Similar to: Can I Afford it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
cbr shadow

Similar to: Can I Afford it?

Post by cbr shadow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I dislike listening to Suze Orman in general, but I'm always intrigued by the "Can I afford it" portion where someone spills all of their financial details (debt, savings, investments etc) and then asks if they can afford to buy an item.
Is there something similar out there in the form of a podcast? I like the "Case Study" thing, maybe because I'm nosey or like to compare myself to others or something. Anyways, let me know what you think.

Edit: to fix typo

PFInterest

Re: Similar to: Can I Afford it?

Post by PFInterest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 pm

no clue.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm

I like the can I afford it segments too.

Some of the posts on Bogleheads could be simplified to "Can I afford it".

And of course, if you have to ask, the answer is probably no!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

totality

Post by totality » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm
I like the can I afford it segments too.

Some of the posts on Bogleheads could be simplified to "Can I afford it".

And of course, if you have to ask, the answer is probably no!
That might be true in general, but here on the Bogleheads, I often see questions from people who seem to have a near pathological level of penny-pinching. (I say this as a pathological penny pincher myself! :) )

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

The Bogleheads forum is far superior in every way to Suze Orman.
One can list one's financial portfolio, etc, etc.
Then pose a "can I afford it?"

Answers will range from how to tweak one's portfolio to afford the purchase, why not to buy the item, all the way to how to afford it in 30 years.
Also included will be tax implications, legal implications, employment implications, marital implications, and sleep factor. :shock:

Actionably: turn to the Bogleheads for "can I afford it?" . . . you need go no further. :D
Not a financial expert - just a retired businessman hacking out of a sand trap -- again.

RedClay

Post by RedClay » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00 pm

There is a podcast called Better Off that roughly meets your criteria. The host is Jill Schlesinger. She has two 10 minute segments per week where she answers callers' questions about investing and personal finance. The callers don't often ask if they can buy a consumer product - it's more often questions about retirement or financial planning. It's pretty similar to the Bogleheads in terms of viewpoint and quality of advice. I recommend it.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Probably a dumb question but ... what does "can I afford $X for this thing" question mean?

You have net worth of $Y and you are asking about spending $X. Does the question mean whether $Y > $X ? (Similar with available cash flow of $Y/month or year and paying $X per month or year for the "thing")

Obviously you will have $Y - $X in the end for other things (even if it's a negative number)...

Or is it more like "would you advise that I spend $X on this while leaving $Y-$X for what *you* consider as more important things"?

Or is it more of a "does the thing have a value of $X or more"?

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am

PFInterest wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 pm
no clue.
Then why post? I imagine you're trying to get your post count up? lol!

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

RedClay wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00 pm
There is a podcast called Better Off that roughly meets your criteria. The host is Jill Schlesinger. She has two 10 minute segments per week where she answers callers' questions about investing and personal finance. The callers don't often ask if they can buy a consumer product - it's more often questions about retirement or financial planning. It's pretty similar to the Bogleheads in terms of viewpoint and quality of advice. I recommend it.
I appreciate the recommendation and will check this one out.