Mint - Issues with showing my account details

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tampaite

Mint - Issues with showing my account details

Post by tampaite » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 am

Migrated all my accounts from Yodlee to Mint last week and ever since am getting the below message.

Code: Select all

Uh-oh. Something went wrong.
Refreshing may solve the issue.
Very disappointed with Mint experience so far. Is this an issue with Mint or my browser(tried multiple but same issue)?

Thinking of re-creating all of my accounts with personal capital or another site aggregator, any suggestions?

leonidas

Re: Mint - Issues with showing my account details

Post by leonidas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 am

I left mint years ago when they were swallowed up by intuit. Personal capital is a great tool for tracking and that’s what I use now. It not reallly focused on budgeting so if that is your main purpose then I would look for something else. It does track spending.

TSWNY

Post by TSWNY » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 am

I've been using Mint for about 2 years now and in the beginning it was a little goofy, but the last year it's been good. That is up until about 3 days ago when all my stuff from Vanguard went haywire. For some reason it is duplicating all my Vanguard accounts. I'm hoping they get this straightened out in the next day or so.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am

TSWNY wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 am
I've been using Mint for about 2 years now and in the beginning it was a little goofy, but the last year it's been good. That is up until about 3 days ago when all my stuff from Vanguard went haywire. For some reason it is duplicating all my Vanguard accounts. I'm hoping they get this straightened out in the next day or so.
I'm having the duplication issue for all investment accounts, too.

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm

It's easy to deal with the bugs. I had the Vanguard issue too. I simply went to Hide on the right handside of Overview and hid the new duplicate from everything.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 pm

TSWNY wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 am
I thought I'd suddenly become rich for a second when I opened mint this weekend. Nope, just a duplication. Mine actually vanished almost instantly and seems totally normal again now.
Sarah

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm

leonidas wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 am
I left mint years ago when they were swallowed up by intuit. Personal capital is a great tool for tracking and that’s what I use now. It not reallly focused on budgeting so if that is your main purpose then I would look for something else. It does track spending.
+1 (and a good spreadsheet) :)
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

riversedge

Post by riversedge » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:39 am

I’ve had the same issue with Personal Capital. I was told by them that they use Yodlee for their aggregation services (and I think Mint does too) so switching may not solve the issue for you.

bluerafters

Post by bluerafters » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 am

Always wanted to leave Mint myself but every time I try something local it just doesn’t give me the same convenance as Mint. Kind of a love/hate relationship.

Rob Bertram

Post by Rob Bertram » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am

I've been using Mint since 2013 (or maybe 2012--I can't remember). It frequently (every 3-4 months) doubles or triples accounts. I notice it mostly on investment/retirement accounts and rarely on credit cards. In the beginning, I didn't mind manually closing the extra accounts, but it does get annoying. Your net asset and liabilities for that month stay permanently broken, so there is no good monthly trend when this happens. The account duplication seems to happen more often now. I am assuming that it is caused by the institutions changing formats of their websites.

Current state, I find Mint mostly unusable. I still like the idea of an account aggregation service where you get to see everything in one spot. I am left-brained and have no problems falling back to a spreadsheet, but my wife is right-brained. Her eyes glaze over as soon as I mention a spreadsheet.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am

Rob Bertram wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am
I've been using Mint since 2013 (or maybe 2012--I can't remember). It frequently (every 3-4 months) doubles or triples accounts. I notice it mostly on investment/retirement accounts and rarely on credit cards. In the beginning, I didn't mind manually closing the extra accounts, but it does get annoying. Your net asset and liabilities for that month stay permanently broken, so there is no good monthly trend when this happens. The account duplication seems to happen more often now. I am assuming that it is caused by the institutions changing formats of their websites.

Current state, I find Mint mostly unusable. I still like the idea of an account aggregation service where you get to see everything in one spot. I am left-brained and have no problems falling back to a spreadsheet, but my wife is right-brained. Her eyes glaze over as soon as I mention a spreadsheet.
Add a first page as your custom dashboard with charts and whatnot! It's fun and graphical!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 am

I can't see any accounts and this is going on day-4 now.

Can someone login into their mint account and let me know if they can see their accounts? If so, then issue is likely with my browser setting or laptop.

simmias

Post by simmias » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 am

It's you.

Are you navigating away from the page while it updates? Don't even minimize it or open another tab. Just sit there and stare while it updates, or go pour a cup of coffee or something. In my experience, anything else will give you the error you've reported.

If you've already been doing that, then send a message to their support. They'll get you fixed eventually.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:29 am

simmias wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 am
It's you.

Are you navigating away from the page while it updates? Don't even minimize it or open another tab. Just sit there and stare while it updates, or go pour a cup of coffee or something. In my experience, anything else will give you the error you've reported.

If you've already been doing that, then send a message to their support. They'll get you fixed eventually.
Thanks!

TheGuitarMan

Post by TheGuitarMan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

I was a Mint user for three years, now I wouldn't use it if you paid me. Terrible glitches, inability to connect to or refresh accounts properly. Duplication mistakes that permanently throw off graphs and reports. It's just a complete and utter mess. I do not have a single good thing to say about them.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Mint user since 2011 (?). I have a dozen linked accounts -- all cash accounts (savings, checking) of various registrations or credit accounts. I have one emergency account (Orange -> Cap One 360) that never syncs and is a perpetual black box, but I seldom touch it. Others come and go -- seem to drop off and then reappear. It was infuriating when I expected this to be my "perfect" system. Now I use it like a safety net. I log on every day or two to assess for unauthorized charges (from strangers or family members!). I download all transactions as .csv file whenever I remember (it's a big file after all these years). There is a lot of nonsense -- when I autopay my credit card, it's a credit to that account -- even though I haven't paid myself. For me, it's most useful for assigning tax-relevant "tags" to individual transactions -- 529-related, charitable, etc. -- and that helps me pull everything together quickly at tax time. It's not so flawless that I can skip the manually-going-through-my-statements step, but I end up identifying very little that's new when I do that now in April.

But yeah, if you're looking at a graph of lifetime spending, you could be off by a factor of two.