Is it time to jump off the ship (career question)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BogleMelon

Is it time to jump off the ship (career question)

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I am working in a manufacturing company making an average salary of my peers. I am there for less than 2 years (have 15 years of experience in my field)

Things I dislike:
- Antiquated in terms of how work getting done (Even a simple change to my bank direct deposit or W4 requires a paper copy to HR).
- Old softwares.
- Disconnection between us and the higher management. Although my field used to be always beneficial to executives in decision making (everywhere else)
- Everything in paper and hard copies.
- The place itself looks old, dull and dirty.

Things I like:
- The most decent and fair manager I have ever worked with. Retiring in couple of years and I will be in his position (No other employees in the department, and they are preparing me to be so)
- Though it is old and dull looking, but I am still working in an office with a window! Not a cube! Sharing it with my manager.
- Short commute
- Fair amount of stress

Scary signs:
- The company is making losses this year for the first time since 2008. They can't figure out why!!
- The company is privately owned by 1 old owner who owns other businesses as well. His heirs are not interested in that kind of business. If he dies, it is expected that they will sell/liquidate it.
- High employee turnover in general (not so scary sign, but a bad one)

Are these factors enough that I start looking to leave before things go south? Or I am exaggerating and should stay till a tangible real threat on me personally appears? What would you do?
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

runner3081

Re: Is it time to jump off the ship (career question)

Post by runner3081 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:30 pm

I think your "dislikes" aren't anything to be concerned about.

Sure, losing money is a concern, but one should ALWAYS have a resume updated and be browsing job listings at all times, regardless of their current position.

Start putting feelers out and networking, see what is out there. Doesn't hurt.

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm

I agree that your "dislikes" aren't particularly unusual, you'll find those types of conditions in lots of places, big or small.

You've only been there two years so it might be time to consider options. It's not clear that you would be losing anything if you moved onward.

Have no doubt that the owner likely knows why they are losing money. There are lots of things owners can do to suck funds from a business to their own advantage. When it's generally known that money is being lost in a business it's a bad sign.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm
What would you do?
I would check to see what other jobs are available while you can take your time and look for a great one. If you find one that is a lot better then the choice will be easy. If not then you will know that staying in that job is the best choice.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:25 pm

There's nothing wrong with looking into other jobs and careers while you are employed.
Explore everything. Public service, state, federal, city, county, military, etc.
The more you look, the more options you will find. Look for a career vs a "job".
Or, you will not find anything better and fully appreciate where you are.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:37 pm

What age is the owner? Old at 62 is different than old at 75.

If the owner is 75 (or more) and you know that his heirs don't want to be involved in the business, then I would look for a new job.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm
What would you do?
I would check to see what other jobs are available while you can take your time and look for a great one. If you find one that is a lot better then the choice will be easy. If not then you will know that staying in that job is the best choice.
+1

Hard to make a comment without knowing what the alternatve is. The only thing that would be of concern to me is that the sole owner and heirs.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm

delamer wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:37 pm

If the owner is 75 (or more) and you know that his heirs don't want to be involved in the business, then I would look for a new job.
Old as 89 or may be more
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Stay on the ship until it starts taking on water.
Until then, have a lifeboat (at least several job prospects) ready. :shock:

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:44 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm
delamer wrote:

Old as 89 or may be more
How big is the company? Is it likely that it could be sold and continue to operate, or do you think there is a significant risk of job loss for you?

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:44 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm
delamer wrote:

Old as 89 or may be more
How big is the company? Is it likely that it could be sold and continue to operate, or do you think there is a significant risk of job loss for you?
Pretty big! I can not tell what kind of scenarios will be possibly be implemented in the future.