account with their online savings account.