Weird, meaningless, but fun net worth threshold!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nearly A Moose

Weird, meaningless, but fun net worth threshold!

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am

I woke up this morning, checked Personal Capital (not my primary tracker for retirement planning, but a useful-enough daily check), and saw that my net worth is now more that the outstanding principal on my mortgage! I recognize this is a totally meaningless threshold, but it's still kind of neat in that my mortgage principal has always felt like "a really big number" (and still does!), so it's pretty neat to see my net worth surpass it, at least one paper. Now, of course, this net worth figure includes a slightly generous estimate of my home equity, so it's not like I could just liquidate and pay off the mortgage if I had wanted to, but nonetheless it felt like something worth celebrating with my web friends. A year and a half ago when I found this forum, I don't think I would have expected to be in this position already.

Happy Friday everyone :)
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

lostdog

Re: Weird, meaningless, but fun net worth threshold!

Post by lostdog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

Congratulation! :sharebeer

When you found this forum, did you make lifestyle/finance changes?
Vanguard Total World Equity Index. Simplicity 100% | | | https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTHLtuToSY

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 am

Congratulations. I never would have thought of that as a milestone, but I think it is a good one to note and celebrate! Anything that we can use as a yardstick to keep us motivated and on track is good, as far as I am concerned.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am

lostdog wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am
Congratulation! :sharebeer

When you found this forum, did you make lifestyle/finance changes?
I found this forum as part of a journey away from my old financial adviser, so in that regard, I've completely revamped and simplified my portfolio and investment strategy. And I'm in the process of significantly adjusting my insurance strategy (bye bye whole life). And while I've always valued saving and deferred gratification, I'm becoming much more deliberate about it. (But it's still very much a journey.)

Lifestyle-wise, we've never been frugalists and likely never will, but we've tried to be much more conscious of our consumption. We've spent less on some things and more on others.

In reality, we actually spend more now than we did two years ago, but that's because we have a nanny now... So I'm attributing the gains to a bull market, appreciating house in a HCOL, and mostly from brute force by saving most of several substantial earnings increases. But overall I feel immeasurably better about our long term direction and the path we're on.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:57 am

Great job! Keep plugging away.

I am looking forward to a weird milestone as well and that is when my 401(k) balance exceeds my mortgage balance. That day is coming soon!

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:07 am

Congratulations. This sort-of reminds me of the time that I opened a 3% IRA CD at PenFed and took out a 2.49% HEL (just missed 1.99%) from them for roughly the same amount. That amused me quite a bit.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Congrats! I remember when our net worth became exactly zero after being negative because of the mortgage. I was really happy because I knew it was only going to keep going up from that point onward.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Above $zero net! Congrats! :beer
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:07 am
Congratulations. This sort-of reminds me of the time that I opened a 3% IRA CD at PenFed and took out a 2.49% HEL (just missed 1.99%) from them for roughly the same amount. That amused me quite a bit.
Huh, so you know what it feels like to print money. Pretty cool :)

TheTurtle

Post by TheTurtle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Congratulations! Definitely know that feeling of crossing a theoretical threshold... Time to break out the theoretical bubbly! :sharebeer

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Nice! :sharebeer
Stay on target...

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm

:sharebeer

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm
Congrats! I remember when our net worth became exactly zero after being negative because of the mortgage. I was really happy because I knew it was only going to keep going up from that point onward.
To be clear, that is not the situation here.

OP, congratulations. Always find meaning in the interesting milestones. The major ones don't come often enough.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Congrats!

Next milestone - Your liquid net worth is higher than your mortgage balance...