Can someone clear up my confusion with unfreezing credit to check my credit score?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
investwise1983

Can someone clear up my confusion with unfreezing credit to check my credit score?

Post by investwise1983 »

Bogleheads,

I know by law that we are allowed to check our credit from the 3 agencies once a year for free and I'm planning on checking my credit in a few days through annualcreditreport.com, but I've got some questions about the process. My credit is frozen and has been for many years. I'm very confused on the process of checking the credit seeing that it's frozen. When I fill out the information through annualcreditreport.com, when do I give my pin numbers associated with the 3 credit bureau agencies? Will there be an option to provide this information?

Do I have to unfreeze them temporarily before in order to check them? I'm really confused about this and I know there have been a lot of posts recently about freezing your credit. :confused

Many Thanks!
runner3081

Re: Can someone clear up my confusion with unfreezing credit to check my credit score?

Post by runner3081 »

You do not have to unfreeze to check them yourself.
BolderBoy

Re: Can someone clear up my confusion with unfreezing credit to check my credit score?

Post by BolderBoy »

... and your subject line indicates to check your credit score (FICO score). There are many other sources that will provide that for free. If you have a credit card, its website may offer that service at no charge (Citi does this). Your banking institution may as well.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
afan

Post by afan »

Checking your score and checking your report are different. When you get your report, you do not necessarily get a score. When you get a score you do not also get a report.

My credit card that provides credit scores is still doing that, in spite of my credit freeze. Since you cannot freeze access of companies that currently extend you credit, the credit card is not blocked by the freeze.
I have not tried to check my report, but logically, I should be able to see it.

The freeze does not mean the credit agencies stop collecting data on you. It is supposed to mean that they will not provide these data to companies with which you are not already doing business.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

You can get your score + report for free even if your report is frozen. I work for a company that offers this service, feel free to PM me if you want my biased recommendation of which service to use :D. That being said, if you just want to see your score and report, there are several good options.