2 diff devices for Lastpass MFA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
hlfo718

2 diff devices for Lastpass MFA

Post by hlfo718 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I am sharing my lastpass with my wife but since I have added MFA using my phone (Microsoft Authenticator), is there a way to add my wife's phone to the same account as well so she can login without needing my phone?

Thank You

Nummerkins

Re: 2 diff devices for Lastpass MFA

Post by Nummerkins » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

You might need to set it up again. Scan the QR code or enter the recovery code into both devices. If you have the recovery code you can try using that on the second device. This works for Google auth, not sure about MS.

Top99%

Post by Top99% » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 am

If the remedy suggested by Nummerkins doesn't work an alternative is to use Grid authentication and keep a copy of the grid on each device. We use that for a combination of 2 different computers, an iPad and 2 phones for my wife and I and it works well and is simple. It is definitely worth your effort to get MFA working since it is a good defense against key loggers.
Adapt or perish

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:46 am

I do this with a Yubi key. I have one on my keychain, wife has one for her's, and I have an extra one in a safe location just in case either-both are lost. All three are able to be used for the same LastPass account, and any are easy to deactivate within the interface.

Edit: Just realized you're talking about a mobile device. Not sure on your model of phone, but at least with the iPhone you can set up MFA with password/fingerprint after the device is authorized within the desktop Lastpass vault.