Credit Freezes and Deceased Persons

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
azurekep

Credit Freezes and Deceased Persons

Post by azurekep » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:03 pm

I've read that the Social Security Administration reports deaths to the credit bureaus but that it can take months.

Let's assume a death has occured two years ago. Is it still necessary to put a freeze on the deceased's account or even to inform the credit bureaus of the death?

Re: Credit Freezes and Deceased Persons

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Just send a copy of the death certificate of the deceased to the credit bureaus and don't worry about it any longer.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:19 am

If the estate of the deceased has been through probate, forget about it.

DMW

Pretzel lover

Post by Pretzel lover » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 am

Whether death was recent or many years ago....how would one check if the deceased person's credit was frozen?

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Pretzel lover wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 am
Whether death was recent or many years ago....how would one check if the deceased person's credit was frozen?
OP here. That's partly why I'm asking the question.

I tried a freeze at four of the credit bureaus. Two went through, two said they couldn't be processed. I was a bit surprised that the response wasn't uniform at the four organizations.

I called one of the bureaus that wouldn't allow the freeze and they said to send in a copy of the deceased's SS card or death certificate. They would then mark the account with a deceased flag. I will do this but am still unclear why this is needed. If someone opens an account using a deceased person's SSN, how does that affect the deceased's family? The Social Security Agency already knows the person is deceased and death certificates are available in case there is ever any question.

Pretzel lover

Post by Pretzel lover » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Maybe the answer to the question about how to check for a freeze on a deceased person's credit was too obvious but I don't know what it is

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Pretzel lover wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm
Maybe the answer to the question about how to check for a freeze on a deceased person's credit was too obvious but I don't know what it is
All you can do is try placing a freeze on the account. If it goes through, that means there wasn't a freeze already on the account.

If it won't go through, you'll have to do some additional digging. The digging probably won't be easy. From what I can tell, status information on a deceased's account is not given out over the phone. just submit the SS card and/or death certificate to the credit bureau(s). You may never know whether a freeze was placed on the account, but you will have the account flagged as "deceased".

Post by 123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 am

If credit bureaus are aware of a death one would hope that would mean that they do not include the deceased's name and last known address in marketing promotions by credit card companies. That kind of junk mail can be annoying/disturbing to surviving family members.

The former owner of our residence passed away over 20 years ago and a couple of times a year we still get marketing promotions addressed to her in the mail.

As a side note we have gotten mail in the names of people who have never lived at our address. Returning it back to the sender with the notation "Not at this address" never seemed to work very well. However what did work was "Forwarding" it onward to the sender's address.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.